SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Himalyan Salt Block for cooking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Himalyan Salt Block for cooking Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Fathers day gift from daughter, a nice salt block, haven't cooked with one before so I'm looking forward to giving it a go, if anyone has/used one of these I'd be interested in how it went, what ou learned to do/not do.

Guess I'll spend a little utoob time for learning how to use it as well

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have heard it needs to be heated up slooooooowly. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can break/shatter if heated too quickly, particularly if you are in or have recently experienced high humidity. I suspect most of Florida qualifies.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Sweet salt lick Big Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
I've had whole Dungeness crab cooked on top of one and it was stellar.

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I have a lamp.

Never cooked with it, though.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking scallops, asparagus and some baby yellow potatoes tonight

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
How do you clean a salt block? Seems like a challenge since salt is soluble in water.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8965 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are on our third salt block. They all crack eventually, but this is the only way to cook pecan smoked bacon wrapped scallops on a BGE.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
How do you clean a salt block? Seems like a challenge since salt is soluble in water.

from what I've read you must allow it to fully cool down, then wipe down with damp cloth or sponge or a brush, no soap...

Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Use pink Himalayan salt crystals in the salt mill.
Unique flavor.
Enjoy.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
i get my minerals from my pink salt. non of that bleached toxic stuff for me.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Picked up some sea scallops and fresh shrimp at Fresh Market along with a couple of white potatoes and some asparagus to give it a go.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Picked up some sea scallops and fresh shrimp at Fresh Market along with a couple of white potatoes and some asparagus to give it a go.

If you really want to do something cool. You can use it to cook at the table while you eat your salad/appetizers. Went to a restaurant once that did this. Brought out petite filet Mignon and shrimp and scallops on a hot hunk of salt. You cook it yourself at the table while you ate apps. Once it was near done they gave you a soy sauce based liquid to drizzle over it a ND a hunk of butter. Forgot what they used as an insulator and I think the table was slate too. Very cool idea. Plus you can't send back to the chef if its overcooked.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

You don't need to. Salt is an anti septic and doesn't need to be cleaned. Bacteria can't grow on salt.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Cooked sea scallops and fresh shrimp followed by a nice Cohiba for dessert

posted Hide Post
Following

I was just gifted one as well. That seafood looks amazing

Mine came with a metal carrier. Do I put entire kit on the grill or is a stovetop deal ? I have t researched much yet, just got it.

Posts: 4773 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I put it on the carrier then heat