SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stupid minimum wage question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid minimum wage question Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Whenever possible, I prefer to leave cash tips.
If the service was good, I always tip in cash with the hope that the person will simply stick it in their pocket, and that will be the end of it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I usually just slip the cash in her g-string....whoops, wrong forum...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure how it works at Great Clips but they always put the cash tips in the cash drawer during the transaction along with my cash payment and don't seem to make any extra notice of who received it etc. So do the workers just divide the tips evenly? Didn't seem fair...

so I started waiting until the transaction is done and the register drawer is closed to hand them my tip... and then sometimes they quickly pocket it but some will go to the trouble of ringing up a no sale to reopen the cash drawer and put the tip in.

But then that doesn't seem fair to the other workers if one pockets some of her tips and the rest put all theirs in the pot for division.

What's a well intentioned tipster to do Roll Eyes

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
My 16 year old daughter is bussing tables (first job) at one of the nicer restaurants in town and gets minimum wage ($9.75) + 1% of tips. She averages right around $16.00 an hour. I can only imagine what the servers and bar tenders are making.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
CA servers get minimum wage plus tips. I wish tipping would go away. The customer shouldn't be forced to play middleman in a fair wage dispute between employer and employee.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5905 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Whenever possible, I prefer to leave cash tips.

That's what I do. I give it directly to the server.

Even when it's cash tip, they still turn it over. It's not like nobody will look. It does screw the honest people who won't steal from their coworkers.

What I did on one occasion when I ascertained they share tips, I confirmed with her that if I gave her a book then she doesn't have to share it, right? So I had a booklet with me, stuck a twenty in it as a bookmark and handed it to her. She was a server at Johnny Rockets, teen-ager but exceptionally good worker.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Certainly you guys must realize why some restaurants group tips and divide them up. There are usually other people involved in your service even if you don't see it. The hostesses, the busboys, the guy serving water, the guy helping to serve food...I think even the dishwashers at my wife's restaurant get a cut. Point being, it's not just your server involved in your service.

At least in the case of my wife's restaurant and her colleagues, I know that they all work to help each other get through the night because they all end up making more money when everyone does well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Certainly you guys must realize why some restaurants group tips and divide them up. There are usually other people involved in your service even if you don't see it. The hostesses, the busboys, the guy serving water, the guy helping to serve food...I think even the dishwashers at my wife's restaurant get a cut. Point being, it's not just your server involved in your service.

At least in the case of my wife's restaurant and her colleagues, I know that they all work to help each other get through the night because they all end up making more money when everyone does well.
All the more reason that tipping should just be eliminated and the business had to pay reasonable wages and directly charge the customers. The current tip system just makes generous patrons subsidize the meals of the cheap ones. (Think about it.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I have been in places where all tips are pooled and then evenly split. In a case like that I will try to slip the server their tip on the QT. I don't do not think that practice is either right or fair.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
I have been in places where all tips are pooled and then evenly split. In a case like that I will try to slip the server their tip on the QT. I don't do not think that practice is either right or fair.

And if the server is pocketing that money without pooling it with the others, then he or she is cheating someone else out of his money. It's theft, plain and simple.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Then you have industries like food delivery etc. The national pizza chain I deliver for pays minimum wage when you're in the store but when you checkout on the computer for a delivery you get paid $4.40/hour. 80-90% of the time you're on the road making $4.40. Additionally, we don't get the delivery charge. Basically, 90% of what we earn is tips.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3099 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post