SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun control advocates worried by President Trump’s judicial appointments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun control advocates worried by President Trump’s judicial appointments Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Some rare good news from the MSM.

“SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation, including a ban on the type of high-capacity ammunition magazines used in some of the nation’s deadliest mass shootings.

How long those types of laws will stand is a growing concern among gun control advocates in California and elsewhere.

A federal judiciary that is becoming increasingly conservative under President Donald Trump and the Republican-controlled U.S. Senate has gun control advocates on edge. They worry that federal courts, especially if Trump wins a second term next year and Republicans hold the Senate, will take such an expansive view of Second Amendment rights that they might overturn strict gun control laws enacted in Democratic-leaning states.

The U.S. Supreme Court so far has left plenty of room for states to enact their own gun legislation, said Adam Winkler, a gun policy expert at the University of California, Los Angeles School of Law. But he said the success of the Trump administration in appointing federal judges, including to the high court, could alter that.

“Those judges are likely to be hostile to gun-control measures,” Winkler said. “So I think the courts overall have made a shift to the right on guns. We’ll just have to see how that plays out.”

The legal tug-of-war already is playing out in California…”

More follows.

https://apnews.com/768bb5352e914874b36c1c970bca347e

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t rely on Roberts to do us any favors.
He’s just as likely to vote with Kagen, the “wise Latina” and RBG as he is to side with Thomas.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Whatever you think of Roberts, moving the lower federal courts to a more conservative point of view means that fewer cases backed by gun banners will actually make it to the Supreme Court. If the lower court decisions are well articulated (think Roger Benitez down in San Diego), then it's a lot easier for the higher courts, including the SCOTUS, to find in favor of protecting gun rights.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The courts are the main reason we need DJT re elected. Keep stacking the judges!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I completely agree that the judges Trump is nominating and Mitch is confirming are the best thing about this presidency and the number one reason why he needs to be reelected. We may not be seeing an impact right now but as time goes on this will pay dividends in spades.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I completely agree that the judges Trump is nominating and Mitch is confirming are the best thing about this presidency and the number one reason why he needs to be reelected. We may not be seeing an impact right now but as time goes on this will pay dividends in spades.
And President Trump knows this (and that we all know it).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. Meanwhile, the twatslots on the left are yammering about his tweets and his hair, he's making changes that will affect change for decades.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9686 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roberts is a POS. But a supreme POS.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Whatever you think of Roberts, moving the lower federal courts to a more conservative point of view means that fewer cases backed by gun banners will actually make it to the Supreme Court. If the lower court decisions are well articulated (think Roger Benitez down in San Diego), then it's a lot easier for the higher courts, including the SCOTUS, to find in favor of protecting gun rights.

See my Sig

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Really wish they would start picking judges that did NOT attend Ivy League schools. I think their morals in general would be a little better grounded. It's just a club for the elite class.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m not sure that the judges are the best thing. Don’t get me wrong, the judicial appointments are a great thing. I’m just not sure they are the best. They may turn out to be, and they may have the longest lasting impact, but there has been a heck of a lot of winning.

With the help of PDJT, the lamestream media has pretty much destroyed whatever credibility they may have had. The economy has greatly exceeded the “new normal” that his predecessor told us to get used to, and at least a lot of the credit for that belongs to the President, if not all of it. His America First approach gives voters the option of something other than two parties of big government, one that is sometimes seen as taking from the citizen to buy votes from the “victim du jour”, and the other that is sometimes seen as taking from the citizens to cater to “big business”. Who knows, with another five years of PDJT the voters may start to demand representatives who look at things like President Trump does.

Reforming the judiciary could be a beautiful thing. Reforming the electorate might be even better. Who knows what great thing President Trump does will turn out to be the best? For me, I’ll just keep enjoying all the winning. Big Grin

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Really wish they would start picking judges that did NOT attend Ivy League schools. I think their morals in general would be a little better grounded. It's just a club for the elite class.

Thomas: Yale University.
Gorsuch: Harvard Law School.
Kavanaugh: Yale University.

All pretty good picks.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
...gun control advocates... worry that federal courts, especially if Trump wins a second term next year and Republicans hold the Senate, will take such an expansive view of Second Amendment rights that they might overturn strict gun control laws enacted in Democratic-leaning states.

This should have read, 'worry that their unConstitutional crap may go the way of the dodo.'

And they are right to worry. Adult supervision is making a comeback! Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
...gun control advocates... worry that federal courts, especially if Trump wins a second term next year and Republicans hold the Senate, will take such an expansive view of Second Amendment rights that they might overturn strict gun control laws enacted in Democratic-leaning states.
I don't consider it an "expansive view" at all--it's just a return the original intent of the Amendment.

And they should not be only worried about what it might portend for state laws, but I think there are plenty of federal laws which could also come under fire (and should).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post