SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trail bike, Specialized Stumpjumper or Scott Spark? Which is the better all rounder ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trail bike, Specialized Stumpjumper or Scott Spark? Which is the better all rounder ? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
With my electric bicycle project’s completion nearing the finish line and my beater trail bike donating many of its parts to my ebike build I am starting to look for a proper replacement trail bike to thrash.

I live near quite a few tons of trails that range from mild to fairly wild.

I have narrowed down my search to either a Specialized Stumpjumper or a Scott Spark. I am leaning towards the Spark for a few reasons, my local bike shop which is less than 5 min from my house has a fantastic relationship with Scott. I also like the three modes of the rear shock (it’s hidden inside the frame) which are lockout, traction control and downhill.

I have an old Stumpjumper that’s a hoot to ride but is really showing it’s age.

Which one would you select?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21130 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I am a Specialized fanboy. (I ride an Epic that is also older but still in great shape)

That 970 looks nice though. How do the components compare?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've always favored Cannondale, but have very little mtn experience.

The Scott looks 'simpler' and less prone to mechanical bits getting mud/grit exposure.

Less curve to the tubes, the Scott looks like it'd be stiffer frame.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15399 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Curious... the trend to totally bury cables in frame tubing has always seemed stupid to me as servicing becomes a royal PITA. With a shock hidden in the frame here aren't you also tempting fate should it leak or otherwise have issues?

FWIW I don't ride much at all these days as most don't at my age. But I still have a Sheldon Brown designed 1991 Bridgestone CB-0 (aka CB Zip) in fully functioning shape with a few personal tweaks like the Scott handlebars.

Saris Bones bike rack in the corner.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16262 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I love my Stumpy! I also have a Scott. They both make great bikes.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are both good bikes. Is availability an issue near you? I have a buddy that had to wait some time for his new bike last month, said there still is a general shortage on new bikes.

Also - any chance to test ride both bikes before deciding?

Posts: 270 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

stickman428 would be my go to guy for this question. Razz

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spark is more of a cross country bike than a trail bike. I think the genius is the scott trail bike.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I am biased toward the Stumpjumper. I had a 2019 version rode it on trails in TX, OK, Bentonville, AR. I took it up the lift in Crested Butte, CO and handled it better than I would have expected. I have test ridden the newer Stumpjumper, the pedaling platform is stiffer and the acceleration is better.

Before the new Stumpjumper frame came out I switched to Santa Cruz Tallboy4 for trails and built up a Specialized Status with bigger suspension and brakes for ski lift days in New Mexico and Colorado. If I only had 1 bike the Stumpy would be a great fit.

The Scott design looks really clean. I am not sure how well the reality of of hiding the shock inside the frame will workout? I have ridden a bike with cable actuated shock lockout and found it was just extra clutter on the handlebars. I don't throw the switch that often and it is easy to do manually on the Stumpy directly on the shock. I ride in open position 90% of the time. A good relationship with local bike shop can be helpful if you ever break anything.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
The frames probably come from the same factory. Take the bike with the higher specs on components. (Personally, I prefer Shimano stuff, but SRAM makes perfectly acceptable parts as well.)

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

stickman428 would be my go to guy for this question. Razz

I know a bit about 4130 hard tail mtn bikes that very much resemble big guy BMX bikes (which I love) as well as building a pretty fast electric bike out of one but the full suspension trail bike is an area where I could definitely learn a lot more.

I’m really torn between the two bikes I mentioned. The Specialized is tempting because I have a very old full suspension Stumpjumper that I have gotten airborne a lot and it’s been a solid bike.

I have a great relationship with my LBS. Everything they say about Scott and their products makes me interested in owning one of their bikes. When I hear about the occasional broken frame being replaced no questions asked I become interested in the brand.

The Specialized dealers are about 25-35 minutes away on the other side of town. My proximity to my LBS and their abundance of Scott bikes is not making it an easy decision.

Stlhead, good point on the Genius, I’ll see if my LBS has one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21130 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it.

Bald1, the bike has a rather large lockable door to access and check the rear shock, all the controls for the shock are on the handlebar.

My proximity to a Scott dealer who I have an exquisite relationship with pushed me to pull the trigger on a Spark.

I put money down on one of these today.

Now for the interesting part. They will be getting in a graphite/stealthy painted Genius in April. If no one snatches it up I’ll possibly spend a bit more and get the longer travel Genius. If someone grabs it before it actually reaches the store I’ll be stuck with this bright as hell baby, which I’m perfectly fine with as I’m not 100% sure I want to spend the extra $$$$ on the Genius. Cool

At least people should be able to see me coming from a mile away. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nice. Going with the store you have a good rapport with is what I would have done as well. Plus, the hidden shock thing looks really cool in the same way as a single sided swingarm does.

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Bald1, the bike has a rather large lockable door to access and check the rear shock, all the controls for the shock are on the handlebar.

Ah...good deal with the access port. Sounds like it'd be unlikely it fails needing whole replacement.

Best wishes for you to enjoy your new yellow streaker!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16262 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
New Bike Day! Always fun!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pretty great bike. I was going to suggest a Corsair Ducat. I have always wanted one and it seems to be what you’re looking for.

Looks like they were bought out and now no longer available. That’s a total shame, as it’s the damn best all around frame in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Sweet bike, but damn have mountain bikes gotten pricey. That bicycle cost more than the first two cars I owned. And I bet it smokes substantially less than one of them. Big Grin

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Sweet bike, but damn have mountain bikes gotten pricey. That bicycle cost more than the first two cars I owned. And I bet it smokes substantially less than one of them. Big Grin

At that price I'm thinking they're aluminum. Carbon would start at $4,000.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
bigdeal, Those are both base models with aluminum frames. Many of the top tier mountain bikes are now well north of $7000. Eek And that’s for a regular bike, they are not even electric bikes…some of those are north of $12k…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
What does ‘trail riding’ mean to you?

The Genius has a lot of travel if you’re not going to actually be hitting kickers or flying through rock gardens/logs/gnar. The Spark is Scott’s XC bike but is more than capable for mid-to-agressive trails. The Spark will theoretically climb better.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post