SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First day out with dashcam
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First day out with dashcam Login/Join 
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted
So like many others here, I finally got a dash cam for my own protection. I did not get a very expensive one, mine was $12 and the memory card was $5.

I already think I'll invest in a better one when funds allow. Please forgive the video- I have not fogured out how to edit the clips down and the original is 3 minutes long, so I just shot a wuick video of it playing on my wife's computer.

Please drive safer than this person. I was running at around 65.5-67k pounds. Stood on brake pedal when I saw the front wheel move.

I would have been completely unable to stop if she had hit another car head-on in the other lane.

She did this solely to not be behind me (as she looked right at me and hit gas without looking right) and I was doing 38 in a 40 already.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
That idiot in the accord appears to be the type that tries to beat the train at train crossings.

Almost 3 months with mine so far, and nothing really good. Guess that's a good thing.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Wow, that'll raise your heart rate! Did you lay on the horn?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Had to hit my save button twice today. Some day I'll shake my head and have a laugh at these assholes.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had one in my truck when I lived in Calgary.

Scariest video I recorded was a blind person crossing a very busy street and the crossing changed half way. It was 3 lanes each direction and 2 turn lanes each direction so not everyone saw him and I was trapped 2 cars back. Fortunately someone saw him, and pulled their car sideways across lanes to block traffic. I was amazed when I viewed it later how fast it occurred as it seemed in slow motion.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23655 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Lucky he did not end up with that Mac hood ornament shoved up his ass.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Duke of Detroit
posted Hide Post
I have used a dash cam for the last five years now. I won't leave the terminal without it. It's a cheap insurance policy in my opinion. I ride around Detroit every day, and cross the Ambassador Bridge almost every day. I can't begin to tell you how many near misses I have seen. I had two today. One jerk-off blew a red light while I was making a right turn and damn near tore the front end of my tractor off. They don't give a rats ass in the hood. If it's drivable they keep going. if its not drivable they run like hell.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas

Posts: 1047 | Location: Detroit, MICHIGAN | Registered: May 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Wow, that'll raise your heart rate! Did you lay on the horn?

Didn't really raise my heartrate or have time for the horn. You get used to the morons after a bit. No time to hit the horn, was busy steering with one hand, left foot stomping brake, right foot raising rpms and right hand downshifting (clutches are for first, reverse, and stop signs).

When she stopped at the red light 1/2 mile up, she got a toot and a headshake, which she ignored. She also had a "no turn on red" sign there, she was turning right- my left turn light changed and I got to go upon my way before she did.

Waste of fuel, brakes, everything and easily could have killed herself or someone else.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What brand, model did you get? Where? Thank you.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rii2ywiYf0

Was this you? That would be so cool if it was.

Posts: 5464 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
So like many others here, I finally got a dash cam for my own protection. I did not get a very expensive one, mine was $12 and the memory card was $5.

I already think I'll invest in a better one when funds allow. Please forgive the video- I have not fogured out how to edit the clips down and the original is 3 minutes long, so I just shot a wuick video of it playing on my wife's computer.

Please drive safer than this person. I was running at around 65.5-67k pounds. Stood on brake pedal when I saw the front wheel move.

I would have been completely unable to stop if she had hit another car head-on in the other lane.

She did this solely to not be behind me (as she looked right at me and hit gas without looking right) and I was doing 38 in a 40 already.

Just happened to me not ten minutes ago. They quickly turned into another parking lot. So from one to another. I think some do it looking to get hit on purpose.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12931 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think some do it looking to get hit on purpose.

I think that happens around here.

I need to consider one of these cameras in my truck.

Last year I grabbed a screen shot from my camera mounted on my motorcycle to post in a community page after an idiot in a truck (F150) crossed halfway into my lane on a tight curve. Plate was unreadable in the poor quality video, so I never bothered with troopers. People in the community knew who it was though...

Yesterday coming back from Anchorage I came upon an SUV who was harassing the Cadillac behind him (not sure what transpired prior to my arrival, when I caught them the SUV was doing 35 in a 65 and kept crossing lanes and matching speeds to keep traffic behind him.) He abruptly pulled half way off the highway and slammed on his brakes. The cadillac swerved into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting the SUV, and a state trooper was coming from the other way. Popped the cadillac and the SUV sped off. A dash cam would have probably helped the trooper see things from a different point of view in that situation. I'm sure the cadillac got nailed for a ticket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13986 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:

It was an Aduro brand (cheap Chinese one) from a local store here. It's the same exact one as many available on Amazon:

My brother had an identical camera but another brand- it seems there are a ton of these just badged differently.

It's very basic, and very chintzy feeling.

I don't really trust it to last too long, but with any luck I'll be able to get a good one soon. The directions that come with it are basic, but if you mess around with it for a but, you'll easily figure it out. The hardest part to learn is that the button you hit to save the recording is the right button on the camera, not on the flip down screen, and that button doubles as the "enter/ select" button in the menus.

I really want one of the new Garmin or Magellan units that can link via wifi to a phone or computer so you don't have to mess with memory cards- just wifi on scene to phone and send as email or video text to the necessary people. Just waiting on a new contract and hopefully back-pay...not a strike.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have the Garmin and am very impressed with it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34393 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rii2ywiYf0

Was this you? That would be so cool if it was.

Nah. I'd try to stop somewhere a lot safer and certainly not interact with her that long with my window down. Dude did a good job keeping his cool, but the crazy was too strong with that one.

Marzy, is yours wifi capable? I was impressed with your video quality. I've lusting over the Garmin dashcam 45, is that the one you bought?

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It connects to my iPhone or you stick the chip into your computer.

I have the DriveAssist 51 LMT-S.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34393 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Awesome. I have an iPhone because I'm too dumb to run a Droid Wink

Wow- that drive assist is a heck of a unit! Does it help you cook dinner too? Nav, cam, finds and prices parking, bluetooth phone and text, pairs with Garmin warch...wow is tech moving along.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:

It was an Aduro brand (cheap Chinese one) from a local store here. It's the same exact one as many available on Amazon:

My brother had an identical camera but another brand- it seems there are a ton of these just badged differently.

It's very basic, and very chintzy feeling.

I don't really trust it to last too long, but with any luck I'll be able to get a good one soon. The directions that come with it are basic, but if you mess around with it for a but, you'll easily figure it out. The hardest part to learn is that the button you hit to save the recording is the right button on the camera, not on the flip down screen, and that button doubles as the "enter/ select" button in the menus.

On another forum I'm a member of, another member came across that same camera on Wal-Mart's website, but it links to a cheap Blaupunkt stereo. If you click through the images, only the first one or two is the radio.

Anyway, I ordered one yesterday and the price has now dropped to $10.79. LINK

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I could push the save button all day long.

I guess this guys subprime loan was not enough for a V8, or he brake checked me and told me I was number one because I did not push the cars beside me out of the way because he did not know how to merge.

Posts: 3776 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
I guess this guys subprime loan was not enough for a V8, or he brake checked me and told me I was number one because I did not push the cars beside me out of the way because he did not know how to merge. ]

Wait, you mean the bigass "YIELD" sign for the ramp traffic means it's optional? Last time I checked it means wait your damn turn even if you have to slow down or (gasp) stop to, you know, YIELD. Big Grin

People just don't respect inertia like they used to.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad