SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The delightful aroma of mimeographed papers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The delightful aroma of mimeographed papers Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
As a Senior in high school, I took Journalism - which consisted mainly of reporting, editing and printing the school paper every week. This would be 1967-8

Being mechanically minded, I got elected to run the mimeograph it was printed on. Can't remember for sure if it was hand cranked or electric. Thinking electric because we printed like 400 copies every week. Collating and stapling was part of the fun as well.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

YOu had tablets AND a stylus? Man we just scratched our math in the mud with the same finger we picked our noses with.
You had mud? We had to use the walls in the cave.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Barely recall the smell but I remember how crappy the copies were. It was a big deal when the school got a modern copier.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I loved that smell Yep I'm old

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'm going to file a class action lawsuit over the amount of blue ink i was forced to sniff daily at school (especially around Quiz times).

Now, I have to not only endure a piss wake up at 2am but memory loss during the day at times and, worse a small forest growing out of my nose and ears.

It's all because of going to school in the 50's and 60's.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I not only remember the smell associated with mimeographs, I also remember the smell from its predecessor, Hectographs. ......
flashguy

I remember this. Specifically 4th grade in 1958-1959.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I'm 40 and I remember them, our public school used them. It was the yin to our the yang of our ONE Apple IIe in the entire school each classroom had the opportunity to gather around in the hallway once a week to play Oregon Trail.

My wife is a year younger than me. We were talking about this last month, she had no idea what it was.

Posts: 2524 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah… I remember that smell. That also reminds me of my 3rd grade teacher and her mini skirts. Man, oh man, I had a crush on her. Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I remember the smell of mimeographed papers, and my 5th grade teacher was a hottie who wore miniskirts every day.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I too remember the smell of the mimeograph in the school office.

I also spent much of my career in pressrooms, both sheetfed and web. And even as a draftee during the Vietnam era. After basic training at Ft. Polk, where virtually everyone went to Vietnam, I was given a “Civilian Acquired Skill” as a pressman and ended up in Ft. LeonardWood in a Field Printing Unit. You never forget that smell of ink.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
My third grade teacher dressed like a penguin.

Posts: 1576 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
my 5th grade teacher was a hottie who wore miniskirts every day.
One of my teachers wore miniskirts.

I really wish that he hadn't. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Yes, anyone 55 or older (maybe closer to 60) will remember the smell of mimeograph ink or solvent or whatever it was.

I'm 48 and remember "ditto" sheets and the purple stuff! We still had them in 4th grade, so 1982 or so.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
my 5th grade teacher was a hottie who wore miniskirts every day.
One of my teachers wore miniskirts.

I really wish that he hadn't. Razz

You’ve got style Mr. VT. That one was worth a chuckle.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that a snarky Nun joke??

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Either that or his teacher wore a tuxedo.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the "memories". Made me feel young again!

Posts: 162 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nuns, yes.
Don't let those Nuns fool you, they can swing a mean stick.

Posts: 1576 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I remember having to do mimeographs when I was student teaching in an old high school. The mimeograph had its own small room with supplies needed to run it. It was the only room in the school that you wouldn't see roaches, mice or the occasional rat. It always made me wonder what was in the fluid needed to run it.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Taught high school earth science in the early 70s. Every Thursday afternoon/ Friday morning the only sound you heard in the office was "Ka-CHUNK...Ka-CHUNK...Ka-CHUNK...Ka-CHUNK...Ka-CHUNK...

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post