SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Those that have went solar...please chime in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those that have went solar...please chime in Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
We have started with Tesla, based on the recommendations of a few friends. We are going to go with 2 battery packs. However, they are asking us to basically re-roof because our some of our tiles have broke during the inspection. However our roofers that have looked at our roof say we have at least 10 years on them. We are grandfathered in the NEM2.0. Our usage is probably $350-600 a month. If we went with another company, we may not have to re-roof but will lose on the NEM2.0...

What say you?

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6017 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
NEM2.0.

Why would you lose access to the NEM2.0, does Tesla have some kind of special deal with the State Utilities over other solar providers?

https://www.solarreviews.com/b...a-net-metering-nem-2

Reading the attached, didn't see anything about specific providers being required, only the time frame in which you can apply and have to have it installed.

Looks like if you have the paperwork in by April 13 you have up to 3 years to get the system installed.

If you're in California & interested in solar energy, you've probably heard the term NEM. It stands for “net energy metering,” and it refers to the policy that defines how power utilities buy and sell energy from solar customers. California is currently on the second version of this policy, or NEM 2.0.

Understanding how NEM 2.0 works is important: it applies to anyone who is thinking about getting solar panels and is a customer of PG&E, SDG&E, or SCE, and it is a big factor in determining whether or not getting a residential solar system installed is worth it.

It’s even more important today because NEM 3.0 is coming in 2023, and it will lead to worse financial outcomes for solar owners. The California Public Utilities Commission recently designed a new program called Net Billing, which will take the place of NEM 2.0 for people who apply to interconnect a solar system with the grid after April 13th.

If you’re thinking about going solar, there’s still time to get NEM 2.0 for 20 years. Everyone who has a completed interconnection application filed on or before that April 13th deadline can get NEM 2.0 credits, as long as their solar installation is completed within 3 years.

Posts: 23584 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Our house is about 20 yo and have an engineered roof using wood framing and 100 year tiles.

They broke and/or found a number of broken tiles - just replaced the tiles as they went along and/or replaced tiles after all the work was done. But likely our situations / roof are different (not a roof expert). Just giving you some experience info as a baseline.

I'm not sure but I think NEM2 is critical - >NEM2 seems like it reduces the value of solar. Wonder if you can get battery packs w/o solar..... (charge by utility).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave. I got my solar panels through Tesla as well.

Is the issue the tiles or is it the underlayment?

Tiles can be replaced for a few bucks each.

If it's the underlayment, then the tiles can be lifted, underlayment replaced, and tiles relaid. You only have to repair the roof face that actually has the panels on it.

The current state of your roof directly affects the Tesla roof leak warranty. Traditional felt roof underlayment only lasts between 10 and 20 years to begin with.

Also, I used my own vendor to repair my roof (lift and relay).

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those that answered, apparently our roof tiles do not meet the 6.5 psf that tesla requires. We can put composite on and "picture frame" where they will be placing the tiles or just reroof to a 6.5 psf tile...arrgggh

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6017 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My brother just went all solar. He went with a new battery composition that is Lithium Iron IIRC. The fire hazard is substantially reduced and they can be completely discharged and charged to 100% over and over without the problems with Lithium Ion. The batteries are a little larger and heavier but for a static application, it was not a problem.

I can reach out to him if you have any questions.

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I was always under the impression that the roof's warranty/life needs to meet or exceed the warranty on the PV panels. Aren't Tesla panels 20 or 25 years?

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Dumb question (maybe Aeteocles knows): why does the roof tile matter? I get the roof framing but not sure about the roof tiles. The frames for our panels went under the tiles I think. They cut tiles to fit around the solar panel support frame bars. As far as I know, the solar system is not applying any weight on any tile, just the roof under the tiles.

If the roof framework can't bear the weight of the solar panels, that makes sense. But I thought the tiles per se were irrelevant. I could be mistaken.

BTW, is the 6.5 psf a requirement for the amount of panels you're getting? If you buy less panels, do you require a lower psf?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post