SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mechanics/Tinkerers/Fabricators - Shaft input transaxle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanics/Tinkerers/Fabricators - Shaft input transaxle? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Still trying to come up with a cost effective way to return the Shibaura tractor to useful status.

It occurred to me that if I could find a suitable transaxle, I could (possibly...) build the adapters to mate it to the Shibaura.

Most lawn tractor-sized TA's are top-pulley belt drives. That presents a number of problems, not the least of which is overpowering the belt.

Is there anything out there that anyone is aware of that used a shaft-driven transaxle? Hydro would be cool, but gear-shift would work too.

EDIT: The John Deere 316/318 with the Onan engine looks like a possibility.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Maybe find an old Bolens? I thought most of those were shaft drive?

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
Maybe find an old Bolens? I thought most of those were shaft drive?

Worth a look, Thanks.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
My 682 Cub Cadet is hydrostat drive driven by a driveshaft. It is nothing more than a 1/2" shaft that has a shock type coupling.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
My 682 Cub Cadet is hydrostat drive driven by a driveshaft. It is nothing more than a 1/2" shaft that has a shock type coupling.

Thanks, I'll add Cubs to the search list.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Kubota is shaft drive to the hydrostatic transaxle. (not sure about the small riding mowers)
Should be easy to get parts also.

What's the weight of that Shibaura tractor?
My Kubota BX25 with loader and backhoe is just shy of 3000lbs.

Hydrostatic is likely simpler. You won't have to rig up clutch/clutch linkage/transmission input shaft splines matching.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1551 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
1/64 scale or full size? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I glommed onto a John Deere 455 which is (or in this case, was...) a 22hp 3 cylinder diesel (Yanmar) with a shaft driven hydro transaxle that also incorporates a separate hydraulic pump for attachments AND a mid/front PTO.

Got it for scrap prices as the engine was junk, the plastic was a dim memory and it had been sitting out in the weather for years.

It's looking like the Shibauru engine won't be too difficult to retrofit. I've sold enough bits and pieces off the dead Yanmar to nearly pay for the tractor.

I told the owner I'd put the mid-mount 60 inch shaft drive mower deck and the 48 inch power broom on C-List for him. They both sold in less than 24 hours. Might've under-priced them a tad but the owner is happy so it's all good.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Check Surplus Center, they have random stuff and you might find something you can use.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Check Surplus Center, they have random stuff and you might find something you can use.

I have their catalog. Used to get Christmas cards from them... Razz Big Grin

Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
Honda riders did. Ht3813 had a 5 speed gearbox and the HT4514 and 4518 had a hydrostatic.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post