SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big Ben is fully restored
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Ben is fully restored Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
A feel good story. Pics in article.

“The last remaining face of Big Ben has now been fully restored to its former glory - and showing the correct time - after its refurbishment.

Over the past five years, the 96-metre tower and the clockwork and bell mechanism within it have undergone the biggest repair and conservation project in its history.

The bell at the world-famous London landmark was barely rung while the tower was covered in scaffolding - which was removed in late 2021, revealing a view of the clock face's restored original paint colour.

When black paint was stripped away from the dials during repair work earlier this year, it was discovered that it was originally painted in a dark hue known as Prussian blue…”

Big Ben is BACK! Last remaining face of iconic clock now restored
https://mol.im/a/10766885

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Very impressive. I'd like a watch with the same face.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The blue looks good instead the the black...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
"Big Ben" is the name of the bell, not the clock. The clock itself doesn't appear to have a name, but the tower it is located in was originally just called the "Clock Tower", but was renamed the "Elizabeth Tower" in 2012 to commemorate Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'Oh look, a clock' ...in my best Ron Swanson voice Wink

In all seriousness, nice to see the tower all cleaned-up, that blue is nice. I was recently watching an episode on Notre Dame and the restoration efforts. Looks like they've got quite a timeline to get things repaired and a new roof installed. Pretty ambitious, hats off if they can do it.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Here's a few insights into the actual size of those clock faces....https://www.dw.com/en/londons-big-ben-bell-falls-silent-for-four-years/a-40085267

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The Wikipedia article on the clock and tower is also pretty good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ben

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That’s pretty cool about how they found the original color of the clock face under all the black. I love this recent archeology type stuff; finding out about long lost or buried things in the past 500-1,000 years fascinates me way more than things from 3,000 years ago or more.

The discovery reminded me of an archeological dig 2 or so years in Dublin, Ireland where they uncovered a long lost part of the city from the Viking and Medieval periods. The city’s literal name is from the Irish Gaelic Dubh Linn meaning “Black Pool” which is a harbor that the Vikings used to moor their longships in where the River Poddle (now literally a trickle) and the River Liffey joined together. They could never figure out how the Vikings were mooring ships in the area they *thougt* was the black pool but they just uncovered evidence that the area that was marked out was wrong and the black pool was like 10 times the size of that and much much deeper too. Which makes sense as it was probably very dark being deep.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Look kids, Big Ben, Parliament.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
'Oh look, a clock' ...in my best Ron Swanson voice Wink

We don't have that in America.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 646 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
That’s pretty cool about how they found the original color of the clock face under all the black. I love this recent archeology type stuff; finding out about long lost or buried things in the past 500-1,000 years fascinates me way more than things from 3,000 years ago or more.

The discovery reminded me of an archeological dig 2 or so years in Dublin, Ireland where they uncovered a long lost part of the city from the Viking and Medieval periods. The city’s literal name is from the Irish Gaelic Dubh Linn meaning “Black Pool” which is a harbor that the Vikings used to moor their longships in where the River Poddle (now literally a trickle) and the River Liffey joined together. They could never figure out how the Vikings were mooring ships in the area they *thougt* was the black pool but they just uncovered evidence that the area that was marked out was wrong and the black pool was like 10 times the size of that and much much deeper too. Which makes sense as it was probably very dark being deep.

It always bemuses visitors to Ireland that on the front of a bus the sign reads Báile Atha Cliath...NOT Dublin. [Say, more or less, Boil-ya clia...]

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
The blue looks good instead the the black...
Agreed.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
When I read he title, my first thought was that Roethlisberger was going to bull a Brady, and come back for another season.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post