SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone tricks you never knew about
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone tricks you never knew about Login/Join 
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
yeah, up to 558 ads blocked in about a minute. Nope. I know these sites need cash to operate, but holy cow, I can't remember the time I clicked on an ad on a web page.

Up to 630 now

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Besides frequently mistyping on the very small keyboard, it's hard for me to position the cursor with my finger when my finger is in the way. The space bar sliding cursor trick will be very useful.

Thanks for posting, Pipe Smoker and lkdr1989.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Try the type by dragging your finger from letter to letter function. Once you get the hang of it, it is VERY intuitive and fast. I get less spelling errors than with finger tapping.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
How to unlock your iPhone with voice command while wearing a virus face mask. I haven’t tried it…

* Voice Control must be enabled for the trick to work
* Navigate to Settings, Accessibility, and then Voice Control
* After selecting Customize Commands, they name the verbal command, then record an action — in this case, typing in a PIN code on the keypad
* Speaking the command should make the phone type in the PIN itself and unlock 

https://mol.im/a/8546307

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Just1tym, THANK YOU!

I never knew that.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Just1tym, THANK YOU!

I never knew that.

You're welcome! I wasn't even aware of it myself until last year when browsing Youtube videos. Pipe Smokers info in this thread is very helpful to all.

Also don't know if it's worth mentioning because many most likely already know this but typing on a MacBook if you want to display the degree symbol º you can do so by holding the option key and just hit the number zero to display it. I saw the feature from Pipe Smokers iPhone tips and thought I toss this for the Macs out.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. Thanks !

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Thanks.

I found a few that were useful.

I got a new iphone XR about 6 months ago and the screen wouldn't show battery percentage. When I went back in the tech showed me how to just touch on the battery symbol, drag it down, and that's how I learned of that helpful screen, many things in one place just from a swipe.

It has no home button, it's still awkward trying to swipe up to close windows.

That is a good one to point out Gene as a shortcut to useful things. It’s called the “Control Center” and if you go to Settings>Control Center>Customize Controls, you can actually add or remove shortcuts from the ones available that will show up in that pull down menu. So if you never use HomeKit you can flick it off in the settings and it won’t show up, but maybe you’d love the flashlight feature in that pull down you can add it. It’s easy peasy to add, remove and rearrange them and keep in mind you aren’t deleting anything, just making the shortcuts you care about visible or not.

Also having airplane mode and WiFi right there are probably the most useful. Just touching the button one time will turn them off and another touch will turn them back on. In the case of the WiFi, it comes in handy if the phone is having a brain fart trying to connect to your network and it’s like it can’t see them, a quick off and on will sometimes clear it’s cobwebs. Same with airplane mode. It’s the easy way to make the phone ready for a flight, but turning it off and back on basically reconnects the WiFi connection AND the phone radio connection. So again when the phone is acting silly sometimes with calls, not connecting solidly to a tower, or just having shitty call quality, quickly cycling that feature forces it to reestablish a connection to a nearby tower and that can make all the difference when having phone all related issues. Best of all it takes 2-3 seconds from that pull down.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
But how to prevent nosy parents from knowing where I am, that would be good information.

As I told both of my sons, I bought the phone. I pay for the service. It is mine and I let you use it for my convenience. You damn well better answer it when I call or text. If you don't, it will no longer be convenient for me to keep paying for it.

As far as the tracking app, it is my phone, I want to know where it is all the time.

They are free to pony up a grand for their own phone and the monthly service fee to make it work and the above rules will be null and void.

Of course, if you want to live in my house, you need to let me know where you are going and when you will be home. I maintain the right to veto both of those agenda items. If you don't like the rules, I am happy to provide apartment listings that don't come with those rules.

Being a dependent means you forgo some rights and freedoms.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Here's the PDF version I just edited with no Ads.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AoFYAlaqOa...Dx-0GsWoSV_?e=nDsJhQ

I am not an expert on Apple or Microsoft. I found it funny that you used a Microsoft product to clean up an article about iPhone tricks.
Not to cause a drift but how did you do it?

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I copied the whole article into a Word document, then deleted all the Ads, then saved it as a PDF. Used One Drive to host PDF because it doesn't cost me anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:
quote:
Here's the PDF version I just edited with no Ads.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AoFYAlaqOa...Dx-0GsWoSV_?e=nDsJhQ

I am not an expert on Apple or Microsoft. I found it funny that you used a Microsoft product to clean up an article about iPhone tricks.
Not to cause a drift but how did you do it?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I copied the whole article into a Word document, then deleted all the Ads, then saved it as a PDF. Used One Drive to host PDF because it doesn't cost me anything.

Awesome thanks!

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post