SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    woodstove chimney, cap or no cap?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

woodstove chimney, cap or no cap? Login/Join 
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Cap here also. I burn wood approx. 7 months. I do clean my chimney twice a season and run creosote sticks several times a season.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I keep mine uncapped during burn season and cap it when it's not being used.

My roof pitch is 23:12, once during winter I had to get up there and clear the cap.

Brushing in good weather is fun enough during winter is too exciting for me.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cap and wire mesh

RC

Posts: 1942 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Stainless Steel Cap with 3/4" mesh is best and will not be a problem if you operate the wood stove properly and the stove is installed properly..

I could say a lot more on this subject... but it should cost y'all....

(37years inspecting, sweeping and repairing wood stove chimneys...) CSIA #599

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
I reckon it all depends on whether or not you want water running down the pipe when it rains. Big Grin

Or bats, raccoons, etc...

Cap and mesh on mine.

I clean my chimney from the bottom, inside the house with a 6" chimney brush. Also burn a "creosote buster" log twice each season.

Never had a bat or raccoon but did have a bird get in our wood stove at the other house once.

Prior to capping the chimney at my parent's house we had a bird, a bat, a flying squirrel and a wood duck in the living room/fireplace! I'd install a cap w/ mesh....Just sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8961 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post