SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else into rewards credit cards?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else into rewards credit cards? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
I've been using them for awhile now, almost all for travel. In the past 6 years the most I've paid for airfare in total has probably been $100-200. And that's just the .gov fees and taxes that they charge when you book your ticket that you can't use points for.

The Southwest Chase Visa is the one that I've had the longest. I got 50,000 points when I initially signed up which at the time was enough for 2 round trip tickets.

The other ones I've had are a combination of these three.

I had used the Amex until Jetblue decided to break that partnership and switch to Barclay's Mastercard. The points seem to go a decent distance. Although I just signed up for the plus card in addition to the standard card, which will give me an additional 40k points after I spend $1k in 90 days.

I had contemplated getting a hotel card but from what I've seen they're all garbage as far as the points go and they don't have any good promotional offers. With a lot of them you'd need 100k points just to get a few free days.

So my wife got the Chase sapphire rewards card that can be used towards travel purchases. This gives you more bang for your buck so to speak when booking hotels.

What does everyone here use?

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I prefer cash back cards.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31449 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
AmEx Blue Cash “Classic” (not offered anymore, replaced with the Preferred and the basic Blue Cash)

5% back on gas, supermarket and pharmacy
1% back on everything else

I don’t think that can be beat, honestly. No annual fee...

Posts: 2348 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Given our annual volume, I should probably switch by apathy has killed that.

I've always figured that a 1% cash back card isn't that much different than my AMEX points (worth about a penny per point per dollar spent) and wife's Hilton card.

I have a friend who actively games this whole market space. He spends way too much time on in IMHO, but he can't stop now it seems.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
AmEx Blue Cash “Classic” (not offered anymore, replaced with the Preferred and the basic Blue Cash)

5% back on gas, supermarket and pharmacy
1% back on everything else

I don’t think that can be beat, honestly. No annual fee...

A version of this AmEx is still offered through USAA with the 5% being on everything bought on a military base. 1% on everything else. No fees. Called AmEx Cash Back Rewards Plus.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Chase Sapphire Reserve. 3% back on all restaurants and travel. Plus annual credit towards travel, another credit towards Global Entry or TSA Precheck, and etc. This is my primary card.

REI Mastercard. 5% back on everything at REI, ontop of the 10% member dividend.

Target Card. 5% back on everything at Target.

Chase Freedom, Citi Dividend Platinum, and Citi MasterCard all have revolving 5% categories that change quarterly, or 1% back.

Citi Costco Visa - 4% back on Costco Gas, and 2% at Costco. This is ontop of the 2% back you get direct from Costco if you have their Executive membership.

Chase Amazon Prime - 5% back on Amazon purchases.

Between all of the above, most purchases are between 3 and 5%. Rarely need to rely on 1%.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I used a Southwest Airlines Visa for work-related expenses/travel for a number of years before we went to company-issued credit cards. Got a few free trips out of it.

Nowadays I just use my bank's rewards card (cash back or points to buy stuff in their "store"). Paid for a WC Centurion Tactical that way. Big Grin

Posts: 12550 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Costco Citi Bank card has cash back on all purchases. From 4% to 1%. We accumulated almost 400.00 in 10-months. They send you a certificate that you take to Costco where it can be cashed. You can buy the 1.50 hot dog with your certificate and get all your change back in cash.

Highly recommended...and NO monthly/yearly fee

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1439 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
If Southwest flew here I would probably have that card. As of right now my primary card is the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Aeteocles already mentioned most of the perks, but one he didn't mention and I use often is the free membership to Priority Pass. This allows you and your family/travel partners to accesss lounges enrolled in the program.

PriorityPass.com

I also use the Chase Freedom card to take advantage of their 5% back catagories.

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Being "into" a credit card might not be a wise thing.
However, if you use it (as I do) and pay it off each month and then reap the rewards ($ %) then that would be wise.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Capital One Spark Business Card - 2% cash back on everything

I think it's ~ $50 a year fee

If you spend a lot of money in your business ( supplies, etc... ) this thing can become a cash cow.

Posts: 394 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I pay for everything with my rewards card now.

I usually cash out with 100 dollar amazon cards.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4883 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
However, if you use it (as I do) and pay it off each month and then reap the rewards ($ %) then that would be wise.

Yup, that's all I do.

Q

Posts: 27611 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Being "into" a credit card might not be a wise thing.

I should have mentioned responsible spending. Racking up debt on any single card will cause the interest to cancel out any rewards.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Chase Sapphire Reserve just took care of my airfare for a dive trip. I put everything on my card these days.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My Navy Federal VISA has been 1% forever. I just recently started using it for things I normally wouldn't so the points accrue faster. I pay it off, or at least under $100, every month.

I just today signed up for the Amazon Rewards VISA. I buy so much stuff from them every month, it just seemed logical.

I will pay paying that down to 0 every month as they have a completely stupid interest rate of 15.75%!!! I bet a lot of people get screwed on that one!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SPG and Marriott sign up bonuses. Consider there are personal and business flavors of both, and can be combined with spouse (that’s 8 sign up bonuses). There are sign up bonuses for all of them, and some referral bonuses. Then google Marriott flight and hotel packages. For around 200k Marriott points, you get 7 nights in a hotel and 50k SW airline points to go with it. You can vary the airline, number of airline points, and hotel category for different amounts. Note, 1 SPG Point = 3 Marriott points when you transfer between the programs. But in August all SPG points convert and there is only Marriott points going forward due to their merger. The flight and hotel packages remain.

Posts: 347 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:

If you spend a lot of money in your business ( supplies, etc... ) this thing can become a cash cow.

The Capital One Sparks Business card has no annual fee. The consumer version, Venture One also has no annual fee, but cash back is 1.5% but there are other perks for travel related spending and meals.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Virtute et Armis
Picture of hft119
posted Hide Post
Chase Amazon Prime and Amex HHilton
Both are great cards

NRA Benefactor
GOA

Posts: 128 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:

This is what I use for my business excluding Costco runs on my Costco Executive Citi. No annual fee. I usually get between $1K and $2K each year.

Half that went to Mr Burke for some work Smile

Posts: 1827 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post