SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooling towels???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooling towels??? Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted
Anyone use these things:

Cooling towel

I have lived in the mountain west, had a swamp-cooler (evaporate cooler) in my home, so I understand the basic principal... I don't however, understand reviews from the hot and humid south, stating these towels work great there? Maybe it's relative, and in AZ they would perform a lot better/actually work at evaporative cooling?

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
We use them all the time on my son's baseball team. They get in the dugout, they get a cooling towel. It makes a huge difference.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6900 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've used something that looks like a handkerchief that you wet and squeeze dry. Then loosely wrap around your neck.

Pretty comfortable while hiking. I think it's some synthetic wicking type of material.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13113 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I routinely use the Frog Toggs version. Feels kind of like a cool chamois.
s.

Posts: 304 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
We recommend them for our archery team when they shoot outdoor tournaments.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11888 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
They work very well.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
The concept is it is putting a cooler item against your neck where major veins and arteries are. Cool the core, cool the body. Can get same result with cool/cold bottle/can placed behind knee/elbow or at wrists. They will work in the south. A better one might swell up with water absorber in it. That holds the cooler temp longer.

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
OK, Yeah. I'd never given it much thought until 1986 when we stayed at Mt Princeton Hot springs. The rooms had a wash stand in the bathroom. Around the stand was a towel rack, sort of. It had the hot spring water running through it. Your towels were just hot enough. Was a nice touch.

Then in 1995 we moved to a house 2 doors away. It had the furnace vents direcctly below the towel racks in the bath. That gave us hot towels when we were in heating season, cool ones in the summer. Pretty nice. And towels were never damp.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Does not work in the Florida Panhandle.

All you have is a wet towl over the top of your soppy wet t-shirt, that is over your dripping wet skin.

Humans are about 60% water, except in Florida, where we are about 127.396276% water, give or take a few ponds.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Does not work in the Florida Panhandle.

All you have is a wet towl over the top of your soppy wet t-shirt, that is over your dripping wet skin.

Humans are about 60% water, except in Florida, where we are about 127.396276% water, give or take a few ponds.

It gots to touch da skin fer it to be a workin'. Wink

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well, I put it on the back of my neck, above the shirt line, no worky.

Then took off shirt and tried across neck, shoulders and upper back, still not cool.

Walked in the house and sat for a few minutes and the AC and ceiling fans and it got nice and cool.

So, I think if the humidity is such that there is good evaporation, that it will work well.

But when it is that typical near 100 degrees and nearly 100% humidity, it's just another wet mess glommed on my body.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
[snip]

Walked in the house and sat for a few minutes and the AC and ceiling fans and it got nice and cool.

[snip]

See! I told ya it werks. Big Grin

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
Anyone use these things:

Cooling towel

I have lived in the mountain west, had a swamp-cooler (evaporate cooler) in my home, so I understand the basic principal... I don't however, understand reviews from the hot and humid south, stating these towels work great there? Maybe it's relative, and in AZ they would perform a lot better/actually work at evaporative cooling?

They would work better in a drier climate than a humid one because there is more rapid evaporation. But they may still help in a humid place. It can be so humid here in Houston, though, that a swamp coooler hardly does any good at all.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:
[snip]

[snip]

See! I told ya it werks. Big Grin

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Tried them at matches. Maybe they helped a little. Problem here is at 90 degrees, 85% humidity and a dew point of 72 degrees, not too much of nuttin' vaporates, including your perspiration.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Tried them while in the military. Even had one that mounted in my helmet. They didn't help much and felt slimy after a while.

Posts: 8276 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The instructions on mine say "humidity may reduce the effectiveness". I used it for the first time two days ago while gardening and it was pretty humid and not real effective. It was an "Endura Cool"

Posts: 1505 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
The only way that works in the near 100% relative humidity we have down here is if it is cooler than body temperature to start. Put a cool/cold wet towel on your neck and you will cool down until that towel reaches your body temp. Then it is just as the monkey said, a hot wet towel that doesn't help at all.

They do use something down here that they call "florida water", which I think is a mixture of water and alcohol. People swear it works, and I suppose the alcohol in the mix will lower the average evaporation point, thus cooling you better than plain old water or sweat.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carried a couple with me when I used to travel to China alot. Does make a difference!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 563 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

They do use something down here that they call "florida water", which I think is a mixture of water and alcohol.

Yep. But we use that solid water...