SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody here "Working in/for a lab"? UPDATE Pg 2.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody here "Working in/for a lab"? UPDATE Pg 2. Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about forensic/crime labs, which I haven't seen mentioned here yet.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
If he wants to work in a diagnostic medical lab, Medical Technologist or Medical Technician programs.

Medical Technologists is usually a 4yr degree, a BS or BA.

Medical Technician is usually a 2yr degree, an associate degree.

Both programs require a 1 yr lab rotation to get certified. These people work very had with non-stop lab testing. You basically work in a medical lab factory. The pay is OK, but low for someone with a 4yr biology degree. He could supplement his biology degree with a Med Tech program, but you need to talk to some at the school that has the program.

I worked a Medical Technologist right out to college due to limited jobs. I worked my first year as a trainee due to not have been through a Med Tech program for the lab rotation. I was scientifically over qualified but it turned out to be a good lab experience, during which I got my graduate degree with help from the company. I then moved on to real science in vaccine research.

I recommend speaking with someone that school with such a program, or try getting a job in pharmaceutical research if possible and let the company pay for a Masters Degree.

Just my own experience,

Mike

Molecular Biologist/Immunologist

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:

When I got my degree in Biology (same as your kid - I started pre-med and realized I wasn't quite studious enough), I quickly realized that a generic biology degree would get me nowhere.

I take exception with that statement. Big Grin My generic biology degree did okay for me. Maybe I could have done better if I wasn’t a loud mouth and if I played to corporate game better. But I make a darn good living with awesome benefits and 7 weeks vacation.

"would get ME nowhere" I realized later in life that some folks were able to do something with that degree. I've met a few pharm sales guys making a killing with a biology degree. But I'm not a sales type person. I'm too introverted for that type of job...

I suppose it depends on how much money is considered successful. But I mentioned quite a few paths which are not sales that could become great careers. I can probably find 100 openings right now that pay over 60K entry level.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
If he wants to work in a diagnostic medical lab, Medical Technologist or Medical Technician programs.

Medical Technologists is usually a 4yr degree, a BS or BA.

Medical Technician is usually a 2yr degree, an associate degree.

Both programs require a 1 yr lab rotation to get certified. These people work very had with non-stop lab testing. You basically work in a medical lab factory. The pay is OK, but low for someone with a 4yr biology degree. He could supplement his biology degree with a Med Tech program, but you need to talk to some at the school that has the program.

Super helpful for me, thanks! Maybe he already knows some of this, but I'm just trying to get my IQ up. I got him a contact for some shadowing at our local hospital lab/pathology department so he'll at least have a vantage of one lab before he heads out to seek employment. Incidentally, I see you're in the Philly area -- it seems he'll be near you, in Allentown I believe.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nights, weekends and holidays for the past 37 years. if he goes the clinical route, that will be life. Comments about medical factories is pretty on point. Important work that’s not really recognized or appreciated. My daughter is a PA and after a couple years she’s making what the wife(med tech too) and I was pulling down at year 20. I recommend your boy sticks it out on his own. Priority should be that, not a girl. If she’s the one, she’ll still be there.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
An update: In short, the girlfriend thing is over. Leaving aside all of those details and dynamics, he'll be staying here. He is still interested in working in a lab. Local currently-posted jobs seem to show:

1. Medical Lab Assistant: entry level. 2 year degree, no certs required.
2. Medical Lab Tech: 2 or 4 year degree and an MLT ASCP or equivalent certification or obtained within one year of hire/transfer within 1 year of employment.

My question is, the MLT requires a cert within one year, but the cert seems to require 3 years of experience before you take the exam. -- Is that normal for an employer to require the cert for an MLT cert within one year? Do some make it three years? Am I misunderstanding the exam experience requirement?

If I'm reading all of this right, he'll need to do a few years as an MLA. I just want to try to help him maximize his current opportunities given all the twists and turns he's been through. I would think there might be an opportunity to land a little better than normal due to the rampant staffing shortages everywhere.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post