SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying first class?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying first class? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The first class section's rarely empty, and a lot of the earlier posters clearly see enough value for the added cost, so there's definitely a market.

But, no, it's never made sense for me to throw that kind of money for something that is over so quickly. Spent too much time doing financials to ignore numbers. I have paid (and will continue to pay) a bit to upgrade for a bit more legroom. And, yes, when I was traveling internationally on business, I was happy to get business class and that made the intercontinental flights manageable. But that was per the various companies' standard policies.

Thought experiment: Think of paying yourself a big hourly rate for the few hours spent in less-than-spacious quarters and paying cash for those few drinks you can actually enjoy during the duration of the flight. Couple hours saves you what might be a couple thousand in fare differential...fairly good pay and you don't even raise a blister! Smile

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
First class isn’t about the meals or drinks. You can get those on your own which is far better for far less.

It’s just a tier up on the hierarchy.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
The first class section's rarely empty, and a lot of the earlier posters clearly see enough value for the added cost, so there's definitely a market.

In my experience, it's unusual for there to be a seat open in first class because they are upgrading their frequent flyers. If there is an open seat when you board it might mean that they had a no-show or that person hasn't boarded yet. I'm guessing that only a small % of the first class seats relate to folks that paid an added cost.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
First class isn’t about the meals or drinks. You can get those on your own which is far better for far less.

I get what you're saying but I think it's actually more about the seat. There is more leg room, seats is bigger and generally more comfortable.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:

...I get what you're saying but I think it's actually more about the seat. There is more leg room, seats is bigger and generally more comfortable.

Don't forget much shorter lines for the toilet. There's also better chow and free drinks.

Boarding early isn't a huge deal, being first off IS when you have a short connection.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
STRAIGHT TALK:

I’m sure the pilots who work for major airlines here can chime in with more knowledge.

But as a business traveler for 20+ years, the people that sit in first class usually are not on vacation. (If they are, they’re using miles.)

The rest of the people up there are business travelers, and used to pay for most of the revenue to fuel the jet.

These people pay the most for airfair because it’s typically last minute with no advanced notice, and they are also loyalty program members so that they can always sit up front. You have to manage your clients/company’s money.

First class is no longer first class and has not been for over a decade. Pre-9/11 every time I boarded a United flight, I was handed (by the nice greeting flight attendant) a nice bottle of red wine wrapped in a white linen cloth. Meals were 3 to 5 courses. In those days they took care of their highest revenue clients.

I’m 6’2” and need legroom. In coach, my knees are in your back. Yes bathroom in first class has a shorter line, but also a much shorter ceiling and it’s just as dirty as the one in the back.

First class doesn’t even meet what used to be coach standards. Since Covid bs, private charter is all I will consider.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you get really serious, you start flying private… Haven’t been on a commercial airplane in four years.

Amen.

It can actually pencil in a variety of ways if you look into it seriously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, but really it's for arriving at your destination rested and not completely worn down, particularly for business travelers who must fly often.

When I return to my ship, I have to take a red eye flight leaving around midnight from my home and landing in Philadelphia around 9-10am. I then go straight to the ship and start a whole work day. If it weren't for first class, I'd be dragging serious ass come the end of crew change day. I'm still worn out from traveling, but at least I can get some decent rest in-flight.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Korea 1970 bought my ticket at Kimpo Air Force Base for PCS flight back to the states / Seattle (Sea-Tac)/ Denver / Houston / New Orleans / Baton Rouge.. Soldier behind me in line was taking same flight but paid full fare price ticket...Wensday (day of week) and I bought Military Stand-by for 1/3 price of full fare ticket.. Tried to covnince him to go the cheaper flight but he wanted nothing to with the stand-by flight....... Almost bumped off in Denver and Houston... But we sat beside each other the entire flight to New Orleans... Several more stand-by flights over the years and never bumped off.... Guess I got lucky.. ........................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
When you get really serious, you start flying private… Haven’t been on a commercial airplane in four years.

Amen.

Please share your secrets! I’d gladly fly GA if I could figure out how to spend less than $$$$ doing it!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:

Amen.

Please share your secrets! I’d gladly fly GA if I could figure out how to spend less than $$$$ doing it!

-Rob

Highly depends on your needs.

I used to manage several fractional ownership aircraft. Everything from a Cessna 206 to a small citation, with several 414's, a cheyanne, and even a couple of king airs in between. Some were single owners who flew themselves, others were owned by multiple companies and hired pilots to fly them. That's just in the ownership path.

You can also charter. I often charter flights for my work, they have more capable pilots and equipment than I do. Unless I'm doing business in a major airline hub or regional feeder city...it easily pencils for me to charter a plane and pilot to fly direct to where I need to go, and back. But I live and work in Alaska, so you have different options where you live for sure.

Locally I can charter a 206, or a 10 pax piston twin, or a beaver on floats. One of those can usually meet my needs and fit in my budget. I also have the option of renting the 206, or a 182 (which is never available when I need it) and just flying myself.

One of these days I'm hoping my company can foot the bill for a decent TBM. I keep looking for the right partners, but haven't found one yet.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I haven't flown much in recent years, and when I did it was relatively short flights. Like from Dallas to Chicago. Never even considered fist class for a 2~hour flight. (I'm cheap) My wife and did fly to Hawaii a few years back and the upgrade to first class was ridiculously high. Like twice as much as coach and this was on one of the smaller planes (can't remember which one) but the first class was more like coach with friendlier attendants extra goodies to eat and drink and just a small amount of extra space. Nope, couldn't do it.

I flew a great deal with my corporate job, and the company wasn't springing for first class, it would have cost me a fortune to upgrade all of those flights out of my pocket. Did I mention I'm cheap.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neverfollow
posted Hide Post
When the family flies (as a group) we typical go from NC to CA, we go coach. Whens its just wife and I we fly Business Class (she has 'hip problems' and the more comfortable seats are a blessing). For work, domestic is coach or coach plus (more leg room). Overseas is Business Class.

For me, any flight more than 5 hours is Business Class worthy UNLESS I can get an exit row. I travel monthly and have enough status to upgrade ~50% of the time.

Regardless, hate flying, hate the airport - and most people in general, so travel has lost all its fun.

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've noticed in recent years (just before china-flu) more organizations refusing to re-imburse more than the cheapest coach fare. I have a contract with the State of Alaska that states we cannot charge them more than the cost of the cheapest coach fare in our travel expenses around the state for the contract. My wife/business partner and I had to attend a conference for our professional organization (She was the chapter president at the time) in Denver. I booked our flights first class, and the Chicago headquarters refused to reimburse the expense. I sent them a copy of the quote for coach travel we had received from their travel agent prior to the trip, which was a couple hundred more, and said they were welcome to reimburse that amount instead... long story short, we didn't get reimbursed at all, and amazingly they were shocked when we refused to attend the following year.

I think it really started when Obummer Hussain made a big stink about private aviation years back. It's since been politically incorrect to travel anything but cattle class on airlines.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my agency has a specific written policy that when travelling for work on the agency dime, you can only fly coach.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rarely fly. I remember videos from the 50's and 60's the men wore a suit
and tie, the women wore dresses and sometimes white gloves. The last time I
flew several years ago a few people got on wearing their pajamas. Sheese!!

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I rarely fly. I remember videos from the 50's and 60's the men wore a suit
and tie, the women wore dresses and sometimes white gloves. The last time I
flew several years ago a few people got on wearing their pajamas. Sheese!!

It’s worthy of noting that in the 50s/60s you didn’t have discount seating. You needed money to fly. Now with tiny seats an shit airlines your gonna get the Walmart crowd. Same for cruises. They were once expensive and elegant. Now they’re a carnival.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Question for those of you that have flown first class; what is the difference between first class and business class, particularly on trans-Atlantic flights or longer?

We generally fly coach when the trip is 4 hours or less and business class when longer. I have never flown first class and have a hard time imagining it can be more than the bed, Champaign and “decent” meals we get in BC.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I was trying to figure out the business class versus club first class also. It seems to depend on the airline and the plane. For example, I am flying to Mexico business class and coming home business class with a connection in first class. Both flights are on the same type of plane with the same seats. The only difference apparently is the service level. However, some first class flights have the full lay down seats. Mine does not.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Question for those of you that have flown first class; what is the difference between first class and business class, particularly on trans-Atlantic flights or longer?

We generally fly coach when the trip is 4 hours or less and business class when longer. I have never flown first class and have a hard time imagining it can be more than the bed, Champaign and “decent” meals we get in BC.

Depends usually on the equipment and the company.

Domestic flights are generally at best two cabin airplanes so business class and first class are essentially the same. Equipment like 737/757

When you fly internationally, you have the option for larger planes with more classes i.e. first class, separate business class, and then coach. Think 747/767/777 etc.

The benefits in each upclass are usually extra room, reclining ability, free entertainment and service.

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
Sometimes we see that an OP starts a thread then is called out 'cause he seems to have gone the way of the wind.

Not here, I'm the OP and I have read every response and all I can say is "Boy, was I wrong!"

I had no idea so many of the members here do the First Class thingy either by paying or upgrading in one way or another.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post