SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stupid minimum wage question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid minimum wage question Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
Are people who are expected to receive tips - specifically, restaurant servers - allowed to be paid less than minimum wage?

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Yes, in most states

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In most states, yes. But I think some West coast municipalities may have changed their laws and brought those people up to the minimum wage, which defeats the purpose of tips.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Tipped employees are one of the specific exceptions to the federal minimum wage.
US Dept of Labor - Wage and Hour division
quote:
What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

An employer may pay a tipped employee not less than $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equal at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips.

If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions of each law which provide the greater benefits.

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4777 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
But I think some West coast municipalities may have changed their laws and brought those people up to the minimum wage, which defeats the purpose of tips.

I would submit that that returns tips to what they should be (a little something extra to show appreciation for exemplary service) rather than guilting you into paying their wages.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A discussion came up elsewhere in which the poster claimed his waitress daughter makes $3.57 an hour. So that part is true, but not the whole truth, as he failed to mention her tips.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yes, my wife probably only makes $2 or $3 an hour, but she makes $300-600 a night in tips depending on the night and time of year. She makes exceptionally good money as a server.

Heck, on New Year's eve, she once pulled in just under $1,000 in tips. One night!

She still gets paid by paycheck though including tips every two weeks, so it is all reported to the IRS. Bummer Razz

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Yes, my wife probably only makes $2 or $3 an hour, but she makes $300-600 a night in tips depending on the night and time of year. She makes exceptionally good money as a server.

Heck, on New Year's eve, she once pulled in just under $1,000 in tips. One night!

She still gets paid by paycheck though including tips every two weeks, so it is all reported to the IRS. Bummer Razz

Good waiters/waitresses/bartenders can make exceptionally good money, especially if it is above the amount they are expected to declare on their income tax form.

Posts: 8881 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

She has to turn over her cash tips?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

She has to turn over her cash tips?

All tips are supposed to be turned over, yes. That's the practice at her restaurant.

She has her regulars who visit Park City a few times a year or once a year and always request her for a server. They will sometimes slip her some money and say, "This is for the new baby; make sure you keep that" or something like that. But 95% of the time, all her tips are turned over.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
But I think some West coast municipalities may have changed their laws and brought those people up to the minimum wage, which defeats the purpose of tips.

I would submit that that returns tips to what they should be (a little something extra to show appreciation for exemplary service) rather than guilting you into paying their wages.

Yes I think that is probably more accurate than my statement.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I agree with this 100%. And it's infrequent that I'll say those areas do something right. My wife is from NZ. There, nobody tips, ever (excepting American or Canadian tourists who don't generally know better.) Servers, hairdressers, etc do their jobs because it's the right thing to do, not because they're hoping for a tip.

Posts: 501 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever possible, I prefer to leave cash tips.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yes in KS when i waited tables in college it was something like 2.25$ an hour + tips. Tips were turned over and recorded and if you did not meet minimum wage they would then make your paycheck based on minimum wage and not tips. So you get the higher of the two.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Big debate in Minneapolis, which is doing everything it can to give the Left Coast a run for their money.

City is trying to pass a $15 minimum wage and INCLUDE tipped servers in that. Restaurant owners are losing their minds (rightly so), and it saddens me to watch this once great city turn to shit.

http://m.startribune.com/minne...ordinance/426781661/

Hell, even the city's former mayor is questioning the decision.

http://m.startribune.com/minne...ip-credit/427551223/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

That's what I do. I give it directly to the server.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I seldom tip.
But I gift a lot of people I meet when I am dining and other such things...

(That's a tip, tip...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44461 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

That's what I do. I give it directly to the server.

I try to do this as well. Sometimes I don't have the cash on me though...

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CA servers get minimum wage plus tips. I wish tipping would go away. The customer shouldn't be forced to play middleman in a fair wage dispute between employer and employee.

Posts: 4322 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post