SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My HP laptop battery died, a good source for replacing it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My HP laptop battery died, a good source for replacing it? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Uncertain if W10 is to blame but i read about the updates/upgrade issues and followed all the steps to address them with no joy.

The battery was fine a month ago with all but one diagnostic light turning on. Now it's none of them.

I've got a refurbed HP Pavilion DV7 I got from a leaving expat some 6 years ago. Never saw the model locally.

Prices of laptops down here are cost prohibitive and the machine is otherwise in excellent shape. Would like to keep it in full working condition if it makes sense.

Thanks for your input.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12145 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How are your soldering skills?

Unfortunately, once the manufacturer no longer sells batteries for you model, I don't believe there is a source for good replacements. I looked for a week for a replacement for my 5 year old Alienware 18, finally bit the bullet and ordered a generic one from Amazon.

If it doesn't work out, I'm going to disassemble the battery pack, order individual quality cells, and solder them in myself.

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I likely can get some shop to do that locally but I know their starting prices to be $100 and upwards. Really doubt their replacement cell are of any quality simply because quality is not what we import, we import cheap and affordable.

I've found online a year or so ago original batteries for my Vista class Toshiba for under $20 but decided against importing them. The machine is really too old to bother and eventually lost track of the seller or how I found it.

0-0

Posts: 12145 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uncertain if W10 is to blame

Seriously? Big Grin

FWIW. HP laptop batteries are plentiful but not sure about down in your area.

Can you get online and have shipped to you?

Cross ref the model, even third party batteries will work fine.

Good Luck

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Indeed, plenty of articles about last update and batteries no longer charging. Look it up.

0-0

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Please email me or post the model and serial number from the label on the underside.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Indeed, plenty of articles about last update and batteries no longer charging. Look it up.

0-0

Then it should charge when not turned on (connected or not booted), right? Confused

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Batteries Plus?

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

0-0

Then it should charge when not turned on (connected or not booted), right? Confused

Last time I used it, plugged, I shut it down, unplugged and put it away while it was updating. Then it wouldn't turn on. Battery was blinking when I used the charge button.
Used to be all LEDs but one, not it was a single one blinking 8 times.
Managed to restart the machine but it does not charge or hold charge anymore. W10 battery status says 25%and charging but it will crash if power is removed. Did the device removal and update dance, no joy

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Take a look at > THIS to see if it helps.

Also see of you can fully charge it without it turned on.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You can buy Panasonic bare cells and just solder them into the battery casing. Just take apart the old one to see the size and quantity of cells needed. Chances are, it'll be 18650's.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Take a look at > THIS to see if it helps.

Also see of you can fully charge it without it turned on.

Well, that's one of the articles pointing in W10 way I mentioned earlier.

You are right in assuming that the machine, turned off should charge normally, is the OS is not part of the equation. So did I.

Originally, the machine wouldn't turn on. Assumed the battery had exhausted itself updating the OS instead of properly finishing the update and shutdown.
The battery still had signs of life, it would blink 8 times, plugged in but not charging.
After the reading the articles and uninsralling the drivers, W10 started showing it charging briefly up to 25% and stopped. But if I remove the charger the machine has no juice at all. It crashes.
The battery led is completely dead.

Went from good health to "it's dead, Jim".

Frown

0-0

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
You can buy Panasonic bare cells and just solder them into the battery casing. Just take apart the old one to see the size and quantity of cells needed. Chances are, it'll be 18650's.

Yep, I harvest a lot of 18650's from "dead" laptop batteries. As I'm sure you know, usually it is only 1 cell that has failed. Easy enough to reset the rest, add another used cell and sell a refurbished battery.

Or, I keep the batteries to use in RC stuff and flashlights

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post