SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have rusty Taco Bells?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have rusty Taco Bells? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I was wondering if we are some test market or if this new redesign was a nationwide thing. Taco Bells in Michigan are getting redesigned to have bare steel sheeting for significant parts of the front walls. They are left to intentionally rust, looking like crap and staining everything from the runoff.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they look nice.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The one they built last year in my village has the hustled steel exposed.

Purple lights as well !

I haven’t had Taco Bell in over 20yrs.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Oh boy. Have we not learned anything from this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Coliseum

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
People still eat at Taco bell?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Taco Bell is an excellent laxative.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Taco Bell is an excellent laxative.

Well, that is true. If you are plugged up, roll through the drive thru, but just make sure you are less than 10 minutes from home and you have a toilet ready to receive you! Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I’m wondering why you have the Mexican Phone Company in Michigan Razz

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's called Corten steel, it's meant to rust like that and will eventually reach a stable point and stop changing, and is a fairly common architectural design element more often found in modern custom homes and the like.

I've seen it used where it works quite well, if you're into modern aesthetics, but I don't recall seeing it in fast food restaurants. Usually custom homes. Quite edgy for a Taco Bell.
Here's an example in a modern residential setting:

More examples:

https://www.houzz.com/corten-steel

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I was wondering if we are some test market or if this new redesign was a nationwide thing. Taco Bells in Michigan are getting redesigned to have bare steel sheeting for significant parts of the front walls. They are left to intentionally rust, looking like crap and staining everything from the runoff.

Pix?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
and is a fairly common architectural design element more often found in modern custom homes and the like.

It's illegal in my part of the world.

https://ecode360.com/27759606

quote:
Section 304.6 is amended to read as follows (added language in italics, deleted language in [brackets]):
Exterior walls. All exterior walls shall be free from holes, breaks and loose or rotting materials; and maintained weatherproof and properly surface coated where required to prevent deterioration. Exterior walls shall be free from mold and mildew. Painted exterior walls shall be free from faded colors that are not uniform, and touch up paint shall match the existing colors.

quote:
DETERIORATION: To weaken, disintegrate, corrode, rust or decay

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
the breakfast crunch wraps are quite tasty

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with that steel look, judging from 46and2's pictures.

I also still have an occasional meal from Taco Bell, not at all bad in my opinion.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
and is a fairly common architectural design element more often found in modern custom homes and the like.

quote:
Section 304.6 is amended to read as follows (added language in italics, deleted language in [brackets]):
Exterior walls. All exterior walls shall be free from holes, breaks and loose or rotting materials; and maintained weatherproof and properly surface coated where required to prevent deterioration. Exterior walls shall be free from mold and mildew. Painted exterior walls shall be free from faded colors that are not uniform, and touch up paint shall match the existing colors.

quote:

It isn't actually deteriorating beyond a thin superficial sense, and does that by design. It's very strong, usually quite thick, and lasts a long damn time:

quote:
Corten is... a group of steel alloys which were developed to eliminate the need for painting, and form a stable rust-like appearance after several years exposure to weather.

Also, such codes/laws are part of everything that's wrong with bloated government. They go well beyond function and safety and impose purely subjective standards just because some asshole at the time thought it made sense. I have negative-infinity love for such nonsense, especially nonsense carried out by the strong arm of the law. Idiotic bullshit.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
I’m wondering why you have the Mexican Phone Company in Michigan Razz

I seen what you did here. Big Grin

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would think if they dinged a building owner who used this type of effect, and he had his architect go to the hearing and state that this wasn't neglectful deterioration, but a designed effect, I think there's a good chance the hearing officer would accept it.

quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they just got through with a 3 month total resto on ours and no, no rust look at all

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think if they dinged a building owner who used this type of effect, and he had his architect go to the hearing and state that this wasn't neglectful deterioration, but a designed effect, I think there's a good chance the hearing officer would accept it.

Then I'm sure all of those previously dinged would sue the city claiming that they were going for the rusty look too! Wink

I learned of this rule when I got a warning on one of my rentals that had an aluminum storm door with a steel insert (I thought the entire door was aluminum).

Government is out of freaking control.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
People still eat at Taco bell?

after the great restaurant war is over all restaurants will be Taco Bell....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So I guess weathered copper is illegal in your parts too?

Then I'm sure all of those previously dinged would sue the city claiming that they were going for the rusty look too! Wink

I learned of this rule when I got a warning on one of my rentals that had an aluminum storm door with a steel insert (I thought the entire door was aluminum).

Government is out of freaking control.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post