SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Etc. Folks: Advice sought on carrying in grizzly country
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Etc. Folks: Advice sought on carrying in grizzly country Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:

Thanks for the feedback, TMats! One follow up question: We will be in groups of 4-6 on our hikes and while fishing (no camping involved this time around). Is it normal for everyone to carry spray or is that overkill?

Hmm. That's not a simple question to answer. Hiking in as a group, I would guess that if at least two people have bear spray, then you're probably just fine. Remember to make some noise as you hike in, something like, "Hey bear!" loudly repeated as you hike in. The number of people you describe greatly diminishes the chance that you'll have an encounter with a bear at all. Announcing yourselves as you hike in gives any bear that may be in the vicinity the opportunity to move away from your group as you approach. The number of people in your group is a big thing, bears aren't stupid.

When you get to the river or stream and spread out to fish. That's where you'll need to make a decision about whether or not everyone needs a can. The damn stuff is expensive! That's going to be something you and your group needs to talk about in town before heading to the back country.

Posts: 13381 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Stopping” bears with handgun or rifle cartridges...
(From Buffalo Bore ammo)

https://www.buffalobore.com/in...=product_list&c=62#9

Posts: 1600 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I lived for 5 years in Alaska and frequently hiked and fished in grizzly bear country (heck, Anchorage had 60+ living in city limits year around). I liked counterassault brand bear spray for several reasons:
  • they sold a 3-in-1 holster . Could be carried as a chest holster, attach to backback strap, or attached to belt. Chest holster is great for in fishing waders or wearing a backpack.
  • they sold an inert training cannister so you could get a feel for the 2 second spray and then if that didn't work spraying the rest of the canister (~5 seconds).
  • it's one of the oldest bear spray brands and lots of success testimonials. In other words, not some fly by night copy cat with questionable canister and questionable contents.

One thing that tends to happen is people will put their bear protection in a backpack which is slow to access. Even worse, people will leave their backpack onshore and go wading out into the river. The counterassault 3-in-1 holster was so easy to have with you regardless of whether you were hiking or standing in the middle of a river. Same thing could be said about my chest holster for my 454 Casull.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23422 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sleepla8er
    posted Hide Post

Research on actual handgun usage against Bear attacks:

Handgun or Pistol Against Bear Attacks 104 cases, 97% Effective
    Ammoland Inc.
    Posted on June 22, 2021 by Dean Weingarten
    www.AmmoLand.com/2021/06/handgun-or-pistol-against-bear-attacks-104-cases-97-effective/#axzz7OqMMNaDn

Update of Pistol Defenses Against Bears 123 Cases, 98% Effective
    Ammoland Inc.
    Posted on April 11, 2022 by Dean Weingarten
    www.AmmoLand.com/2022/04/update-of-pistol-defenses-against-bears-123-cases-98-effective/#axzz8AOZMhuwd

Handgun Defenses Against Bears – 170 Documented Incidents, 98% Effective
    Ammoland Inc.
    Posted on June 19, 2023 by Dean Weingarten
    www.AmmoLand.com/2023/06/handgun-defenses-against-bears-170-documented-incidents-98-effective/#axzz8AOZMhuwd

Posts: 2863 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No More
    Mr. Nice Guy
    posted Hide Post
    What TMATS said.

Posts: 9555 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    .22 LR should be sufficient. Use it to kneecap your companion, leaving him to be the slow runner, while you get out of Dodge.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30919 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of aileron
    posted Hide Post
    I always take my Ruger 454 Alaskan in a drop leg holster, and spray, when I'm out where Mr Bear and I are likely to meet.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sourdough44
    posted Hide Post
    I wouldn’t buy anything new, unless you wanted it for other reasons. Unless going seriously remote, I’d just take a regular CC gun.

One thing I like about spray, the threshold to use it is much lower than shooting, who cares.

In a group a mix would be good. I did a little fishing in MT this June, don’t tell, but all I brought was a 380.

Posts: 6230 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    As Extraordinary
    as Everyone Else
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    I’m certainly no expert but when you look at the ballistics of virtually any pistol round it is pathetic compared to something like a pump action 12 gauge with 3” magnum Buffalo Bore slugs.

On our Alaska trip we took a 12 gauge and a can of bear spray. We ended up using the bear spray on an aggressive 400 pound black bear in remote BC Canada but the shotgun was the next phase if he didn’t turn and run off snorting…

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6382 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I will defer to what TMATS says. He has spent more time in the woods than I have.
    I usually carried a Ruger Alaskan in .44 mag. when I went fly fishing but sold it (it was big and heavy) and now sling a 12 gauge over my shoulder and keep my head on a swivel.

PC

Posts: 1346 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Inject yourself!
    posted Hide Post
    The articles I read about bear encounters around usually involve archery hunters stumbling on a bear or bear attracted to the hunters kill.

Talking to folks like TMats, Alaska folks etc., I go with bear spray for each person and personally carry a 10mm or something you can shoot one handed. The gun more for crazies.

Make noise, keep the food and trash secure, try not to be out in the dark before sunrise or after sunset. Check the banks for bear sign or actual bears before wading out.

That’s just me.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
    Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
    Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8349 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    As mentioned , take both spray and a gun. I prefer the G20 with hard cast rounds for the gun and riot spray from my local cop shop.

Posts: 12508 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eschew Obfuscation
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Genorogers:
    I've not....have you been charged TMats ? Tell us how it worked out please !

It was a bluff charge, which are much more common than a charge with serious intent.

quote:
    Originally posted by snwghst:

I’ve been bluff charged multiple times

This sounds like a uniquely unpleasant experience.

Speaking for myself, I would be sure to have an extra pair of undies on hand. Eek

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6461 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    I guess I need not respond, I was a Ranger in NW Wyoming in the heart of the Primary Conservation Area for the Grizzly bear. On the off chance that this response may be relevant…I’d carry both and reach for the bear spray first, if you have an encounter.

+1

If you’ve not seen it, that old chubby bear is faster than you can believe possible.

In areas with limited visibility I carry the spray in my hand. As Tmats advised, shouting “Hey Bear” from time to time is also great advice.

Silent

Posts: 1047 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of aileron
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Silent:
    As Tmats advised, shouting “Hey Bear” from time to time is also great advice.

Silent

Posts: 1481 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get on the fifty!
    Picture of Andyb
    posted Hide Post
    I'll be in Yellowstone next month and went through a similar decision. Ended up using it as an excuse to get a G20 10mm and some 220gr rounds. Waiting to pick it up this week

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3612 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Better Than I Deserve!
    Picture of LBTRS
    posted Hide Post
    I grew up in Idaho and if I were concerned about running into a grizzy I would be carrying a firearm and not bear spray.

That said, I fly-fished all over the state and never carried a firearm or bear spray growing up.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Jack of All Trades,
    Master of Nothing
    Picture of 2000Z-71
    posted Hide Post
    I've got a multi layered response of Bear Dog, Bear Spray and Bear Gun. The biggest thing is just make sure and have it with you and easily accessible. Having to unzip a bag, unbutton a pocket, etc to get to it and you're screwed.

Take a lesson from me. Back in June was hiking in Eagle River Nature Center. Got back to the parking lot walked up to the passenger side of the truck, let my dog launch himself in through the back door, opened the front door and ditched my chest holster and camera bag in the passenger seat, walked around to the driver's side, noticed a huge steaming pile of bear shit next to my rear tire, turned to open the driver's door and noticed I'm getting stared down by a huge Black Bear sow with two cubs behind her only 30' away. My Bear Dog didn't even notice until I opened the door. I told him he's fired. Lesson learned, always have it with you and accessible.

As far as what I carry for a firearm, it's evolved over the past few years. Started off with a Smith 629 Mountain Gun in .44 Magnum. Did have a Dan Wesson Razorback 1911 in 10mm but never really carried it much as a woods gun. Moved to Alaska and started carrying the Dan Wesson when on road trips. Then Canada with their ridiculous gun laws forced me to buy a Smith 329. Was planning n a photography tour for Brown Bears in Haines, AK, to get there one has to drive through part of Canada and then re-enter Alaska. Used to be Canada only allowed permits to transport handguns with a barrel length of 4.1" or longer. My Mountain Gun is 4.0" even the 329 is 4.125". Love the lightweight of the 329 especially when packing around camera gear. It is finicky on ammo with extraction issues with some loads and really not fun to practice with full magnum loads. Then got a Ruger GP100 3" in 10mm and fell in love with that gun. Started carrying it when I didn't feel like carrying a full sized N-Frame. Now I've got a Sig X-Ten and have started carrying it in a chest holster while hiking the trails close to Eagle River and Anchorage.

How to carry is probably just as important as the gun itself. I'm really starting to love the chest holster and my Sig X Ten. I've got a Gunfighter's Inc. chest holster and also have their Bear Spray holster that I hand off the chest holster's harness opposite a spare magazine. It makes for a great grab and go package. It allows me to carry it, have it accessible and not interfere when I'm carrying camera gear in a backpack.

I've got a Diamond D leather chest holster for my N-frames as well as a cross draw from Mernickle that really works well and allows me to carry it concealed. Also a Galco VHS shoulder holsters for the N-frames and 1911. Do not get the VHS for the 1911, the retention leaves a lot to be desired and the gun can fall out of the top of the holster when bending over to pick something up, ask me how I know... The problem with carrying concealed at times can be accessing the firearm under layers of clothing. Was out photographing the Northern Lights one night when it was bitterly cold. Had a moose walk out of the woods close by and realized my 1911 was not really all that accessible in a shoulder holster underneath a heavy arctic parka.

As far as Bear Spray vs. a Bear Gun, I say carry both, just make sure they're easily accessible.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11813 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Accomplice
    posted Hide Post
    To echo the post above, no matter what you choose, make sure it’s something you can access with immediacy. From what I’ve read, these massive bears can close on you with amazing speed. There was a guy taking pictures of one with his camera and it closed the distance on the guy before he ever got a shot off. I would even practice in your full load out, reaching for/ aiming your choice of deterrent.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1951 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Official Space Nerd
    Picture of Hound Dog
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by HRK:
    Ruger 454 Super Redhawk Alaskan.. plus spray

I spent 16 months in Alaska in the mid '90s. I carried a Remington 870 with slugs and/or a .44Mag SW Model 629 (IIRC) every time I went fishing or Grouse hunting. I went jogging through the woods (we were at a remote radar station out in the boondocks), and never carried anything but maybe a multi-tool. Never had a problem. Of course, that doesn't necessarily validate my practices. Today, I would carry at LEAST a can of bear spray while out in the wilderness.

If I could do it over and live in Alaska again, I would keep the 12 gauge and add the .454 Super Redhawk Alaskan. The .454 has MUCH greater power than the .44, .357, and 10mm. . .

I never had a bear encounter, but that .44Mag sure gave me some self-confidence.

I would also carry spray as my Option # 1.

If there is a group of 4-6 of you, I would STILL recommend every person carry spray. You never know when an encounter may occur. It may happen that a member gets confronted while separated from the 'sprayers.' Personally, I would want to rely on my own spray. It's really not that expensive, considering it could save your life.

Fear God and Dread Nought
    Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21862 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post