SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hydrothermal explosion occurred in the Biscuit Basin area of Yellowstone National Park
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hydrothermal explosion occurred in the Biscuit Basin area of Yellowstone National Park Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well isn't Yellowstone a super volcano that's supposedly a bit overdue for its next 'big bang'? Mother Nature is not a nice one to fool around with when she's having her period...

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, I might have needed a change of shorts if I was there. Eek

Posts: 764 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
According to my son who is studying to be a volcanologist, there’s a fairly good record of the Yellowstone Caldera erupting every 675,000 years and the last one was about 675,000 years ago.

Posts: 11594 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get that shit on your vehicle and it's hell to clean.
Some of the biggest geysers will pop-off a larger than normal column and the liquid coming back down lands all over the cars in the parking lot coating them in mud and silica. The silica mixed mud is hard to get off once it dries and ends up eroding the paint.
Park service has to stay on top of the maintenance as any nearby buildings, require regular cleanings, windows get clouded-over from the airborne spray and the silica just makes things difficult.

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Tourons should run faster.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12663 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
A pretty mild reminder of what is under peoples feet in Yellowstone considering the caldera covers about 30X35 miles in size.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15788 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
When Yellowstone blows, it will basically be the end of the United States as we know it. The death toll will be enormous. I wonder if all the nations we’ve helped over the years will help out the miserable survivors in what’s left of CONUS.

On the upside, the survivors won’t have to hear about global warming anymore.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
When Yellowstone blows, it will basically be the end of the United States as we know it. The death toll will be enormous. I wonder if all the nations we’ve helped over the years will help out the miserable survivors in what’s left of CONUS.

On the upside, the survivors won’t have to hear about global warming anymore.

Well, the good news is that it will be all memorialized forever on tic-tock / youtube / social media!
Sooo important to video an event, more concerned about capturing the best angle, lighting instead of saving one's own life.

I swear that social media just shows how truly stupid people are.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8519 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The really good news is that volcanoes give lots of warning something is changing for the worse. If it goes up in our lifetimes, there will undoubtedly be weeks of warning signs to prepare as best as can be expected. It would suck living in the death zone and having to pull up stakes and flee with all your property.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15788 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Well, the good news is that it will be all memorialized forever on tic-tock / youtube / social media!
Sooo important to video an event, more concerned about capturing the best angle, lighting instead of saving one's own life.

I swear that social media just shows how truly stupid people are.

You would find the archaeological discoveries of Pompeii and Herculaneum fascinating if you spent some real time looking into it. We haven't changed much, if any, in the ensuing two millennia. All this time later, what is interesting to us now isn't the people who survived, because we don't know anything about any of them except Pliny the Elder.

Posts: 17614 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Living 52 miles from the East Gate, if there isn't any warning when the big one goes I am guessing I will have about 2 nanoseconds.

PC

Posts: 1369 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Diamond Pool last erupted in 2016. similar event. prior was 2006 after an earthquake which changed its frequency, its one of the lowest activity pools in the basin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6293 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
If it does blow, does anyone know the approximate circumference of the danger zone?

Would it truly impact the entire U.S.?

Posts: 3813 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"hydrothermal explosion"? They could have been more dramatic by writing "dihydrogen oxide thermal" explosion.

Q

Posts: 27495 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

CDC CBC map of the 6 zones affected by a Yellowstone Event.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
https://www.usgs.gov/media/ima...wstone-supereruption

I might survive, but I'd need to be digging deep into my food stores for awhile. It won't be pretty.

Funny thing about that video, though, is that probably most of those people still believe that man has any effect whatsoever on Mother Nature.

Posts: 20553 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well that map is quite disturbing... and hard to believe that that much ash would be expelled.

Ever worry about the snow load on your roof? Some rough numbers. Ash weighs almost 10 times what snow does. So as much as 50,000 pounds of ash could land on the roof of a 2000 sq ft home... in zone 6! Few if any buildings would withstand that. But over how many days will it take to accumulate. One would surly have time to evacuate... but to Where?

I always have said... In case of nuclear war I want to be at Ground Zero!
I'm beginning to think in this case... the same!

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
…and I’m taking my family there in 2 weeks.
Pray for us!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6462 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Link

CDC map of the 6 zones affected by a Yellowstone Event.

You’ll forgive me if I take what the CDC says with a grain of salt.

I do think the threat is overplayed.

Posts: 3005 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post