SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mowing - Stipes or laps?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mowing - Stipes or laps? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Doing the yard over the weekend & seeing some of the neighbors as well.
What's your mowing method & any reason to it?

Question:
Mowing Direction

Choices:
Laps
Stripes
Other - Explain

Question:
Cut grass goes where?

Choices:
Mulch
Bag
Side eject
Other - Explain

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16011 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Don’t bag your clippings. Go over it a second time if you have to. Side discharge is as good as mulching.

Stripes looks like you care. Laps offer nothing in terms of time saving especially if you discharge into the middle.

A customer sent me a picture of his lawn. He inadvertently got the neighbor’s lawn (to the right) in the photo. I fertilize both with the same product and rate at the same time. The neighbor to the right hired me because she wants her lawn to look like his. But she bags her clippings. She basically undoes everything I do and she won’t change.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
When I had a lawn I would mow it in stripes and then mow it perpendicular the next week. I didn’t mow in the same direction on consecutive weeks.

Posts: 53844 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My yard is in three sections, and none of them is rectangular, or geometrically straight in any way. I also don't have a zero-turn. I make laps, and discharge out the side. Bagging would take forever. I have a job and a bunch of kids....ain't got time for that. I don't fertilize or use weed killer or anything, either. It's probably 50% crabgrass and dandelions. As long as it's short and not breeding bugs, I'm happy.

It's supposed to be in the 90s all week, with no rain. The whole yard is gonna be dead by Saturday. At least I won't have to mow.

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I chose other. Most times stripes occasionally laps and try to do diagonally to previous cut. Always mulch.

Posts: 270 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starting in the center of the yard.
First stripe right down the middle.

you turn 90 degrees left coming back

Now at the end another 90 but !
To the right of your first path.

Right always goes to the North,

Left always goes south.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zamboni

Posts: 1085 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, both.

Stripes in the open front yard. Laps in the fenced-in back.

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
mow it in stripes and then mow it perpendicular the next week.

That's what I do, at least in the front.

Posts: 33101 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Don’t bag your clippings. Go over it a second time if you have to. Side discharge is as good as mulching.

And the second cut in an angled or 90 degree crosscut is what I do. My yard is a little bumpy and it really smooths out the look. If you have a heavy mower, it's also good to not run in the same tracks over and over.
Try to mow only when it's dry.

Posts: 7489 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I use both a zero turn and riding mower, both side discharge. I occasionally use the bagger on the rider for heavy, thick grass/weeds that sometime grow fast with lots of rain in Spring, as well as Fall for leaf pick-up. Bagger's off most of the time though.
The ZTR mows the larger areas, I alternate each mowing using straight rows front to back, side to side, and diagonal. No striping roller.
I generally run the rider around the perimeter then increasingly smaller laps discharging out.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Stripes, North to South, alternating every other Stripe. Next cutting 45° SE to NW, following cutting 45° NE to SW. Then start over next time. For reference, the street runs exactly North/South. Can't cut East to West due to the drainage ditch running along the street.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7291 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No rain here since February. At least I don’t have to mow.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Each week I change it up, stripes across, stripes up & down, diagonal, diagonal the other way & every once in a while, I'll do thecircles. I bag most of the time, but will mulch once a month or so.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1223 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
NASCAR style

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run around the yard, don't care, just get it done.

Posts: 387 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do the first two laps blowing the clippings inward so they don’t go on the street or driveway. Then one week I do horizontal and the next week vertical.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
shrinking square if that's a method?

i do the perimeter in two laps with the clippings blowing into my property then I reverse and do ever shrinking squares to get to the middle.

I just need it cut. not looking for fancy lines. lol

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8169 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a company that cuts the yard two different direction each time they cut. The pattern changes from week to week and it is well done. It is really nice when it is finished. One pattern is a zig zag and looks good.

We have over 3 acres of grass right down to the Potomac River and a 48 zone sprinkler system to help keep the grass greener.

Posts: 584 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Stripes looks like you care. Laps offer nothing in terms of time saving especially if you discharge into the middle.

A customer sent me a picture of his lawn. He inadvertently got the neighbor’s lawn (to the right) in the photo. I fertilize both with the same product and rate at the same time. The neighbor to the right hired me because she wants her lawn to look like his. But she bags her clippings. She basically undoes everything I do and she won’t change.

Do you dethatch it in the fall?

Posts: 5795 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
No rain here since February. At least I don’t have to mow.

My God how does it support life at all?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post