SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VA senate remains dem
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VA senate remains dem Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Looks like we’re stuck with all the California wannabe laws passed before we took the house and governor’s mansion. Mad

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As always, northern Virginia population density ruins it for the rest of the state. Sad that the galvanizing battle cry for the leftist trash was the “right” to keep murdering unborn children.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Abortion is a losing issue for Republicans. It doesn't resonate with voters and it's a privacy issue that people want to decide on their own terms.

Joe is going to win in November so long as banning abortion is a Republican theme.

Posts: 4086 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Nailed it.

Stay the fuck out of women's bodies, and stay the fuck out of the bedroom. Americans are a freedom loving people, a privacy loving people, and a personal decision people. Why Republicans think that legislating bodily autonomy is a good idea completely escapes me.

It's an election loser, so if you want the power to set the financial agenda, immigration agenda, regulatory agenda, gun agenda, and court composition, run on those issues, not a guaranteed loser!

On this board, most of us are conservative. We espouse a theory of government that stresses a limited government, of constitutionally limited powers, doing the minimum necessary to maintain a society of ordered liberty, and to secure the nation and it's people.

In no case do we advocate for government to enforce our preferred beliefs on others; rather we support a "live and let live" philosophy of individual rights and responsibilities.

Furthermore, most of us objected to Roe v. Wade, not because it authorized abortion per se, but rather because it was a terribly reasoned decision that found purported "rights" in the Constitution that are not enumerated, and it arrogated to the courts an authority that the Constitution does not grant.

We resent the oppression when the left uses government to impose it's moral preferences on us. We should be consistent in recognizing that the same principle applies when we try to use government to impose our preferred moral solution on others.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Abortion and gun control are the same.

Government trying legislative answers to social/moral problems. It doesn't work.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Even worse news: DEMs will take control of the VA House of Delegates

Posts: 19605 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
As always, northern Virginia population density ruins it for the rest of the state.

Yep.

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The “Big Night” narrative in Virginia was that voters somehow “rebuked” Governor Glenn Younkin by failing to elect more Republicans, but the fact is, Virginia Republicans probably did as well as they could have hoped in the endless ocean of liberalism that is Virginia. The rebuke happened two years ago, when Younkin was elected along with new Republican gains in the state house, as voters’ pandemic message to woke school board policies, lockdowns, and mandates.

You could say Republicans failed to take advantage of voter’s frustrations, and I’d agree. Establishment Media is framing yesterday’s results as a referendum on abortion.

The ‘abortion’ narrative came together because Ohio voters roundly approved a pro-abortion constitutional amendment, Lord forgive them, and because democrats in various states never shut up about abortion during the campaigns. Democratic political consultant Ben Tribbett told the Wall Street Journal’s reporter, “This was an election about choice.”

Choice? The reporter didn’t ask Mr. Tribbett his position on choice about vaccine mandates.

Les McCorkle of Williamsburg, 61, a self-described ‘independent voter’ who votes for democrats without thinking, ignorantly said abortion access was his top issue. Even though he can’t get one. You know, just in case. “It should be a woman’s right. It’s her body,” gushed McCorkle.

One suspects that two years ago, Mr. McCorkle thought unvaccinated women should be herded into wood chippers.

Republicans failed to properly deploy democrats’ heinous history on vaccine mandates whenever against abortion rights arguments. I’m dumbfounded that Republicans let democrats get away with all their insincere “right to choose” nonsense. What are Republicans afraid of? The tide has turned against jab mandates. People hate the jabs now; fewer than 3% bought into the boosters despite the CDC retooling itself into the world’s largest pharmaceutical marketing firm.

If the ‘abortion issue’ proves anything, it’s that Republicans must overcome their irrational fear about criticizing the CDC’s magic snake oil, and jam coercive vaccine and mask mandates down democrat throats whenever they start hypocritically chirping about bodily integrity. The vaccines didn’t work! The mandates were for nothing!

Even though last night’s election results weren’t particularly surprising, it still feels like a wasted opportunity.

https://www.coffeeandcovid.com...ack&utm_medium=email

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24176 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Count me among those who are disappointed (to put it mildly) with the results of yesterday's VA elections. The "save the schools" theme that Youngkin rode to victory two years ago seems to have faded in importance with on-the-fence voters. In my precinct, the RVA failed to even have a candidate for several positions. I can understand someone not wanting to run for office on the assumption that they have no chance, but it certainly makes the party look weak to not be able to field a full slate. The RVA's strategy of emphasizing the results of lenient handling of criminals also failed to gain traction (I think because most VA citizens still feel fairly safe in their daily lives). So the Deathocrats (death to unborn babies, death to Israel, death to Christians, death to the disarmed) appear to have taken this one on the back of Govt.-funded abortions, this being the most emphasized position in the campaigns (along with nonsensical anti-2A posturing).

Posts: 6510 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

In no case do we advocate for government to enforce our preferred beliefs on others; rather we support a "live and let live" philosophy of individual rights and responsibilities.

Furthermore, most of us objected to Roe v. Wade, not because it authorized abortion per se, but rather because it was a terribly reasoned decision that found purported "rights" in the Constitution that are not enumerated, and it arrogated to the courts an authority that the Constitution does not grant.

We resent the oppression when the left uses government to impose it's moral preferences on us. We should be consistent in recognizing that the same principle applies when we try to use government to impose our preferred moral solution on others.

ArtieS: I agree... and disagree.
I especially agree with your reasoning on overturning Roe v. Wade, on federalism grounds. They Supreme Court has no right taking that away from the States.

Now... it's still a divisive issue, but it's fought state x state, as it should be.

However, when you get down to it ALL laws "impose our preferred moral solution on others".
If you support a "live and let live" philosophy of individual rights and responsibilities... whose responsibility is it to support the individual rights of the baby?

As Ronald Reagan used to say: Everyone who supports abortion has already been born.

I agree that when it's couched in terms of freedom it's a losing issue politically. But these are the same hypocrites who care so much about medical freedom that they want you to be forced to inject something into your body.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24176 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I will never compromise on an issue which holds such profound implications as the murder of children. Anyone who wishes to bend to the sick people in our society who callously use abortion as a means of birth control; who now dance and sing on social media to celebrate these horrific, cold-blooded murders of the only truly innocent humans- you are compromising your humanity. Don't speak to me of political gains and losses. It's shameful.

It makes me want to go biblical on these sociopaths who create life and then toss it away like it's an inconvenience: An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. A life for a life.

Much of this world is a big gray area; no easy answers to most questions, or multiple answers to most questions. But, also in this world, there are some things which are either right, or wrong, with no middle ground, no moral ambiguity. Terminating innocent human life with no valid medical reason is one of these things, and when you start compromising your humanity, you lose your humanity.

Those who support abortion constantly speak of a woman's rights, but what they miss or ignore is that infant growing inside them has its own rights, and when they kill it, they are murderers. I realize they will never admit this, but it is true, regardless of their horrid selfishness.

"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" - Matthew 16:26

Posts: 107732 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Fuck me, I didn’t see the house results. As long as Youngkin doesn’t go squishy, no new gun control laws for a couple more years at least.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I will never compromise on an issue which holds such profound implications as the murder of children. Anyone who wishes to bend to the sick people in our society who callously use abortion as a means of birth control; who now dance and sing on social media to celebrate these horrific, cold-blooded murders of the only truly innocent humans- you are compromising your humanity. Don't speak to me of political gains and losses. It's shameful.

It makes me want to go biblical on these sociopaths who create life and then toss it away like it's an inconvenience: An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. A life for a life.

Much of this world is a big gray area; no easy answers to most questions, or multiple answers to most questions. But, also in this world, there are some things which are either right, or wrong, with no middle ground, no moral ambiguity. Terminating innocent human life with no valid medical reason is one of these things, and when you start compromising your humanity, you lose your humanity.

Those who support abortion constantly speak of a woman's rights, but what they miss or ignore is that infant growing inside them has its own rights, and when they kill it, they are murderers. I realize they will never admit this, but it is true, regardless of their horrid selfishness.

"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" - Matthew 16:26

If you throw Hail Marys all game long, it's not a game winning strategy. I don't know how this isn't being seen by people.

It's the same as Democrats openly stating that gun control is one of their top tier issues.

Abortion, LBGTQ rights and gun control are way, way down on the list of important things. Economy and security concern people for than anything else.

They might as well as call themselves the Pro Life party with side issue platforms. Being pro life has accomplished jack shit in prior elections. This is true over and over and over.

Posts: 4086 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't give a fuck what you think.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's we're such a great couple - we get each other.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
If you didn't care what I think, you wouldn't be trying to sway me. You cool your fucking jets or I'll cool them for you. I didn't ask for your fucking commentary and you will mind your own fucking business.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
At the heart of this is the simple "fact" that a woman has the right to choose what she does with her body. That's a fucking bumper sticker, no more. It's a witless defense for the simple minded and easily led. Using it is an admission you have no real argument based on logic or morality. End of discussion.

On the other hand, it wasn't that long ago that yelling fire in a crowded theater was something all could agree on.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It kills me when people say abortion and the gun issue is one in the same. They are nothing alike. One is used as a means to control the population, so when they have nothing to defend themselves with, they cannot fight back. Without the 2nd amendment, we will have no other rights.

We have tons of laws on the books to deter gun crimes but our liberal overlords don't want to punish the guilty because they are the ones/or their family, that keep them in power by voting for them.

We have a sick society when we allow a baby to be killed for convenience, as most abortions are. It is just another form of birth control and those without any morals, say it is not life and is something else. What kind of sick thinking is this? We will be judged one day and I prefer to be on the side of right, whether we lose or not. Killing/destroying for convenience is a beginning to an end.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
The election outcomes in Virginia are unfortunate. The Republican Party in Virginia has been a weak political force for years. In the wake of the 2019 elections, I left Virginia in 2020 when it was clear the largely Democratic population centers of the Commonwealth would dominate elections for the foreseeable future--and with it eventually increase taxes and impose progressive policies on its citizens. Youngkin may serve as a bulwark until the next election.

Posts: 168 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
If you didn't care what I think, you wouldn't be trying to sway me. You cool your fucking jets or I'll cool them for you. I didn't ask for your fucking commentary and you will mind your own fucking business.

I'm not trying to sway you or change your deeply held beliefs. I'm reading the news like everyone else and seeing that in this economy, with our dolt president, Republicans should be winning with ease and they aren't.

The polls point to one issue that causes these losses and if the Republicans stick with it next year in the same way, it might not turn out well.

Boot me or put me on a timeout but the undeniable truth is when the Republican's are laser focused on a single outcome to a social and moral issue, it pushes voters the other way. It's a problem the Republicans haven't figured out time and time again.