SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, 81, is rushed to hospital after tripping and falling at DC hotel dinner
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, 81, is rushed to hospital after tripping and falling at DC hotel dinner Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Imo, the single biggest failing of the founding fathers was not having term limits for Congress rats written in the Constitution. They had it for President.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I thought he 81 10 years ago. Just go away. Many of our countries problems today can be laid right at his feet.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Imo, the single biggest failing of the founding fathers was not having term limits for Congress rats written in the Constitution. They had it for President.

Actually, the US Constitution did not enumerate term limits for the President, only that the term of office was four years. The 22nd Amendment, ratified in 1951 established that a President could only be elected twice to that office. The two-term tradition established by Washington & Jefferson stood until FDR was elected to a third & fourth term as President in 1940 and 1944. Congress subsequently passed the 22nd Amendment in 1947.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8890 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I think he tripped over the truth. He didn't recognize it. Wink

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

Actually, the US Constitution did not enumerate term limits for the President, only that the term of office was four years. The 22nd Amendment, ratified in 1951 established that a President could only be elected twice to that office. The two-term tradition established by Washington & Jefferson stood until FDR was elected to a third & fourth term as President in 1940 and 1944. Congress subsequently passed the 22nd Amendment in 1947.

Thanks. I need to study my history again. Fell asleep in class that day. Sad that it will be a cold day in hell before the rats will propose legislation that will kick themselves off the gravy train.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The Life Extension Foundation article discusses muscle wasting as you age and now has a product to turn things around:

https://www.lifeextension.com/...s-preventing-frailty

https://www.lifeextension.com/...-and-restore-formula

Get well soon Mitch. Roll Eyes

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But Mitch can't keep his seat if they don't keep electing him.

You're correct, of course, but we all know and understand that a good majority of voters are uneducated on nearly every issue. They just see "Incumbent" next to his name on the ballot, figure he must be good, and check the box. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 97% of incumbents are re-elected (due in no small part to lobbyist money flowing into their campaigns).

I wish we could vote our way out of this mess, but recent history has proven that it ain't possible. Our system is broken and needs fixing.

quote:
Sad that it will be a cold day in hell before the rats will propose legislation that will kick themselves off the gravy train.

I believe someone (Gaetz perhaps?) did introduce it this session. It'll go nowhere for now but hey, it's a start.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until I was mid-20's to early 30's, a absolutely opposed term limits. Now I have seen more doddering fools and outright crooks, I absolutely support term limits.

The few good people you lost to term limits would be grossly offset by the bad apples tossed out of the barrel.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

It's the only way people like him will relinquish their power and rule over regular people.

At 81 years old and having "served" for so long, I have the belief he lost effectiveness long ago. Yet they keep holding on.

The voters in Kentucky keep electing him. It isn't as if Mitch is barricaded in his office refusing to vacate, having lost an election.

Maybe there should be term limits, a view which I am coming more and more to as time goes on. But Mitch can't keep his seat if they don't keep electing him.

I'll be happy that McConnell kept another Obama justice off the Supreme Court. I don't agree with all of anything any politician does, but that is not nothing.

It probably is time for McConnell to retire, but I hope he recovers.

Something to consider is that incumbent politicians have or create for themselves advantages over challengers. Here in Utah the advantage is one Hatch discovered and it guaranteed his re-election. He taught it to Romney and the RINO establishment cleared the way for the carpet bagger to run even though there was legislation barring that. Other States likely have similar exploitable vulnerabilities. As a purist, I reflexively reject term limits. But, the job of politician has become more rewarding and coveted unlike at the founding, election system flaws are being exploited and the public is no longer being served. I don;t think the founders could have anticipated these circumstances as they also didn't expect unelected eternal omnipotent bureaucracies to oppress the people by proxy.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
In thinking about term limits, one must apply the Dilbert principle, which is more likely? Will a politician react to them by striving to do as much good as possible in the limited time available, or will they desperately go after whatever personal wealth and power they can grab?

Another way of looking at this is to extend the idea that a politician's first objective after winning an election is to get re-elected. With term limits, the objective becomes to get elected to another political office. Probably not why they were elected.

In other words, I suspect that term limits wouldn't change the game all that much, but at least it might give us a whole bunch of new faces to mock.

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I don;t think the founders could have anticipated these circumstances as they also didn't expect unelected eternal omnipotent bureaucracies to oppress the people by proxy.

I believe they did anticipate scoundrels and megalomaniacs to gain public office. They did not expect the new republic to survive peacefully for more than a few decades. They expected repeated uprisings to oust tyrants and criminals, and perhaps even re-formulate the nation if necessary.

That whole "refresh the tree of liberty" thing.

The truth is that human civilization has never been static anywhere, and the Founders knew it. We can expect major changes to our nation, and it won't be a pleasant process when it happens. It happened in the 1770's and the 1860's. It will happen again.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm generally opposed to term limits but Pushing Turtle McConnell is just the man to change my mind.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well best of luck, falling at that age isn't good, maybe it will send him a message to go back to his Old Kentucky Home and retire.

If he does become incapacitated, KY's governor is a big left wing D, "Little Andy" Beshear, does he get to appoint a replacement, if so wonder if he'll put in Allison Grimes D, a hard core left winger of AOC likeness...

Nope, her political days are done.
He’d pick the far worse Charles Booker.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Politicians hang on to their jobs like grim death. Well into their eighties and beyond. When the rest of the working class starts preparing for retirement at a early age and strives to reach it at the earliest age possible.

I can't understand why. Roll Eyes I have no sympathy for old Mitch. Should have been safely enjoying his retirement instead of at some private cocktail dinner party cutting deals.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It’s called “drunk with power”. The endorphin rush and high, achieved by lording over us minions and subjects, must be irresistable.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Term limits may or may not help for all the reasons discussed above. Equally bad, if not worse, is the army of regulation writing little bureaucrats.

Maybe term limits should apply to them as well

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe term limits should apply to them as well

The theory in political science was always that it takes knowledgeable an powerful elected officials to counterbalance the long-term bureaucrats, long-term appointees in the Congressional Research Service and other legislative support groups, and experienced and connected lobbyists.

The idea is that bureaucrats, researchers and lobbyists wind up having far more in-depth knowledge of facts, law and procedures, and that less-experienced or knowledgeable legislators would necessarily be dependent on their expertise in order to be able to work efficiently or at all. The end result, of course, is inevitably a technocracy like we saw running California up to and after the days of Schwarzenegger's tenure as Governor.

OTOH, Robert Byrd and Pushing Turtle McConnell are supposed to be the paragons of experienced and knowledgeable legislators, so maybe that particular cure is at least as bad as the disease.

I don't know exactly what the alternative solution is, but I certainly believe that we need one. Private citizens that develop the necessary skills and knowledge have a nasty tendency to run for office or become lobbyists and get absorbed by the Swamp.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
IF the government were small and limited in power, there would be no worry of powerful elected officials or of powerful unelected bureaucrats.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

It's the only way people like him will relinquish their power and rule over regular people.

At 81 years old and having "served" for so long, I have the belief he lost effectiveness long ago. Yet they keep holding on.

The voters in Kentucky keep electing him. It isn't as if Mitch is barricaded in his office refusing to vacate, having lost an election.

Maybe there should be term limits, a view which I am coming more and more to as time goes on. But Mitch can't keep his seat if they don't keep electing him.

I'll be happy that McConnell kept another Obama justice off the Supreme Court. I don't agree with all of anything any politician does, but that is not nothing.

It probably is time for McConnell to retire, but I hope he recovers.

Something to consider is that incumbent politicians have or create for themselves advantages over challengers. Here in Utah the advantage is one Hatch discovered and it guaranteed his re-election. He taught it to Romney and the RINO establishment cleared the way for the carpet bagger to run even though there was legislation barring that. Other States likely have similar exploitable vulnerabilities. As a purist, I reflexively reject term limits. But, the job of politician has become more rewarding and coveted unlike at the founding, election system flaws are being exploited and the public is no longer being served. I don;t think the founders could have anticipated these circumstances as they also didn't expect unelected eternal omnipotent bureaucracies to oppress the people by proxy.

Another problem is that voters tend to like "their" guy and keep re-electing them over and over, while excoriating the reps from other places. This phenomenon happens repeatedly.

That is why term limits look more and more like the answer. I didn't favor them for years, but am changing my mind.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
IF the government were small and limited in power, there would be no worry of powerful elected officials or of powerful unelected bureaucrats.

If pigs had wings . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post