SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do chemical drain openers really work on slow running drains?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do chemical drain openers really work on slow running drains? Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

Since it is not a clog just a slow running drain I am going to try a foaming cleaner first.
I am thinking the bottom part of the disposal just may need to be cleaned.

At least since it is not stopped up. I can flush it out with fresh water then teach my wife how to take the trap off the disposal and look to see if that is what is making it run slow Wink .
Thankful it is only less than a foot from the 4" main stub up drain right under the sink.

Once again thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2576 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Some of them work very well. But it depends on what you're dealing with, and you have no good way of knowing. Could be an object, hair, grease build up, soap build up, old galvanized pipe closing up. They'll work on some things and not others. If you pour lots of cooking residue down the drain, which probably has a lot more oil/grease than you realize, or if you just straight up our grease and oil down the drain... no doubt that's what it is.

Last year my kitchen drain kept draining real slow. Having been in the drain cleaning business, I have all the machines at my disposal, but still kept using liquid stuff on it because it was easier. It helped for a while, but didn't solve it and didn't last. I finally got tired of it and took the pipe down one night to find it 90% blocked with grease, for about a 12 foot run. That was my kitchen, someone who spent his whole life dealing with that stuff, that knows better, so I'm really careful not to pour grease/oil down the drain. But not as careful as I thought I was I guess and like I said, things I did put down the drain obviously had a lot more fat/oil than I realized.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
On their own they can clean but together they can only power a bathtub submarine.
You're showing your age. Big Grin

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
On their own they can clean but together they can only power a bathtub submarine.

Least he didn’t say “deploy the swimmer”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Okay, I tried the vinegar and baking soda first for shits an giggles. So far the drain seams to be running a little better, we will see how it does over the weekend.
If it continues to run slow then we go to the foaming drain cleaner.
As a last resort my wife learn plumbing Wink

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2576 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
A cheap method is to use some baking soda with vinegar.

This won’t do anything other than create bubbles. I’ve just never understood all the claims that mixing these cleans things or clears drains or any other myriad of cures. Vinegar and baking soda neutralize each other. On their own they can clean but together they can only power a bathtub submarine.

I'm not much into cleaning but when we were selling the last house, I used it to clean the bathroom and the showers. The chemical reaction between the two is what makes it effective. I can vouch for this because I used UV light before and after to confirm. Soap scum cleaned up nicely.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19717 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
quote:

This won’t do anything other than create bubbles. I’ve just never understood all the claims that mixing these cleans things or clears drains or any other myriad of cures. Vinegar and baking soda neutralize each other. On their own they can clean but together they can only power a bathtub submarine.

I'm not much into cleaning but when we were selling the last house, I used it to clean the bathroom and the showers. The chemical reaction between the two is what makes it effective. I can vouch for this because I used UV light before and after to confirm. Soap scum cleaned up nicely.

Cleaning soap scum needs acid. The reaction between the 2 probably did little, but vinegar alone will do wonders. I will put a bit of Dawn in it so it sticks to the shower doors or whatever for a while. That seems to work very good.

Anyhow, the initial reaction does release some create some carbonic acid, which quickly off-gases and leaves you with basically salty water. I guess it could do something in the way of cleaning, but you would get better results with vinegar alone.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I wonder if salt can break down the biofilm on the pipes?

Salt water breaks down a lot of natural barriers and I suspect the “grease buildup” on a pipe is more of a biofilm

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I wonder if salt can break down the biofilm on the pipes?

Salt water breaks down a lot of natural barriers and I suspect the “grease buildup” on a pipe is more of a biofilm

I think usually clogs are a combo of soap scum and grease. I'm sure there's plenty of bacteria/biofilm too. But the restriction is more likely the thick sludge of soap and grease.

In any case, you'd need a high concentration of salt and biofilm is incredibly resilient. Even super high caustic washes can sometimes be ineffective on biofilm. It's a big issue in my industry (biotech).

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I am not big on drain cleaner chemicals. In my experience, not only do they not work very well, if at all, they often make the clog worse by loosening things up enough so that they can compact into an even tighter mass. If the clog is in the trap, I have found nothing better than those plastic strips with little teeth on them, like these, much less hassle than a traditional snake.

At least once a year I pull out a hamster sized hairball with one of those.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Br...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24178 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yep, baking soda is a base (alkaline) and vinegar is an acid. Mixed together in the proper proportions they create H2O. If the mixture of one of the two is heavily biased in the mixture. least case it will be a very weak acid or base, neither of which is a good cleaner. Now it does bubble for 30 seconds or so when mixed, so I guess there is a bit of cleaning potential there or it might just make people think it's working. Better off just using one or the other, and never mix with vinegar with hydrogen peroxide. This produces a very toxic gas, a peracetic acid, which the fumes can cause all sorts of medical issues.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I just recently used vinegar and baking soda on a sink in my bathroom that was draining very slowly and after a couple of applications my drain is draining a lot faster so for me the baking soda/vinegar trick worked.

Posts: 1631 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to wear eye protection.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

I have about three of those. How do you use it? Do you just leave it in the drain and pull it out once a year or do you use it to fish out stuff? I have yet to use mine.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19717 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Best stuff I've found is Drain Punch. Odorless and works great on slow drains. My plumber is the one who recommended it for me.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:

Good memories from the 60s. Bathtub submarines and wind-up PT-109 boats.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say they only work about 25% of the time. A zip it, looks like a long tie wrap, works really well a lot of the times and is less than $5 at home depot and you just stick it down the drain and work it back and forth, super easy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

I have about three of those. How do you use it? Do you just leave it in the drain and pull it out once a year or do you use it to fish out stuff? I have yet to use mine.

When the drain starts getting slow, run that down the drain and pull it back up. The little spikes on the edges grabs the hair and other nasty gunk. I usually push/pull a few times before I pull it completely out.

I've found these work much better then chemicals.

Posts: 1807 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
When the drain starts getting slow, run that down the drain and pull it back up. The little spikes on the edges grabs the hair and other nasty gunk. I usually push/pull a few times before I pull it completely out.

Yep.

If the stopper is in a sink drain you will probably have to remove that. They work great in my shower drain where I just remove the cover and put that thing down until it grabs the hair.
Just keep working it up and down until you come up empty. If you pull the hair out and throw it in your trash can you don't have to worry about it being pushed farther down the pipe and causing clogs farther away where you can't reach them.

After removing the hair, and while the cover is still off the drain I usually put some baking soda down and about an hour later after it has done its thing alone I throw down a half cup of vinegar which makes the fizz. I'm not sure if it does much more than just the zip-it but the pipe does LOOK cleaner.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24178 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post