SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas Boilers Being Banned In The UK: Heat Pumps Being Pushed: Updated
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Boilers Being Banned In The UK: Heat Pumps Being Pushed: Updated Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

How could anyone possibly know that based only on my post?

Then, I ask again...
What was the real purpose of posting it, if you're not trying to bash HP's?

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

Then, I ask again...

People are permitted to discuss anecdotes in my thread ya know.

It’s looking like it’s YOU that’s getting all defensive and weird about people not talking glowingly about heat pumps. Why is that?

Posts: 33881 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
quote:

Then, I ask again...

It’s looking like it’s YOU that’s getting all defensive and weird about people not talking glowingly about heat pumps. Why is that?

I'm in Kentucky, and my heat pump works quite fine, so there is a personal anecdote.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents
The technology is in-the-ground HP.

In 1987, I had a local plumber design in-the-ground HP using lines buried in the soil. The Deck house was well insulated with a solarium and a wood stove for back up heat.

Last year, a neighbor drilled a well for in-the-ground HP.

Now the Brits would be well served to use in-the-ground verses outside air.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The UK is gray and chilly a lot, but it never actually gets really cold. Modern air source heat pumps work fine there.

There’s nothing wrong with ground source heat pumps where they are feasible, but a huge percentage of the population of the UK lives in dense urban areas where ground source heat pumps are not practical.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33881 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23580 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing I’m reading is the sticker shock that the average UK consumer there is experiencing when they do decide to get a heat pump to replace a gas boiler.

Unlike the majority of our heat pump systems here, which are forced air, all of theirs are hydronic (radiator) based and they are being told their existing piping and radiators all need to be replaced as the old piping/radiators are not large enough. Easily doubling or tripling the cost of a system replacement and many people are refusing to do it.

More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
quote:

Then, I ask again...

If memory serves, Excam is a HVAC professional. That might have something to do with it.

I have two heat pumps (one upper, one lower) and live north of Cincinnati. They do alright. I will allow it’s kind of a “cold heat”. When it gets really cold I usually put a wood fire in and it’s all good.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8806 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is what totally PISSES me off about this CRAP. The average thermodynamic efficiency of a Natural Gas powered Generator is at 2 levels. One is the basic turbine/gen set design and that has an efficiency of 30 to 35%. Then there is the two stage design that basically has a secondary passive turbine running off the exhaust gases of the primary turbine engine and powering a secondary generator. It just about doubles the installation cost and foot print but the return is an efficiency in the low to mid 40 Percent range. BTW powerline losses for a grid run in the 5 to 8% range, so add that to the results for natural gas powered generators. Also note that probably 75-80% of all the worlds electricity is provided by natural gas powered generators.

Now contrast that with the thermodynamic efficiency of a modern high efficiency furnace. That is in the 94 to 98% range.

The big question here is why do these morons not realize that electric heat is not a solution, it is in fact a bigger problem that piping the gas direct to the furnaces. I will also note that is also an issue with electric cars, they are running off "dirty" electricity.

Finally if you were to design a car with a hybrid ICE/Electric drivetrain it's actually possible to get an ICE engine to yield a 50% efficiency. The key to this is that the ICE engine must be a ground up design as a Constant speed engine, meaning it runs at one single RPM. If you need more power you can gain torque by using the throttle on the engine and when it's running at max torque you can then use the battery pack to provide a short period of maximum system power. As for braking, that is all regenerative with a couple of disk brakes up front providing a reserve. Basically it's a locomotive powertrain designed for passenger cars and maximum efficiency. Start building cars to that standard and you'll actually have a vehicle that is very carbon light.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My place has a heat pump. Granted it is a small cottage, maybe 6-700 square feet tops but it did fine last winter. I keep it at 65 and turn it down when at work and I don't think I had a monthly bill above $160.00. It did struggle when we had a cold snap down to -30 for a few days. I have a backup propane heater I use primarily for power outages (otherwise the generator would struggle to run the HP and the other items I want to keep online) but even in NH the -30 thing is a once every couple of years sort of temperature. I believe on refrigerant alone it'll supposedly handle to -35 but as others have said, at that point its running nonstop even in this place which is extremely well insulated.

All that said, fuck these mandates sideways. This is a rental so obviously I don't have much control over how it was built but if I had my own place, I absolutely would want an oil furnace as in a pinch I can run to a gas station for diesel if needed.

Posts: 2198 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
The UK is gray and chilly a lot, but it never actually gets really cold. Modern air source heat pumps work fine there.

There’s nothing wrong with ground source heat pumps where they are feasible, but a huge percentage of the population of the UK lives in dense urban areas where ground source heat pumps are not practical.

Nailed it. Not only that, but the sub-surface infrastructure can be up to 150 - 175 years in towns AND cities across the UK.

My part of rural Cambridgeshire is literally on the boundary line between upland shale and what, until the late 1600's, was marshy fenland - IOW - swamp - just like the Everglades.

Heat pumps?

I think not.

Posts: 11335 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post