SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else into rewards credit cards?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else into rewards credit cards? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I use Chase cards for just about everything.

Sapphire Reserve, Freedom Unlimited, Freedom, Ink Business Plus, and United MileagePlus Select.

I pay them off in full every month and pretty much fly for free.

Posts: 2272 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have gone to the Fidelity Rewards Signature Visa. 2% unlimited cash back deposited into a Fidelity account.

I have done the hotel rewards cards for specific trips, and maintain an Amex Delta Skymiles card for the free annual companion ticket, but the Fidelity Card is now my main card.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I subscribe to the Chase Stacking method

Chase Sapphire Reserved for all travel and food: all airfare, train, subway, bus, home sharing, car sharing, hotel, motel and restaurant purchases. 3% back

Chase Freedom Unlimited for everything else. 1.5% back

Transfer all accumulated Unlimited Rewards points to the CSR account.

In-active cards: Costco Citi, Alaska Air and Capitol One Venture

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I subscribe to the Chase Stacking method

Chase Sapphire Reserved for all travel and food: all airfare, train, subway, bus, home sharing, car sharing, hotel, motel and restaurant purchases. 3% back

Chase Freedom Unlimited for everything else. 1.5% back

Transfer all accumulated Unlimited Rewards points to the CSR account.

In-active cards: Costco Citi, Alaska Air and Capitol One Venture

Yup, when you spend the points through Chase's website, they're worth 1.5x. The 10,000 points you accumulated are worth 15,000 points if you spend them through Chase's portal. Sometimes the prices on airfare are competitive, sometimes they're not, but it doesn't hurt to shop around.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Yes, very much!

Amazon card for Prime orders. 5% cash back
United Chase for flights. Double miles
Amex Everyday Cash for grocery. 3% cash back
Costco card for Costco and restaurants. 2-3% cash back

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is $450 a year. That's a hell of a lot of spending on travel and restaurants to make this card a value.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
@Keystoner

One other thing about the card we forgot to mention is that you get a $300 travel credit every year. So that takes the cost down to $150.

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is $450 a year. That's a hell of a lot of spending on travel and restaurants to make this card a value.

The CSR is a premium travel card, it competes with Amex Platinum and a few others. The initial sign-up bonus of 150,000 Ultimate Rewards points was the incentive for most, it's since shrunk down to 50k; you need to travel and pay-off to justify the high annual and APR. The current sign-up is down to 50k however the travel perks like insurance, Priority Pass and $300 travel credit are attractive to an active traveler. The Chase Sapphire Preferred is the better value for most people and for the same sign-up bonus of 50k; the annual fee of $95 vs the CSR's $150 also helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I have a Cabela's card & my wife has a ll bean card, but since we usually end up buying our stuff stuff from Amazon, the Amazon Prime card gets used almost all the time.

We always, always, always pay off the balances every month. I haven't done the math but it seems to me that it doesn't matter what kind of rewards a card pays, paying interest on a large credit card balance will kind of eat up any rewards you're getting.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post