SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Frustrating Experience With Dimmable LED Bulbs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frustrating Experience With Dimmable LED Bulbs Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I installed a new dining room light fixture last year that takes 4 standard sized bulbs and wired in a Lutron LED compatible dimmer switch.

The current set of bulbs have never been right, they would flicker randomly every once in a great while and finally one just burned out so I decided to replace them. Can’t remember the brand, I think they were Walmart Great Value brand.

Ordered a set of 4 new ones from 1000Bulbs.com and made sure they were dimmable and the listing stated “compatible with most dimmer switches”. I get them today and put them in and they BUZZ, and BUZZ LOUDLY. Mad

WTF! What am I doing wrong here?

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you're doing anything wrong, but I have had all the experiences you described as well.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16396 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I looked up the Lutron dimmer model (Skylark) and there was a bulb compatibility list that was surprisingly short. It looks like Cree bulbs in stock at my local Home Depot are on it, which I guess I’ll try next.

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the flickering dimmable lights. To stop them from flickering, i have to have them on full on.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the flickering dimmable lights. To stop them from flickering, i have to have them on full on.

Which defeats the whole purpose of a DIMMER Frown

posted Hide Post
Gotta pair the lights with the switches they work well with.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I installed a new dining room light fixture last year that takes 4 standard sized bulbs and wired in a Lutron LED compatible dimmer switch.

The current set of bulbs have never been right, they would flicker randomly every once in a great while and finally one just burned out so I decided to replace them. Can’t remember the brand, I think they were Walmart Great Value brand.

Ordered a set of 4 new ones from 1000Bulbs.com and made sure they were dimmable and the listing stated “compatible with most dimmer switches”. I get them today and put them in and they BUZZ, and BUZZ LOUDLY. Mad

What is the model number of the Lutron switch?

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked up the Lutron dimmer model (Skylark) and there was a bulb compatibility list that was surprisingly short. It looks like Cree bulbs in stock at my local Home Depot are on it, which I guess I’ll try next.

This is how you do it. There is a website on the small piece of green paper that came with your dinner. Go to that site and select from the ones that have been tested

Home Depot brand EcoSmart (really cheap) are surprisingly decent. Not sure if Lutron has tested them for use with that dinner though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UpTheIrons:
quote:

What is the model number of the Lutron switch?

It's SCL-153P-WH. I'm guessing on the color, he may have ivory, but electrically they are the same.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I got the Cree bulbs that were listed as compatible with the Lutron dimmer and they buzz a tiny, tiny bit if I get my ear near the fixture but otherwise they are fine. The other bulbs buzzed so loud you could hear them in the kitchen! They also dim from full bright to basically off which the other bulbs weren’t doing.

On another note I saw that the dimmer was marked “Coopersburg, PA”. I never knew Lutron was located like 15-20 minutes away from where I live.

Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
I hear you man.
Cheap ass computer processors from a pile of different sources.
I hate leds for that reason.

The bulb market is total and complete a crap shoot now a days.
Donno How many 4 pack of led bulbs I have picked over the years for clients, none act the same on a dimmer.

Stick with the incan bulbs on those dimmers. Way better light quality anyway.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
It's probably not a issue with the led bulb. Traditional dimmer switches need a certain amount of wattage to operate correctly with the bulb, leds are mostly below that minimum amount.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hopefully your CREE bulbs haven't burned out yet. I had the great idea of changing out some of mine to CREE bulbs and they went quickly. CREE = SHIT.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm going through similar frustration, but they're outside on the detached garage. There is a timer switch to turn the three lights on automatically. The original small 40w LED bulbs would flicker constantly or momentarily go off entirely. I tried 40w incandescent bulbs, but they don't last long in the colder weather.

I found some ACE HARDWARE 45w bulbs yesterday. They're larger size, but so far no issue.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
back in my previous life working for TI and analog power control IC devices, I did a lot of research with a few of the electricals I knew on brands and infant mortality in LED bulbs and we concluded that Cree probably had the best all over performance and longevity

now, that was a about 15 years ago - a lot may have changed, but my casual reading still shows Cree as one of the top manufacturers

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooch:
It's probably not a issue with the led bulb. Traditional dimmer switches need a certain amount of wattage to operate correctly with the bulb, leds are mostly below that minimum amount.

It’s a dimmer switch specifically built for LED’s...