SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trail bike, Specialized Stumpjumper or Scott Spark? Which is the better all rounder ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trail bike, Specialized Stumpjumper or Scott Spark? Which is the better all rounder ? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:

FWIW I don't ride much at all these days as most don't at my age. But I still have a Sheldon Brown designed 1991 Bridgestone CB-0 (aka CB Zip) in fully functioning shape with a few personal tweaks like the Scott handlebars.

Saris Bones bike rack in the corner.

You brought back some fond memories. I was working in a bike shop in 1991, we sold Bridgestones. I remember the CB-0 well. Glad to see one living still.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7005 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
In theory the shock being hidden inside the frame should help it last longer between service intervals because it’s not getting sprayed with mud and cleaning chemicals after a ride.

It’s a pretty neat design and really makes for a great looking frame.

Here’s the access you get to the shock with the hatch removed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21130 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume with the shock being internal to the frame that there is something external to allow you to set-up your sag? My Evil, although the full shock is visible/accessible, has a sag ‘meter’, the rest of my bikes either have the % listed on the shock shaft or are accessible to do so the measurement/math.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I don’t know anything about the bikes.

My brush with Specialized was outfitting their headquarters in Morgan Hill California with about 75K worth of Roller shades.

I had no idea of what they did until I walked in.

They are pretty high tech and their headquarters has a bike museum with a bunch of awesome bikes.

I was impressed with the complex and they let folks bring their dogs to work with them.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3500 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridja75:
I assume with the shock being internal to the frame that there is something external to allow you to set-up your sag? My Evil, although the full shock is visible/accessible, has a sag ‘meter’, the rest of my bikes either have the % listed on the shock shaft or are accessible to do so the measurement/math.

Good question!

There is a sag indicator on the outside of the frame that allows you to easily see the level of sag and adjust accordingly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21130 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome, setting up SAG correctly is absolutely critical.

Sweet ride!

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The specs on Scott’s e-bike Genius are pretty amazing. Over 1000W of pedal assistance means you’ll be going up any hill with speed and ease. Over 300mm travel too.

Knowing what over 1000W of power feels like on a bike (my ebike goes up to almost 3000w) and coupling that with 310mm of travel must be incredible on the trails.

The only time I’m using 2000W+ of power is when I’m already over 30mph and doing a top speed test. Realistically 1100W will be more than plenty of pedal assist for shredding and hill climbing.

Yeah it’s as expensive as a dirt bike but I can’t ride a dirt bike legally on the miles of trails at the many local trails/bike parks I live near.

Scott’s Genius e-bike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I did ten miles on my old and beaten to hell but recently refreshed Giant Anthem X29 2 (2012). Around 80% of that was trail riding at a fairly brisk pace. I didn’t get the sag right and bottomed out a few times but at least I’m not feeling sore or tired at all today. I was expecting to be hurting today not feeling incredible.

I increased the psi quite a bit thanks to a handy 300psi max Fox racing hand pump and now the sag is right around 30% when I’m sitting on it. I rode it a little in my yard and got it airborne a few times and didn’t bottom it out like I did yesterday.

Considering the trails I ride and how I’m not really doing all that much crazy or aggressive stuff the Spark should serve me well. Smile

Riding those same trails on my hardtail beat and bounced the crap out of me. I love hardtail bikes but for riding rooted and rock filled trails I am beginning to love full suspension bikes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ll be primarily riding the beginner and intermediate trails that I live 5 minutes away from.

I thought about a Genius but for what I’ll be riding most of the time the Spark should be fine.

I ran into a fellow 2022 Candy Orange Scott Spark owner today. His suction cup carry set up for that carbon framed Spark on top of his Mustang was quite brave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~