SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Etc. Folks: Advice sought on carrying in grizzly country
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Etc. Folks: Advice sought on carrying in grizzly country Login/Join 
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted
Heading up to the Big Sky area to do some fly fishing and hiking in a few weeks. This will be my first time in grizzly country and I'm debating whether or not to pack a 10mm or just stick with bear spray. I've bow hunted in areas with lots of black bears where I carried a can of Frontiersman just in case I ever ran across a sow with cubs. Figured that was the only real concern with the black bears and I'd rather spray mama bear than shoot her. Not sure I feel the same way about a grizzly. So, Montana Folks, is spray adequate to make you feel safe?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Salty Dawg,

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6461 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess I need not respond, I was a Ranger in NW Wyoming in the heart of the Primary Conservation Area for the Grizzly bear. On the off chance that this response may be relevant…I’d carry both and reach for the bear spray first, if you have an encounter.

Posts: 13382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
That idiot Treadwell was up here in Alaska.

Posts: 1748 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Both, source a very good rig to carry the 10mm, miles and weight add up to pain. I’d go something like Hill People Gear, but there’s a bunch of similar ideas out there.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5188 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
For sure both. Make sure you get yourself appropriate ammo for the situation. Just buying plain old ammo from the sporting good outlet is not going to be good enough. And you want good enough if you find yourself in a life or death struggle with a wildly pissed off griz.
Make a good, well thought out plan ahead of time. It could save your life.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19357 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both. Pick up the spray at the local LGS.
Having a carrier for the spray that's handy and accessible, a chest rig like Hill People Gear or, FHF Gear works well.

Posts: 14794 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My suggestions:

This....

Or this...

Being the sportsman that you likely are, the bear spray would be a prudent warning to the pending BOOM!

What is the old addage.... "You only lose one disagreement with a Grizzly Bear"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38053 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
A quick look at ft./lbs energy the 10 mm is only giving 368 ft/lbs.
Compare to 500 magnum which is 3458 ft/lbs and 454 casull which is 2664 ft/lbs.
I would be inclined to go the latter routes if my life depended on it…just my uneducated guess as I’ve never been in grizzly country but have spent lots of time in black bear country fly fishing…I have bear spray for those trips and always wondered what I should get for the unlikely last stand.

Posts: 3126 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to AK, MT, and ID with grizzly or browns and there's no way I'd be fucking around with some bear spray if you're confronted. You'd better get your large caliber pistol or 12 gauge slug gun ready to blast. Just sayin'

Posts: 953 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
I've been to AK, MT, and ID with grizzly or browns and there's no way I'd be fucking around with some bear spray if you're confronted. You'd better get your large caliber pistol or 12 gauge slug gun ready to blast. Just sayin'

You’ve never actually had an encounter with a bear though, have you.

G bears are still on the Endangered Species List. Kill one and you may be able to show that it was justified, or you may not. I still say bear spray first, if that doesn’t cause the bear to break off, then draw your pistol.

Watch a few videos, see if that doesn’t convince you to spray first. Beyond that, enjoy yourself. Prepare for the worst, but don’t expect the worse. Expect to have a great time in a beautiful place and little likelihood of a bear encounter.

Posts: 13382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’ve never fought a grizzly but if I had to, I would want 454 Casull power. I have a Smith 460 xvr. Id take that and bear spray.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29787 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

G bears are still on the Endangered Species List. Kill one and you may be able to show that it was justified, or you may not. I still say bear spray first, if that doesn’t cause the bear to break off, then draw your pistol.

Watch a few videos, see if that doesn’t convince you to spray first. Beyond that, enjoy yourself. Prepare for the worst, but don’t expect the worse. Expect to have a great time in a beautiful place and little likelihood of a bear encounter.

I've not....have you been charged TMats ? Tell us how it worked out please !

Posts: 953 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've never been in that situation, but for decent firepower I'd probably take my L.A.R. "Grizzly" pistol in .50AE. I shoot it well, and the muzzle flash alone would probably scare a bear off. (Wink)
grizzly50 by David Casteel, on Flickr

However, I suggest you take heed of what the experienced responders say.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ruger 454 Super Redhawk Alaskan.. plus spray

With a name like that it's got to be for Bears n such...

Plus if you don't have one, it's a great reason to pick up a new firearm and a chest carry holster. The shorter barrel will be easier to pull...

Or you could go with someone who doesn't run as fast as you

Posts: 23739 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've not....have you been charged TMats ? Tell us how it worked out please !

It was a bluff charge, which are much more common than a charge with serious intent. I was ready with bear spray, but didn’t even have to deploy that. There are a couple things I’m trying to convey. First, bear spray is effective. That even if you have an encounter with a G bear, it’s not likely to be a charge with serious intent. Finally, kill one if you have to, but don’t expect it to drop at your feet like in the movies, and you will have to face USFWS and “prove” the necessity of the kill.

posted Hide Post
Ive spent hundreds of days in the Mission Mountain Wilderness (Flathead Reservation side is a Grizzly Preserve) and the NW corner of Glacier Park (one of the highest concentrations of Griz in North America)

I never carried anything other than Bear Spray

I’ve been bluff charged multiple times

I’m more afraid of a cow Moose than a Griz

Store food correctly in the back country, don’t give anything reason to explore where you are. They are inquisitive

Griz are apex predators. If they want, they will kill you. I don’t care if someone carried a howitzer as a side arm. Most don’t and could care less about you unless you threaten them

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6254 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My recommendation for you is to follow TMats' recommendation. He knows what he's talking about.

Posts: 20212 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Thanks for the feedback, TMats! One follow up question: We will be in groups of 4-6 on our hikes and while fishing (no camping involved this time around). Is it normal for everyone to carry spray or is that overkill?

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:

We will be in groups of 4-6 on our hikes and while fishing (no camping involved this time around). Is it normal for everyone to carry spray or is that overkill?

Since you have 4 perhaps 6 I'd suggest you only fish one pair at a time, two more will go on overwatch, one with a Barrett 50, the other with a fully auto GE Mini Gun, two others should be on roving patrol in full armor with a case each of bear spray and carry KSG 12 shotguns with full slug ammo. You should have plenty of camo paint to blend in as well as full on Sat Com's for SITREPS every 1/4 hour..... Big Grin

Posts: 23739 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post