SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6 Passenger SUV
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 Passenger SUV Login/Join 
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted
Mrs 12GA is in the market for a new SUV to replace her 2007 Ford Explorer. We would like seating for six. What do we like?

Question:
What 2019 SUV under $40k should Mrs 12GA buy?

Choices:
GMC Arcadia
Toyota Highlander
Honda Pilot
Subaru Ascent
Other

Posts: 2589 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
All of those are kinda snug in the third row. I liked the Pilot and Highlander at the car show. Today I looked at an Ascent. Looked nicely done and roomy, but $40k on the sticker.

For third row seating used for anything but kids, I think you really need to move up to a larger vehicle class. Adults will not be comfy.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
A few of those choices will handle 6 riders, but realize that with that many people on board, there will be little to no additional storage.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Everything I've read about the Ascent seems to be glowing. It's got more room than a Highlander, plus AWD and Eyesight standard

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The Highlander has a good rep but I like the 4Runner.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did that evaluation and bought the 2018 pilot.

So far I am happy with it.

The 2019 will have wireless apple play, I have to plug in the phone for apple play.

It connects with Bluetooth to make calls automatically without plugging in.

I am getting about 19.5 mpg with mostly city commute.

The millage has been improving as it breaks in.

Posts: 4786 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Isn’t the 4Runner a 5 passenger?

Posts: 2589 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I do not think any of them are a true six person. I would say a suburban or expedition or Sequioa

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19778 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I do not think any of them are a true six person. I would say a suburban or expedition or Sequioa

I think all 3 of those choices will put us outside of the $40k parameter.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Check with Black92Lx, he is very knowledgable on the Ford Expedition/Excursion and said new last year models could be had under $40k . I would trust him and what he knows.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19778 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4runner and CRV feel much smaller.

They are comfortable for 4 and 5 is a squeeze.
My wife drives a CRV, I tend to like Honda vs Toyota.

Posts: 4786 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Dodge Durango with Hemi

They ride REALLY well.

0:01

Posts: 4286 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
quote:

Ya... but they are cool...
Go with the TRD Off-Road Big Grin
https://www.toyota.com/4runner/

quote:

I think that's right... you are going to have to go bigger if there's anyone but a child in the third row.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wifey and I test drove an Acadia this evening. If your third row passengers are much over about 5 feet tall and less than extremely limber, they will have a heckuva time getting into the third row.

Posts: 430 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Upstate NY? Subaru's AWD will handle your winters the best. Plus their Eyesight is proven.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Highlander

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4019 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
We have a 2018 Highlander. Haven't sat in the back yet but unless the people sitting back there are 6' tall, shouldn't have an issue. What will be an issue is space for luggage, stroller, etc. if that's needed. For us, it's not an issue as I have a hitch rack for storage of non-essential items when we take trips.

quote:
quote:

Some 4Runners are offered with the third row.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Gotta move a lot of people?

Wanna move them in realative comfort?

Get yerself one a dem there passenger vans. They ain't sexy, they just haul masses. Shoot there's even some space for cargo in the back.

Or, cram 5 pounds of taters in a 2 pound bag. Smile

Good luck on the search.

edited for typos

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ffips,

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

Wanna move them in realat I've comfort?

Get yerself one a dem there passenger vans. They ain't sexy, they just haul masses.

We spend 5 months of the year driving in snow. I don’t think a van is going to cut the mustard during the winter months.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

Wanna move them in realative comfort?

Get yerself one a dem there passenger vans. They ain't sexy, they just haul masses.

We spend 5 months of the year driving in snow. I don’t think a van is going to cut the mustard during the winter months.

I get that driving in winter conditions can be challenging.

I made some assumptions with my answer. I assumed full sized adults or the potential of car seats. I also assumed space needed for stuff like luggage or groceries etc.

Is your concern with the van size, ground clearance, or not having AWD or 4x4? Do you regularly traverse unplowed roads?

Are you set on mid sized SUVs? I compared dimensions of an explorer and expedition. They are a lot closer in size than you might think. There is only a 8.2" difference in overall length. That might make a world of difference in the 3rd row comfort.

Just tossing out ideas. I trend toward function and comfort.

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post