SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying first class?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying first class? Login/Join 
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
I swore when we paid the house off and we were completely debt free I was going to start flying first class and we did just that. We reached a point where aquiring more stuff just doesn't appeal to us that much. We'd rather indulge on the experiences. First class seats, ocean front room, high end steak house, etc.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm taking Southwest for short hops to matches (because I'm flying with squadmates), I'll usually fly Business or First class...depending on what the flight offers.

My introduction to First Class was flying to and from the PRC to adopt my daughter. I can't imagine being on a flight for 14 hours in cattle class

Any flight over 4 hours means clicking on the First Class tab. Not only are the seats nicer, but check-in and TSA go much smoother.

I want to try Jet Blue Mint

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get to fly Business Class on flights over 10 hours and I travel enough to be high status on United for more than a decade. On domestic flights I usually get complimentary upgrades, but sometimes I use upgrade points. International fights less than 10 hours I use upgrade points. If necessary I can burn miles for upgrades (over 1.7M to spend).

So I rarely fly coach except on single cabin planes, or local flights in other countries that I can't upgrade.

Paying for it myself? Never had to except once or twice when I was short of qualifying points and needed to get over the top for next year's status.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was upgraded to 1st Class by the agent at the waiting area desk. No charge. I was so excited but then I remembered it was only a 37 minute flight. Lol.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've always felt that business class was the minimum where they treat you as a person.

Best I've done was business class and that was on the company's dime. My wife accompanied me on a business trip and somehow she got first class tickets for the price of business or not much more.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
For those who keep mentioning business class... is that a thing on domestic flights anymore? I don't think I've ever seen that on a single deck widebody.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If I ever fly more than a couple hours that Delta One class sure looks tempting.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
For those who keep mentioning business class... is that a thing on domestic flights anymore? I don't think I've ever seen that on a single deck widebody.

-Rob

Interesting question. Yes and no. It's kind of weird with some long haul equipment being/having been used domestically during covid, particularly if they have 3 or more cabins of service.

I flew MCO-OGG last year. The DFW-OGG leg was on a 787. I was upgraded round trip and got to experience the First/Business class cabin of the 787, which I'm pretty sure they dubbed as "business". Were it a 757 or 321, it would have been "first". Call it what you want, lay flat seats are the shit.

Most of what I fly these days is upgraded to First/Business based on status and it helps...A LOT.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I rarely fly anymore, but when I do it's got to be first class. At my age & girth comfort is very important to me.

I use a credit card for general purposes that yields airline miles so it's no skin off my nose to use up the points. I always have more than I need to pay for it.

Side benefit is when my wife needs to fly she'll do so with one of her daughters. I'll pay for their ticket as well because she needs the help. It's a win-win for all involved.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
When I was working, I flew so much that I was almost always upgraded to first. Mainly Delta and NWA. I tried to avoid the stingy airlines, United and American as they rarely upgraded me.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I always fly First Class when I'm flying for pleasure, around 6 times a year or so, probably 8 this year.

It's very nice up there, tablecloths, real metal silverware, glass for your drinks, much better food than coach, and to partly compensate for your costs, free booze.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Years ago Alaska offered discounted First Class pricing at the gate if the seats had not sold. I remember one time they were offered at a price (cant remember) then later offered even lower as nobody was biting.

So one year, a Red Eye from Hawaii to San Diego, I took the available first class seat. I accepted the free drink, free movie player and was watching the movie when I realized I was the only one awake. Everyone else was sleeping, not taking advantage of the perks. Eventually I fell asleep and when I woke up the Attendant's were no where around for me to ask for some more free perks.

My advice is don't do First Class on a Red Eye flight Smile

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
My advice is don't do First Class on a Red Eye flight

I had a wonderful and gorgeous view sitting in the nose of a 747 from DC to San Francisco. Fell asleep. Lol

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Years ago Alaska offered discounted First Class pricing at the gate if the seats had not sold. I remember one time they were offered at a price (cant remember) then later offered even lower as nobody was biting.

So one year, a Red Eye from Hawaii to San Diego, I took the available first class seat. I accepted the free drink, free movie player and was watching the movie when I realized I was the only one awake. Everyone else was sleeping, not taking advantage of the perks. Eventually I fell asleep and when I woke up the Attendant's were no where around for me to ask for some more free perks.

My advice is don't do First Class on a Red Eye flight Smile

They go up in the kitchen area just behind the cockpit and sit around and BS at night.

All you've got to do is go up there and ask for anything they have and they'll give it to you. Walk in slowly though, as they think everyone's asleep and if you go in fast it kind of spooks them.

I don't sleep on airplanes, don't know why as I love to fly but there's just something about it, the constant background drone of engines or something. I do watch movies and read books on my Kindle app though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I fly first class. The first class seating on JetBlue lie flat and good for sleeping. Definitely much more comfortable than Cattle Class. Anyway, in the past we have purchased the extra seats in Cattle Class. Now that may be a lot cheaper than First Class, it is still not as comfortable.

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
When you get really serious, you start flying private… Haven’t been on a commercial airplane in four years.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sclass:
I swore when we paid the house off and we were completely debt free I was going to start flying first class and we did just that. We reached a point where aquiring more stuff just doesn't appeal to us that much. We'd rather indulge on the experiences. First class seats, ocean front room, high end steak house, etc.

Exactly what we are doing. Good for you.

posted Hide Post
We started paying for first (sometimes called business) class when the covid travel bans ended.

Our world travels kicked into high gear in 2017 after 1) I retired and 2) we could make withdrawals from the RIA. We began flying coach, a couple years later we upgraded to premium economy. During covid we lost almost two years of traveling but saved a fistful of dollars. We now pay more to sit up near the pointy end.

We're up front from the first reservation, no last-minute possible upgrades for us or one of us. We've got lots of United miles, we use them for free flights. In first.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've flown first class only twice in my life.

First time I was a lowly E3 coming home from W. Germany for the holidays, tried to catch a (free to me) aircraft outta Frankfurt, but kept getting booted to the next flight (single guy, no emergency, etc) until after a day of losing leave time I caught a flight on my dime. I got a bulkhead seat in coach (I'm 6'5", so that's very relevant) and nobody beside me. Fell asleep and an hour later was awakened by a flight attendant. She said there was a mother and child in the back and they were separated and the child was upset, asked if I'd be willing to swap with them. I agreed, and was led to the back to my new seat-in the middle of a couple obese folks and zero leg room. I just accepted the new seat anyhow, and settled in. About an hour later, the same lady came and asked me to please follow her. I was perplexed but obediently followed, and she led me up to first class, where she explained that she always asks servicemen to swap seats when needed, because they are usually pleasant about it. But she'd seen my discomfort, and spoke to the lead attendant. They agreed to reward me with the seat in first class. They then proceeded to bring me drinks and food until I had to almost literally beg them to stop. Still a great memory.

Second time, I went to Saskatchewan to deer hunt with a buddy, and he'd already booked 1st class, so I followed suit (very reluctantly). We had great service, as I recall, and the flight was much better than my usual experiences.

Other than those times, I always fly coach, usually begging the gate attendant for consideration on an exit row or bulkhead to help with the 36" inseam. Just too tough to pay 3-4x as much to get to the same place.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I did consulting for 3+ years, 2008 - 2011, usually about 48 weeks per year. Flew out Monday morning and flew back on Thursday evening. After about 6 weeks I started getting upgraded to first class. After 8 months or so I was upgraded pretty much every flight. When you travel that much it really does make it much better.

I got a different job when we had our first kid and I lost my status the next year. I only fly about once or twice per year now. I do miss the upgrades, but I enjoy going to my kids practices and other events much more than the upgrades!

I enjoyed the time I traveled, but I wouldn't go back. Whenever we fly it's 4 of us now, no way I could splurge for 4 first class seats!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post