SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Experiences with Nissan?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experiences with Nissan? Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted
My son needed a new car. He drives about 80 miles round trip to work. His 2004 Civic pooped out after 162k miles. To replace it, he just bought a new Nissan Rouge Sport. I looked up the reliability history the brand and it was more sales hype than anything. Their transmission problems seem to be in the past. I hope he didn't make a bad choice. He got a lifetime power train warranty included in the deal. Does anybody have any real ownership experience with the brand. On trips to other continents I see a lot of them. Thanks

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
The Rouge and Murano are decent vehicles. They share the same platform with the Rouge being just a little smaller.
Being late into the current generation (started in 2013) there shouldn't be too many kinks left to worry about.
We looked at them when my wife was in the market for a new vehicle, but she preferred the Ford Escape.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I bought the wife a new 14' Pathfinder and she loves it so far, no problems whatsoever. I would have preferred her choice for a CRV but it's ultimately her vehicle and she chose it. If she's happy..so am I Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Before I bought my Cherokee a couple years ago, I had driven two Altimas and a Sentra before that. My last Altima, which was the only one I had bought new, ran for almost 8 years and 330K miles on the original engine and tranny. The biggest maintenance item was replacing the cats around 225K miles. Absolutely no complaints.

Also in my family, we have a owned a Frontier, a Titan, two Murano’s, and another Sentra. Nissan is easily one of the best values for your dollar out there today, IMHO.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anybody have any real ownership experience with the brand.

I'd look to experiences with the model not the brand along with specifying what your concerns are: such a gas mileage, ride-ability, insurance rates,or whatever your worries are, etc.
My Titan is a 2004 bought new and still is great, my wife's Xterra 2005 bought new also is great.
YMMV

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned both a Frontier and an Xterra.
No problems. Both were tough little vehicles.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. My big concerns are not comfort and convenience items, but rather reliability and longevity. It is a Rouge Sport so I’m sure it shares the platform with something in the Nissan lineup.

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I just rented a Rogue for a few days in Maui. No complaints about driveability/performance, but I found the interior to be less than convenient. There were two cup holders, but nowhere else in/on the console to put stuff. Lots of curved surfaces. Looked nice, but frustratingly unuseful.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I bought a used ‘13 Frontier in Canada and when I moved back to the States I bought a new Frontier. Only routine maintenance needed (fluids, filters, etc).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
http://www.nissan.com/Lawsuit/The_Story.php

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Used to have a Maxima. Ran great until two head bolts broke. Made a HUGE mistake in taking the car to a dealer to have them do the fix; after that visit the car was never the same. Prior to that I did get 16 years of reliable use out of that car. I still miss that 4DSC, even if it really wasn't.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
His 2004 Civic pooped out after 162k miles.

I know quite a few Hondas that have busted 200k. What happened to the Civic?

Posts: 5605 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We have a 2014 Rogue SV that we bought used in 2016 from a Toyota dealership.

The transmission went out at around 40K miles.

We took it to the local Nissan dealership and they immediately made it right. New transmission, loaner car, detail job, did not have to fight with them and we did not spend a penny.

My wife loves lt and I don't mind driving it whe we take it somewhere. The fit and finish seems to be holding up well and there are no issues with any of the systems.

Overall I have been impressed with it and would consider buying a new one.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3900 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
What happened to the Civic? Well the control arms went at 80k. At 100k I did the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and belts routine. Also alternator soon after. Then a couple of years later (50k miles) there was a leak underneath. So I replaced the water pump and did the rest of the required maitenance with the belts, timing belt, tensioner. Ran fine for a while. Master cylinder had problems so I replaced that. Then it started to run hot so it needed coolant once a week, Then once every other day. Then the dealer said I needed a new head gasket. I should have done it when I had the car apart for timing belt/water pump, but no problem at that time. Dealer wanted $1800-2000 to do the gasket.

So I called my cousin Joe over to give me a hand. We took the engine apart again. The intake manifold and exhaust manifold were no fun. Let alone wires, cables, and fuel injection system. After removing the head, we sent it out to a machine shop for a once over. We cleaned up the block while we waited. After installation and torquing, i performed a leak down test. Cylinders number 4 and 3 were leaking into each other. I bought a new gasket and performance bolts $162. Torqued again and still had a leak into the water jacket. At this point we put it back together, knowing a lost cause when I see one. This is a real common problem on 04 and 05 Civics. He had his fill of Honda’s. So that’s what happened to his Civic.

Just as an aside, my daughter has an 05. I did the timing belt shtick on that one about 50k miles ago and am waiting for the other shoe to drop on hers, but she lives in NY so I don’t know how that will work out. By the way I am 66 now and am getting too old for crawling under cars for fun.

posted Hide Post
We purchased a very clean low mile 2015 Pathfinder Platinum last year. Took it on vacation in May. 8 hours each way. No problems whatsoever. Very comfortable and very reliable so far.

Nissan makes a fine vehicle.

Posts: 4130 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Good friend of mine had a 2010 Sentra with a CVT transmission and he was on his 2nd replacement when he sold it at just under 80,000 miles. He will never buy a Nissan CVT vehicle again. Apparently not a rare problem.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs Mike had a 2003 Niss Altima that ate a spark plug... well part of it.

Ruined that cylinder

Took it to Nissan local dealer and the service guy called the guy (whoever that is in the foodchain of higher ups)...asked to replace the entire engine vs. just removing the head and the cylinder, bore it out and replace the piston.

They hesitated for 30 seconds and the local guy said. If it was my daughter I'd approve it....

Whomever was on the phone said "do it".

Took two days...they literally pulled an engine from on hand car for sale and sent us on the way.

We gave that car to my biggest kid for his first car.

Mrs. Mike strayed and got a Traverse, but figure out we weren't having any more kids and we got a 2014 Altima, in 2015. Got a good deal too.

I will never say anything bad about them( Nissan) until they prove other wise.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've got the goofy Nissan loyalty. The daily ride now is a 2002 Pathfinder -- I'll touch the 260k mile mark in a couple of weeks, having had (knock wood if you'd like) no major service. I bought it with the intent of seeing 300k. At this point, it's "run it to failure."

The only time this PF has been in the shop for more than a day was for body work after a college student ran a stop sign. A friend has a 2001 Pathfinder, very similar to mine. She got it with just under 100k miles, and has over 230k now. No sweat. There's a business owner in town with a 1999 or 2000; she's got over 400k miles showing.

My brother had a Nismo Frontier -- he sold it at something over 210k miles, many of those miles hard-earned.

I don't have specific experience with Rogue, but another family member has a 2016 and likes it very well. It's comfortable, quiet, and way easy on gas.

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just semi-retired my 2007 Pathfinder with 335,000 miles on it. I loved the vehicle, but Nissan as a company I will never buy a car from again. This is due to several well-known issues with the model (2005-2012 model year style) that had several issues that were CATASTROPHIC for owners that Nissan refused to recall/fix satisfactorily.

The biggest issue was with a known problem with failing cooling transmission lines that run through the radiators. Those lines would crack, allowing water/coolant to mix with the transmission fluid, basically mixing water with tranny fluid. The results were to destroy the transmission. This little grenade would take some time to show up, but when it did, it was almost always out of warranty and Nissan wanted $6k to replace the transmissions. This should have been recalled with a radiator replacement that would have gotten those junk radiators out of the cars. I got lucky, probably just because I am a bit fanatical about checking my car out. Both my mechanic and I were smelling a super faint whiff of coolant so he recommended a new radiator since I was going into winter. Cost me about $400, but if I would have lost the tranny there was no way I could have swung 6k for a replacement.

There are other known issues, such as the airbags, failing airbag sensors, and another bigger one that bit me.

The Pathfinder also has a known problem with the fuel tank sending unit that fails and thus sends a "Check Engine" code. Only fix is to drop the tank and replace the arm and sending unit that is inside the fuel tank. Fuel gauge fails to work and the check engine light goes on, so vehicle won't pass my state inspection until it is resolved. That whole mess was also not covered by Nissan and cost me over $800 to fix. It is just another well documented failure of an expensive part that the manufacturer should have recalled, but wouldn't bear the cost of. Screw Nissan.

The new Pathfinder has a CVT transmission, not a gearbox, which I avoid. A co-worker bought a new 2015, and his transmission control unit failed at mile 45. Totally dead car on the side of the road. The dealership did give him a new vehicle on that one though.

I will say that I love my 07. I just won't buy another car from Nissan. I replaced it with a 2016 Toyota 4Runner. So far I am very happy with it, but it only has 30k on it. Not even broken in yet! Smile

Posts: 223 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just visited wife’s old friends in CO. They have a 3ish year old Rogue. It is no shit on it’s 3rd, yes 3rd, transmission. 62k miles total and the replacement tranny’s only carry a 1 year/12k mike warranty. They haven’t, yet, had issues with this 3rd transmission but feeling snakebit they are looking for something else.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post