SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any audio speakers builders in the house? Crossover question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any audio speakers builders in the house? Crossover question Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I own a pair of ESS AMT 1A speakers that i would very much like to rebuild. Been trying for the past 40 years.

It’s very complicated for me to get the parts from the US but they are available online. I can eventually just get the ribbons and have them refoamed locally (Argentina) but the crossovers are the real issue.

Unfortunately, the local audio boards have become virtual ghost towns. No one posts anymore since 2020. Imports pretty much ceased late 2019 so there was little or nothing to talk about.

My question is: is it very difficult to have alternate crossovers for these particular speakers? Is there an easy fix?

One of my original crossovers i believe is still in working conditions but the other literally fell apart (dried glue and heavy coil) and am not sure i still have what went missing.

With the lockdown i’m getting bored and antsy.

Thanks

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
There is nothing magic about speaker crossovers. They are very simple circuits and it is very easy to make them from parts.

If you just want to copy the one you have, most of the parts should be labeled and and easy to get replacements for if you can access any kind of electronic component store at all (not sure how available components are in Argentina or how hard they would be to import). Inductors (the coil) are easy to get replacements for, too, but sometimes aren’t labeled.

Alternatively, if you know what the crossover frequency is supposed to be and the power rating of the speakers, there are calculators on the internet that will spit out a crossover circuit with component values.

I’m not a real expert but I’m a fairly knowledgeable hobbyist. I’m happy to help you out with it if you want.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I have rebuilt several speakers from the 50s, 60s and 70s. I would be happy to answer any questions via email. Send me an email and we can talk.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they ship to Argentina. But https://www.parts-express.com/ Has been my go to resource for parts.

Their forum is basically the Sig Forum of the Audio world. Guys design and share crossover designs there.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post