SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NASA Announcement 8-3-18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NASA Announcement 8-3-18 Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
Anyone else watch the live presentation this morning? The description of "flying an iphone" was interesting.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I couldn't listen to the whole 45 minutes. So we're back to using rockets now instead of using shuttles?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Great news but it’s a shame it’s taken this long to get back to flying on our own.

Thankfully they ditched the Shuttle model and went back to sending capsules - especially when the Commerical Crew program is about transporting people, not cargo.

The race is on to see who gets airborne first - looks like SpaceX is on tap to get the first crack at it, but so many things can go wrong / delay progress - I mean they were supposed to by flying several years ago.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I didn't watch more than a few minutes. Is it just me or did NASA just totally dis Blue Origin? All I saw was Boeing and SpaceX.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Can we just finally go back to science and shit? I miss the science

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I didn't watch more than a few minutes. Is it just me or did NASA just totally dis Blue Origin? All I saw was Boeing and SpaceX.

ETA, misread Blue O as Sierra Nevada.

Blue O wasn't even a player for Commerical Crew or Cargo.

They are just doing suborbital dummy flights right now.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I couldn't listen to the whole 45 minutes. So we're back to using rockets now instead of using shuttles?

The shuttle WAS a rocket Wink .

The shuttle also was a huge waste of money. It was too big, too expensive, and didn't deliver on what its advocates claimed (though, it's not really the vehicle's fault that they claimed it could do the impossible; 50 flights per year for the fleet, something like 1000 flights before a fatal malfunction). The shuttle forced everybody into using ONE vehicle for ALL space missions. After Challenger, we wised up and went back to expendable rockets for placing satellites into orbit. However, by that time, the damage to our long-term space program was already done.

Capsules aren't as 'sexy' as a winged vehicle, but they are a LOT more economical, a lot more practical, and not NEARLY as expensive. Until such time as we can fly a spacecraft from a runway right into orbit without dumping stages, capsules seem the best bet.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I thought NASA's mission was improving Muslim relations in the world?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem they could never really solve with the Shuttle was ice debris falling off the EFT and hitting the heat shield.

They got lucky for a lot of years until Columbia when the damage to the heat shield was catastrophic.

After that it was just a matter of finishing the ISS build missions before cancellation of the program.

Looking back, even Deke Slayton wasn't happy with the Space Shuttle design of launching people and cargo on the same platform, due to the differing requirements for each.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rey HRH:

Capsules aren't as 'sexy' as a winged vehicle, but they are a LOT more economical, a lot more practical, and not NEARLY as expensive. Until such time as we can fly a spacecraft from a runway right into orbit without dumping stages, capsules seem the best bet.

All currently correct. However you have neglected to consider that if you don't spend money developing a Winged Space Plane you won't EVER have a vehicle capable of going from runway to orbit.

While the Shuttle program had it's flaws it was a actually a good start on building up the learning curve to develop an efficient Runway to Orbit program. Unfortunately instead of building on what was learned with the Shuttle and it's faults NASA has chosen to "throw the baby out with the bath water" and go back to what they consider the "Safe" option.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Well, landing is the easy part. The shuttle was essentially a ginormous glider with a crappy glide ratio.

The shuttle could never have been developed for runway *takeoffs*. That would have been the X-43 or NASA 'Orient Express' scramjets (both of which were cancelled). I may be mistaken, but as far as I know, the shuttle was never intended for anything past its intended use as a space truck. It was an evolutionary dead end.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
So we're finally commercializing spaceflight?
Would have never happened under Oblammo.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Well, landing is the easy part. The shuttle was essentially a ginormous glider with a crappy glide ratio.

Ah I see you've flown my Beech. Big Grin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Blue O wasn't even a player for Commerical Crew or Cargo.

They are just doing suborbital dummy flights right now.

Which is more than SpaceX is doing. I haven't seen anything on the Dragon 2 crew capsule since the test of the propulsive hover nearly two years ago.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post