SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need some computer expert help for home PC.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some computer expert help for home PC. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
My home PC is a DELL Inspiron 3670. Using Windows 10 (x64). All Windows and Microsoft updates have been applied. The PC is directly connected via cable to my Netgear Router which is connected to my Netgear Modem. I am subscribed to my local cable provider for 100 Mbps and that is what I receive (but more about that later). All browser software is likewise up to date.

In the Microsoft Store is a SPEEDTEST.NET app. This app confirms my 100+ Mbps speed.
In the Google Chrome extension list is a SPEEDTEST.NET app. This app also confirms 100 Mbps.

If I use my Chrome browser to connect to www.speedtest.net, I am only showing <10 Mbps.
If I use my Internet Explorer 11 browser, again, <10 Mbps.
If I use Microsoft Edge browser, again <10 Mbps.

If I use my Android OS tablet and access www.speedtest.net by the Chrome browser using my wifi at .5g, I get 100 or greater.

My son was here last night and his laptop (Windows 10) and the Chrome browser...>100 Mbps

To summarize, in my opinion, the issue is with the installed browsers and PC interface on my PC.

My thought: Something in the bios?

HELP!!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
I don't think the browser has anything to do with the speed, make sure the NIC setting is not set to 10 mbps

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2210 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aguilar64:
I don't think the browser has anything to do with the speed, make sure the NIC setting is not set to 10 mbps

Ethernet Status is set to 1.0Gbps

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
How old is the PC? Did it just start happening?

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by aguilar64:

How?

Right click on the little network icon on the bottom right of the screen and select open network and internet settings

Select Change Adapter Options

Right Click on your Ethernet adapter and select properties

Click Configure under the network adapter

Select Advanced Tab

In the properties look for Speed or Speed and Duplex and click on it. Under the value it should be set to Auto Negotiate and click ok. You can also try setting it to 1Gbt or 100MB and see if it makes any difference.

The reason I ask how old is I have noticed with all my computers over 30+ years have eventually slowed down significantly after a year or two. Just from use and installing and uninstalling software. Now every year I wipe my computer and reload windows and my apps. Returns everything to fast including sometimes network connections. Mind you I have my computers setup so I can easily restore any data I nave created on that computer. Also wipes any malware in the unlikely event I got hit with something.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Speed and Duplex was set to Auto Negotiate, I changed it to 100Mbps to see if it made any difference. It did not. I am going to back out and restart my PC to see if that helps.

This PC is only 5 months old.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
And...that didn't help.

This is frustrating. Both apps tell me I'm connecting at 100Mbps, but getting speedtest.net only gets me about 10Mbps. If, in any search bar I enter SPEED TEST, the browser SPEED TEST again reads less than 10.

Something is throttling my speed via browsers.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
And...that didn't help.

This is frustrating. Both apps tell me I'm connecting at 100Mbps, but getting speedtest.net only gets me about 10Mbps. If, in any search bar I enter SPEED TEST, the browser SPEED TEST again reads less than 10.

Just so I understand the apps are on your PC or your phone?

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
What kind of network cable are you using? (cat5, cat5e, cat6, etc.) Store bought, did you make it? etc.

Which server is the speedtest.net connecting to each time? Are the results listed in mbps or MB/s?

What other speed test URL's have you tried?
What does this one return for you:
http://speed.googlefiber.net/

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
quote:
And...that didn't help.

Just so I understand the apps are on your PC or your phone?

The apps are on my PC. One is from the Microsoft store and one is a Google extension. Additionally, if I type in (on the search bar) SPEED TEST, each browser runs an independent speed test, both of which come back around 8Mbps, but he apps report 100 or greater.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
What kind of network cable are you using? (cat5, cat5e, cat6, etc.) Store bought, did you make it? etc.

Which server is the speedtest.net connecting to each time? Are the results listed in mbps or MB/s?

What other speed test URL's have you tried?
What does this one return for you:
http://speed.googlefiber.net/
8Mbps

BIDEN SUCKS.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Here is a screenshot of my speedtest.net run through my Chrome browser:

Here is a screenshot of the speedtest using the microsoft store app for speedtest.net:

BIDEN SUCKS.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
all of that aside, are you experiencing any slow down?

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
all of that aside, are you experiencing any slow down?

Yes on some video stuff. But the PC is running perfect as if it was new otherwise.

And antiVirus programs are up to date, and scans are clean.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
which antivirus?

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
which antivirus?

Windows Defender and CCleaner. Malwarebytes.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Picture of SIGlord
posted Hide Post
You might check the Chrome extensions. I know Opera has a built in VPN extension that can cause speed discrepencies like the one you are seeing.

Posts: 405 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
I have no extensions running on Chrome. And I am having the same issue on both IE11 and Bing.

BIDEN SUCKS.

posted Hide Post
Are you using the same server to test each time?
Is the video slow down happening in both browsers?
What about on other machines?

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Speedtest.net you can click on different locations. Make sure you are testing against one close to you. Have you run a boot time scan? If you are running speed tests to the same servers, then it might be something else creating issues with your browser. Maybe do a clean install of Chrome?

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post