SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6 Passenger SUV
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 Passenger SUV Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The Toyota Sienna is offered in AWD.

While vans have a stigma about them, which I believe is not true, you can't argue with their utility. We were going to go with the Sienna or Odyssey before we got the Highlander. The vans were considerably bigger than the Highlander and space fitting inside of our garage would've been an issue. I wasn't going to spend $40k on a vehicle and leave it outside. One of my neighbors has a Lexus CUV and hybrid car, they sit outside while junk sits in the garage.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

While vans have a stigma about them, which I believe is not true, you can't argue with their utility. We were going to go with the Sienna or Odyssey before we got the Highlander. The vans were considerably bigger than the Highlander and space fitting inside of our garage would've been an issue. I wasn't going to spend $40k on a vehicle and leave it outside. One of my neighbors has a Lexus CUV and hybrid car, they sit outside while junk sits in the garage.

Depending upon ones scenerio I can certainly argue their utility.
We had our for a year and it was miserable.

Back to the OP is there are reason the Explorer is not on the list?

You are going to be crowded with 6 in any midsize SUV. Also at 40k new your creature comforts are going to be limited. Some folks like myself are good with that.

Yes, you can be in a full-size 2 year old Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban for under 40k even with an extended bumper to bumper warranty.

Though I would also check out the VW Atlas pretty sure they can be had for under 40k new.

We have a loaded 2012 Highlander and it is very nice. In laws just got a 2019 Loaded Highlander and it is nice as well. They are certainly a good option. Though my wife and I both prefer to drive our Expedition which is a stripped down XLT model. Rides better than both Highlanders.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25704 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Too bad you missed out in this one!

Father Of 11 Posts Hilarious Craiglist Ad Selling Family Van

Federalist
Juliana Knot
AUGUST 3, 2018

Most car salesmen try to downplay the flaws of the vehicles they’re selling. Not this guy.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Dodge Durango with Hemi

They ride REALLY well.

We just bought my wife a GT model which is the V6, only had it for three weeks but it seems to be a very well built vehicle and she loves it. Big jump up from here 2012 Terrain and is actually getting better fuel mileage, this is helped by the 8 Speed transmission no doubt.

Hers stickered at $43,600-ish but we got it a decent bit below that and I believe most GT models come with leather trimmed seats that have suede in the center of the seat and seat back and they're very comfortable to sit it. The SXT model comes in a little cheaper though you might not get the power lift gate and might have to add the 3rd row seat as an option.

Oh and that V6 moves it perfectly fine. I drive a 2014 1500 4x4 Hemi with the 8 speed and 3.92 gears and the Durango in no way feels sluggish to me.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ‘15 traverse (same as the Acadia). It fits me, my wife, and 3 car seated children and another adult with no issue.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Just went through this....Highlander based on your choices. The wife now has a Highlander and no regrets. Pilot would have been second choice. We opted for the captains chairs for second row.

Posts: 4522 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Depending upon ones scenerio I can certainly argue their utility.
We had our for a year and it was miserable.

Back to the OP is there are reason the Explorer is not on the list?

You are going to be crowded with 6 in any midsize SUV. Also at 40k new your creature comforts are going to be limited. Some folks like myself are good with that.

We’re replacing a Ford Explorer that we bought new in 2007. Never towed with it and had all routine maintenance performed per the manual. We had to repair the ABS system in 2010, the front differential in 2011, and we replaced the both the radiator and the transmission in 2015.

I’ve been driving Fords a long time - I’m still driving my 2003 F150 and it’s going strong with over 190k on the odometer, but this Explorer has been s real disappointment.

Looks like the Subaru Ascent in the Premium trim comes nicely appointed with an MSRP of $34195. We’ll have to take a look at the VW Atlas as well.

Posts: 2589 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have a 1999 C1500 Suburban. IMO, they are hard to beat on the open road with a wife, 3 kids, and all the crap it takes to keep that size crew happy for 14+ hours of road time across most of Texas and 1/2of NM.

The same trip made in a 2004 Honda Pilot was (for me) miserable. Just enough room to ALMOST get my seat far enough back before I was crushing someone’s knees. No wiggle room for ANYONE. I don’t know what manufacturers use for determining “seats” but it ain’t real people. Maybe the aliens from the Roswell crash...

With the suburban you almost had privacy. You didn’t feel like you were always breathing someone else’s air. The kids had to reach out to play the “I’m not touching you” game.

The fuel mileage was actually quite similar, 18 for the ‘burb and 21 for the Pilot. But the ‘burb has a 42gallon capacity. I found I couldn’t sit through an entire tank of fuel in the land yacht. The Pilot, I couldn’t wait to get out of.

The only time the trip was MORE miserable was when you used to take the wife’s 99 GMC Jimmy. Lots of crosswind PTSD in that thing.

In the long run, I got rid of the Jimmy, the Pilot and the wife. Still got the kids and the ‘99 suburban. In the process I eliminated the need to make that trip regularly, also (inlaws). I got the better end of the deal. Smile

Lots of folks, lots of miles?
Go big. I sorely wish Ford still built the Excursion....

Posts: 6346 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what about the mazda cx-9, it comes in awd if i recall.

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at a pilot and I liked it. In its class it’s what I would buy. Not on your list is the Nissan Pathfinder, it’s quite a bit cheaper than a pilot. I have a 14’ pathfinder and it’s been very reliable.

Posts: 214 | Registered: May 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m.tenenhaus:
what about the mazda cx-9, it comes in awd if i recall.

Some close friends own one that we’ve traveled in together. We aren’t impressed with it.

Posts: 2589 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new Pilot last fall. 12k miles with no issues.

3rd row seats have room but the seat is low, knees high.

I have also owned an Odyssey and that’s the ticket for hauling around 6+ people comfortably.

If I was looking for third row comfort I would check out the Ascent and the Atlas.

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yeah, hudr has it right. While I am not a huge fan of newer Chevy's. Virtually 90% of what is being discussed here has very little to do with a rig that can comfortably handle six people. Even two adults and four growing ones.
Not sure what six people means to you. But squeezing them all into a small vehicle makes for a bad life time of travel experiences. Find a good low mile one owner Suburban or Yukon XL and you will have about the best full size people mover on the road.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19778 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Test drove all of these vehicles today and found the Toyota Highlander the best of the bunch. What website should I look at to determine what’s a fair price?

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
When we became a family of 5 we moved up from a Subaru Outback to a Suburban LT with a bench 2nd row. We love the bench in the back. For local grocery getting, the infant sits in the middle of the bench and the older kids on the outboard sides. For longer trips our 6yr old son sits in the back and a parent sits in the 2nd row. It has 18" wheels, so it rides well and doesn't have the buffeting and droning. I can barely fit all 3 across the back of my Accord in their government mandated seats/bucket. I've been looking at replacing it with a Tahoe Custom 4x4 with a front bench seat. They seem to be advertised around $41K with the max tow package that gives you low range. You save $3200 or so with them by GM removing the worthless 3rd row and giving you a lower load height and more room in back. I think captain's chairs in SUVs are a waste of space. The 40 of the 60/40 seat isn't that hard to tumble forward.

Posts: 2606 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good luck 12Ga. I just cannot imagine a family of six in a highlander. Let alone room for anything else. I am assuming you are not really looking for room for six.

No sweat here. Get what you want.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19778 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the long run, I got rid of the Jimmy, the Pilot and the wife. Still got the kids and the ‘99 suburban. In the process I eliminated the need to make that trip regularly, also (inlaws). I got the better end of the deal. Smile .

Lol. I think there's a country music song in there someplace... Big Grin
I do still have my '99 Tahoe although it's not really a family vehicle anymore I do keep it around to haul stuff when I need to.

The Highlander is a good choice.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Check out the VW Atlas. A surprising amount of interior room and comfortable. We looked at them when the wife bought her latest 4Runner. She decided she wanted the off road capability of the 4Runner for getting off the beaten path on her trips to Sedona.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11891 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

check out the VW Atlas
The VW website says that the Atlas has 17 cup holders. Seventeen!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
Test drove all of these vehicles today and found the Toyota Highlander the best of the bunch. What website should I look at to determine what’s a fair price?

Toyota generally does not come nearly as far off their MSRPs as many others do.
The in laws just got a Limited that stickered for 44k they paid 43k out the door. That was the best they could find locally at least.

If you are so inclined a couple year old CPO will save you a bit of money and actually give you a better warranty than factory.
They are a bit more willing to wiggle on prices on those.

Our Higlander and Sienna both were CPOs.
We bought the 2012 Highlander in 2013 with 25k miles. I paid 28k out the door and the sticker was 42,588. I think they were asking 32 plus taxes and license. They also had 11 other used Highlanders at the time and the 2014 (model change) had just come out so that may have played well to the deal we got. Carmax was asking 34k plus tax at the same time.
CPO warranty adds 12 months/12k miles bumper to bumper and 7 year 100k Powertrain (new has no powertrain warranty past 3 year/36k bumper to bumper).

Also sorry to hear about the old Explorer I had a 2003 that was awesome sold it a year ago to my best buddy and still going strong.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25704 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post