SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wide toe box shoe discussion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Wide toe box shoe discussion Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
I have a couple of cheap pairs that I have been wearing to work for about a year, they are very comfortable but have a stupid name. I will buy some more soon. The ones I have a are holding up very well and I even have received a couple of compliments on them

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CG...title_0_0&th=1&psc=1


I'm looking to buy a tennis shoe, walking, working out at the gym but no running, my old beat up knees aren't having it.

Who can recommend a good brand of wide toe box shoes?


I started seeing ads for Bearefoot shoes and I like the looks of a couple of them but there are zero ratings. Probably ship direct from CHINA

https://bearefoot.com/collections/everyday-wear


 
Posts: 7023 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:


Who can recommend a good brand of wide toe box shoes?




Keen, their hiking shoes have a wide toe box. A lot of their other shoes are the same way.
 
Posts: 787 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
New Balance (also their Dunham line). Not sure how wide you're seeking but Merrell have been good for me.

I'm trying Xero and they seem to have an ample toe box (actually, perhaps too much for me). I'm also trying Oofos as recommended by podiatrist. Seems good but made in chicom (at least the pair I have).

Keen are well reviewed and seem like good quality but for my foot specifically they seem to have an odd pain point. Also Croc boat shoes. Two good brands that for some reason cause bunion like pain for my feet. Of course, YMMV.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15145 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Brooks and Saucony for my casual/walking/workout/running shoes.

I have very wide (4E) and flat feet, and those two brands both offer shoes that are extremely comfortable and wide.

I used to buy a lot of Merrells, who also offer comfortable and wide shoes, but their quality and durability has declined so much over the years that I gave up on them several years back.
 
Posts: 35522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm a big fan of Brooks and Saucony for my casual/walking/workout/running shoes.

I have very wide (4E) and flat feet, and those two brands both offer shoes that are extremely comfortable and wide.

I used to buy a lot of Merrells, who also offer comfortable and wide shoes, but their quality and durability has declined so much over the years that I gave up on them several years back.


Agree with Brooks for me too. Never tried Saucony. Merrell still GTG for me but they are a little more inconsistent now (for the same 'size', model A fits but model B doesn't; I think it varies by chicom vs vietnam).




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15145 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have several Brooks, I don't wear anything else when going to the gym or yard work. They do ok but they are not as comfortable as my wide toe box shoes in the first link. They fit kinda like a glove


I don't know if my foot widened some with age but my right pinky toe started hurting a few years ago. I went up a size and that seemed to help, wide shoes don't fit well for some reason


This is a pic of one, these are very ugly but some look pretty good




 
Posts: 7023 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Perhaps try Xero (try before buy). They have a wider toe box for me; again, perhaps even too wide. Wider and more space than the Merrells I have.

BUT, you may want to try them with your preferred insole (ie - superfeet) before you buy. Unless you like the stock insole.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15145 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have bought some wide Skechers and been pretty pleased with the comfort. Durability has be slightly better than decent. I am hard on shoes too.



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21947 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Whatever you buy, be sure the insole comes out so you can buy something better that fits your particular foot.
I use the Powerstep Pinnacle Max in Keen Flint II.
I've used the low and medium height versions, depending on the season. I'm a 10 1/2 but buy 11's for the same need you have.
Be sure to shop around for the best price.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p...ade-brown-golden-rod

https://powerstep.com/collecti...maxx-support-insoles


___________________________
Avoid buying ChiCom/CCP products whenever possible.
 
Posts: 10849 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Altra's work well for me. There are a couple of styles that come in wide widths, and I prefer the zero drop soles.


Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.
 
Posts: 208 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm a big fan of Brooks and Saucony for my casual/walking/workout/running shoes.

I have very wide (4E) and flat feet, and those two brands both offer shoes that are extremely comfortable and wide.

I used to buy a lot of Merrells, who also offer comfortable and wide shoes, but their quality and durability has declined so much over the years that I gave up on them several years back.


Wide toe box and wide shoes are not the same thing.

Getting a wide shoe does not equate to a wide toe box.

Altra are my go to shoes for wide toe boxes

https://www.altrarunning.com/en-us

Hoka has some that are close but not true wide toe boxes.
I have the Khana 3 GTX that I wear as my duty boot. They are ugly as sin but comfortable and the toe box is quite wide but not a true wide toe box

https://www.hoka.com/en/us/men...r_1162530_color=BBLC

I have a pair of Altra Timp 6 GTX on the way to try as a duty boot.

I tried a pair of Topos swell and the toe box was really nice but I did not like how they felt when I walked.
https://www.topoathletic.com

I have had a couple pairs of Onclouds that had a wider toe box and worked well but again were not actual wide toe box shoes.

I had a pair of Viktos Overreach and they were very comfortable but complete crap quality had 2 pair replaced for the sole separating from the boot in just a few months

https://viktos.com/overbeach-atv-shoe/

None of them are very ,much of a good looking shoe but at this point I could not care less and comfort is my main concern as much time as I spend on my feet.

When it's not hot out and I am not working my feet pretty much live in Birkenstock clog knock offs. They are WAY cheaper I got 5 pairs for the price of 1 Birkenstock pair and worlds more comfortable.
https://qomfortco.com/products...ede-clogs-by-qomfort


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26955 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
New Balance. Check out Joe's New Balance Outlet. It is actually NB Outlet. They have some tremendous deal sometimes.
 
Posts: 1456 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I’ve never tried them but Altra specifies in many of their adds that they specifically have a wide toe box.

https://www.altrarunning.com/e...GsSsyuUaArAMEALw_wcB
 
Posts: 4419 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I am wesring a pair of Altra running shoes now. Normally I don’t prefer a wide toe box, these are wide but very comfortable.
 
Posts: 503 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I had a pair of Viktos Overreach and they were very comfortable but complete crap quality had 2 pair replaced for the sole separating from the boot in just a few months

https://viktos.com/overbeach-atv-shoe/


Like you said crap quality I would stay far away from this brand especially in regards to footwear. I had a sole separation in a different pair of their shoes and they send me a replacement pair like that was going to change anything. Luckily I got them on clearance so I wasn’t out a whole lot of money. Ended up throwing the second pair away after a few times wearing them and the same thing happening. Quit following them and unsubscribed from their emails so I wouldn’t see anymore of their junk.
 
Posts: 5184 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
The best casual multi-role shoe I have ever found is the Brooks Beast in 2E. I wear a size 13, weighed up to 285 lbs, and always loved my Beasts.

I ran, walked, worked in them.

If I’m not wearing those, I wear Merrel Moab wides.


_________________________
You do NOT have the right to never be offended.
 
Posts: 3094 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have struggled since I was young trying to find a shoe with the right width and toe box.

I have a wide front but a very narrow heel box. It is more like an 11 EE and an 1/8th.

It has made life miserable trying to find running shoes, military and police boots.

I tried Brooks but they are not for me.

I was an Asics and Saucony person, but they keep changing the styles.

I have some good luck with Skechers, but I have not tried Altra.

I used to wear Wellco boots for both military and LE but they were forced out because of screwing the government.

I also wore Bates, but they got rid of the styles I like.

It seems every boot company only wants to make tactical or boots like tennis shoes.

Thanks to weak ankles and 48 years of wear, tear and injuries, I need what I would call an old school boot.

I would love to find a nice pair of hiking boots or trail shoes to just walk around in.

I have worn Redwings since 1992, but the last couple of pairs were way over priced and fell apart quickly.
 
Posts: 1996 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Sketchers wide fit slip ons for me.


-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat
 
Posts: 4043 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
This had been my life - wide feet and a high big toe knuckle that means most shoes pinch my toes and are very uncomfortable.

In the military I wore the widest shoes I could get and could usually get by with a 10 XW or 4E. My military flight boots were usually 8.5 XXW or 9 XXW.

In civilian life I wore Rockport Northfield waterproof for work (airline pilot) and Rockport Margin for "dress", both in size 9 XW. They are kind of clunky and not really dressy, but they were comfortable enough for me to tolerate.

Outside of work I wore Nike running or walking shoes, whichever they made in a 10 4E. That was until the NFL kneeling BS and now I no longer wear any Nike stuff. I have switched to Brooks Ghost or Ghost Max in 10 4E and they are pretty comfortable.

I just recently bought a pair of Florsheim Midtown Plain Toe Oxford in brown, size 10 5E and although they feel a little bit longer than a size 10, they are wide enough and are slightly more stylish than the Rockports. I just ordered another pair in black.

I've been ordering shoes for months for baseball or golf, and bought a pair of Sketchers 10 4E golf shoes with a goodyear sole that looks like a turf shoe and am wearing them to play baseball in. Only played 2 games thus far and they are tolerable. Pretty cushy but the toe isn't as wide as I'd like.

Bought a pair of New Balance golf shoes in 10 4E that are tolerable but not great. Same issue with the toe box, it's ok but not perfect. I'm hoping both of these will stretch a bit with more use.

Last year I bought a pair of Carolina Boots in 10 4E that fit ok, not great. I also bought a pair of Merrill hiking shoes in 10 W that are ok but again not as comfortable as a nice pair of Brooks running shoes in 10 4E, which is what I wear almost exclusively unless one of these other shoes are indicated.

I totally feel your pain, I order about 5 or 6 pairs a shoes a month to try on in order to keep up with the ones I wear out. I normally have to go through 10 or more pair just to find something I can live with. It sucks having wide feet because very few stores carry any wide sizes so I am forced to order, try and mostly return shoes all the time.

Good luck.


----------------------------------------------------------------------Roy is not my real name.
 
Posts: 1279 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have worn Brooks Beast 4E width for years. I now have a partially torn tendon and need to wear an ankle brace. The Brooks are a bit tight. I was looking at OrthoFeet online. Some models supposed to be wide toe box. Anybody use them?
 
Posts: 710 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wide toe box shoe discussion

© SIGforum 2026