SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wait...What? A gubbermint SURPLUS?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Wait...What? A gubbermint SURPLUS? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
From the Bangor Daily News (aka the "Bangor Deadly") 2/27/2017:

"Maine has a record $1B in the bank"

Treasurer cites LePage thrift as primary factor

A Republican governor that shitcanned a number of Democrat-supported welfare programs and trimmed the bloated State employment rolls by a significant amount. Taxes are down, revenues are up, accounts are in the black every month for over a year.

Must be a coincidence...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
And the excess is being refunded to the taxpayers, right? Hahaha

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, sorta...income tax regs are being overhauled. Usetabe only part of my military retirement was tax exempt, this year ALL of it was.

Mostly, the cash reserve accounts are being funded for the first time in years.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Send the details to our governor Justice.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Very good news. More importantly, it shows what a disciplined and knowledgeable administration can do.

We need 49 more of them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Our formerNC governor did the same thing here, got us off a bunch of fed.gov programs and saved the taxpayers a bunch a money....

Then the gimme crowd came out and voted in a democrat governor, I'm just waiting to see how long it will take for the surplus to become a deficit again...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
We need 49 more of them.

Amen to that. But can you imagine ever hearing that about say, California?
I can still hope.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You mean this guy? The left is trying to paint him as a real nut job.
Note to President Trump; The established political class won't go easily.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.c0b7f20d48ca

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
From the Bangor Daily News (aka the "Bangor Deadly") 2/27/2017:

"Maine has a record $1B in the bank"

Treasurer cites LePage thrift as primary factor

A Republican governor that shitcanned a number of Democrat-supported welfare programs and trimmed the bloated State employment rolls by a significant amount. Taxes are down, revenues are up, accounts are in the black every month for over a year.

Must be a coincidence...

Maybe Maine can loan the $1B to California. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
You mean this guy? The left is trying to paint him as a real nut job.
Note to President Trump; The established political class won't go easily.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.c0b7f20d48ca

That'd be the fella. If the WaPo hates him, you KNOW he's doing something right.

I will say he's prone to the occasional unfortunate turn of phrase...

Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:

California can piss away that much before lunch.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
quote:

Shit, I could piss that away before lunch. I have faith that California can do it before breakfast!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
A surplus? If ME is anything like my state, queue the education lobby in 3,2,1...

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll see your Billion and raise you .65 billion. Supposedly MN's budget surplus has grown to $1.65 billion.

http://www.startribune.com/min...5-billion/414982274/

I haven't read the article yet but it seems like every year our governor wants to give this money to the poor.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
quote:

Shit, I could piss that away before lunch. I have faith that California can do it before breakfast!

Can, and has, probably more than once. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
And the excess is being refunded to the taxpayers, right? Hahaha

Yep, but in the form of Gubmint Cheese.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
quote:

Can, and has, probably more than once. Smile

Given that kalifornistan is about ONE TRILLION in debt, I would say they already did that. About 1000 times.

I guess it gets better with practice.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:.....Given that kalifornistan is about ONE TRILLION in debt, I would say they already did that. About 1000 times.

I guess it gets better with practice.

Gallows humor, I get to clean my monitor and kybd again (ie, CA is screwed, there is no viable strategy to avoid defacto bankruptcy)

It seems the CA public employee pension system is about $1T in the hole (unfunded liability), not counting the formal debt for gov't agencies in CA, ie money borrowed, is something like $400B. Add to this their spending commitments for "social justice". It is only a matter of time before the house of cards tumbles.

posted Hide Post
Ohio did that when our gubenator first got elected, and then he kinda started acting like he was from the other party now. Not sure where the budget is now, but I would suspect they owe.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Can they send a one page letter here to Gov Brown on how it's done.
Here in Wackyland were in the good old red...

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Report This Post