SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Going PC - First Model To Wear Hijab & Burkini
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Going PC - First Model To Wear Hijab & Burkini Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I hate this PC crap. Everyone clamoring to be the first idiot to promote the first left-handed bi-sexual midget transgender sunni astronaut. Now, SI is having a PC swimsuit issue with one model wearing a PC (for Islam) burkini and hijab instead of a swimsuit.
quote:
WATCH: Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Reveals First Model To Wear Hijab, Burkini

The hijab and burkini have officially made their debut in the pages of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit.

In a series of social media posts Monday, the magazine unveiled some of its new swimsuit models, including 21-year-old Somali-American model and activist Halima Aden, whom the publication is touting for "making history" by being the first to ever wear the Islamic garb for SI Swimsuit.

The magazine posted a photograph of Halima on Monday wearing an electric blue burkini, which fully covers her arms and legs, as well as a multi-colored hijab covering her hair — garb designed to conceal women's bodies in alignment with Islamic moral codes.

"Halima Aden makes history as the first model to wear a hijab and burkini for Sports Illustrated Swimsuit," the publication tweeted Monday.

The magazine then retweeted a post by model Hunter McGrady touting the debut of Islam-inspired full-body coverings. "Once again, so proud to be a part of this incredible issue," wrote McGrady.

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit also posted a video of Aden discussing her opportunity to wear Muslim garb for the magazine. "I never really felt represented because I never could flip through a magazine and see a girl who was wearing a hijab," she said in a quote highlighted by the publication.

In a press release, SI Swimsuit editor MJ Day emphasized that by including Aden in this year's publication, the magazine is attempting to present an expanded "range and scope of the type of beauty that exists" and further affirm women's individuality and self-worth.

"Having Halima as a part of SI Swimsuit is yet another example of the range and scope of the type of beauty that exists," said Day, HuffPost reports. "Her participation and inclusion further highlights the brand’s commitment and belief in supporting women to own who they are and what makes them unique and ultimately reaffirms what our messaging has been, that YOU are worthy."

"This feature is proving that a fully covered hijab wearing model can confidently stand alongside a beautiful woman in a revealing bikini and together they can celebrate one another, cheer each other on, and champion each other’s successes," said Aden in a statement. "Young Muslim women need to know that there is a modest swimsuit option available to them so they can join the swim team, participate in swim class at school and go with their friends to the beach. Muslim girls should feel confident taking that step and doing so comfortably while wearing a burkini."

Aden's photoshoot was conducted in Kenya, where, as Page Six highlights, "she was born into a refugee camp and lived until she was seven years old." The magazine features Aden in two different burkinis designed by No Ka’Oi and Cynthia Rowley, the outlet reports.

While the magazine is promoting the modesty-focused attire of Aden, it also continues to promote its more "traditional" swimsuits, like that sported by McGrady. "Hunter McGrady's bride squad knows how to throw a bachelorette weekend!" SI Swimsuit tweeted in a post retweeted by McGrady.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
This feature is proving that a fully covered hijab wearing model can confidently stand alongside a beautiful woman in a revealing bikini and together they can celebrate one another, cheer each other on, and champion each other’s successes," said Aden in a statement. "Young Muslim women need to know that there is a modest swimsuit option available to them so they can join the swim team, participate in swim class at school and go with their friends to the beach. Muslim girls should feel confident taking that step and doing so comfortably while wearing a burkini."

OR....quit the silly 8th century beliefs and move on into a modern world?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
The swimsuit edition is a little silly in the age of the internet, but the idea of a swimsuit issue featuring someone not in a swimsuit is even sillier.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
More deranged sucking up by the anti-christian left to those who would seek to eradicate our existence.

"Burkini"...what a joke. Eek Red Face

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sales of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit calendar are going to drop, I betcha.

I wish I had a SI subscription so I could cancel it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
More deranged sucking up by the anti-christian left to those who would seek to eradicate our existence.

"Burkini"...what a joke. Eek Red Face

Anti-Christian?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I bet they did their market research, and decided net sales would go up. After all, it is only one page, and it opens up an entirely new market to exploit. The early bird gets the worm. Not saying that I like it. I just can see why they did it. They made a calculated decision that they would pick up more sales from that new audience, then they would miss from those few that might boycott the issue. $$$

posted Hide Post
I miss the days of Cheryl Tiegs, Kathy Ireland, Elle McPherson....

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I thought posing seductively like that could get you raped in that wonderful culture.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Going PC?

SI went off the rails years ago. I don’t know anyone who reads it even if it’s just for the swimsuit issue.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Report This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I miss the days of Cheryl Tiegs, Kathy Ireland, Elle McPherson....

Me too. Cheryl was amazing.

It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Going PC?

SI went off the rails years ago. I don’t know anyone who reads it even if it’s just for the swimsuit issue.

"Reads" ??

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
They could really boost their circulation in the Mideast with pictures of Burkini-clad goats and camels!

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Now it's just a race among leftists to see who can out-stupid everyone else.

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Off topic, but print media is going away. Jann Wenner recently sold Rolling Stone. SI is on life- support. The swimsuit issue is the only thing keeping them alive, imo. They will be gone soon, I believe.

posted Hide Post
I quit reading SI looong time ago. I also really don't care about what they for their swimsuit issue. I think though that if they just did the photos without virtue signaling how woke they are for having Muslim swimsuits it would be much better. i.e. if you want to publish a swimsuit issue with a Hijab etc, that's fine, just don't preach to me how awesome you are because you did it.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Totally agree, people aren't buying the SI Swimsuit to be politically correct. They're buying it for some other reason that I can put my finger on Confused

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Dhimmitude sucks.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Totally agree, people aren't buying the SI Swimsuit to be politically correct. They're buying it for some other reason that I can put my finger on Confused

Thats right. It is all about money. SI is making the best of it for now, and they will eventually be out of business. Specialized digital media will put them out of business in the next few years.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I freelanced for Sports Illustrated for about 18 years as a photo assistant/lighting tech. I even got to work a Swimsuit Issue shoot in the Cayman Islands. One of the best jobs of my career. I did not read the magazine after high school though.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Report This Post