SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grocery store has some bare shelves.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grocery store has some bare shelves. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:

I still have shit from Y2K
That's a long time to be constipated.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Panicky idiots. Other than Alaska, eggs and milk do not come through ports.

I have them all out smarted. I bought four bushels of corn.
Shell the corn, and sell the cobs to people who couldn't get TP Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
I still have shit from Y2K, I am fine

I was working the night shift at Sam's Club during Y2K. Back then, they stocked overnight. The couple of months leading up to Y2K were insane. We'd just leave the pallets of canned goods, TP and bottled water up front by the registers. They sold pallets each day. Stuff was stacked up to the ceiling. I think they since changed policy to stacking no more than 2 pallets.

Posts: 13312 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do what Ms. Sig and I did - we bought a Ba-Day. Best $200.00 we ever spent related to hygiene products. Guessing we use one roll of TP a month now. Only takes two or three squares to dry off a wet bum.

Posts: 3346 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I was not aware that the US imported most of it's toilet paper. Oh wait, it doesn't. Apparently, we manufacture 90% of TP domestically. People are idiots.

https://www.wxii12.com/article...emen-strike/62488730

Posts: 4099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
People are stupid. My local grocery store today has not a single package of toilet paper, paper towels, or tissues.

I am glad that I always keep a decent stock of each and also have bidets.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8752 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I went shopping today, didn't really see any major shortages. It's hard to tell they are remodeling the store and everything is constantly moving. Paper goods were maybe 60-75% of normal stock.

I was in need of TP and paper towels so I grabbed the larger sizes of both, also happened to be on sale. I recall an economist once saying that if you see a great price on a product that you use frequently and has no shelf life, buy all of it (paper towels, TP, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, paper plates, napkins, etc) and store it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38244 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
People are stupid. My local grocery store today has not a single package of toilet paper, paper towels, or tissues.

I am glad that I always keep a decent stock of each and also have bidets.

Same here for my weekly Costco run. I know several people that work there so I asked.
“We got a full truck this morning and it was all gone within 2 hours. We don’t get more toilet paper until Saturday.” The entire paper towel/TP aisle, was zeroed. Nothing, and I mean nothing there.

And while I was there, all these people were buying 10+ of the Costco water packs. Those are like 30 or 30+ 12 oz water bottles. I’m watching these people push 2 carts of water asking myself..is your water shut off at home dumbass? WTF? Meanwhile, my fish, chicken, meat, veggies, fruit, plentiful. Freezer section, good there too. Then I thought, wow there are people really up a creek in the South East from the Hurricanes right now and these idiots are hoarding bottled water. It’s Covid all over again. They told me they were waiting on corporate to announce a TP ration, just like during Covid. Sooner the better dipshits. The guy up there I know the best, he said people were buying 8 packs of the big ass Charmin rolls. 30 roll packs. Again, using multiple carts to buy it all. He said “And they’ll fuckin’ return it, you watch, when this calms down.” Roll Eyes

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12961 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I didn't even know the toilet paper run was a thing until I got my SIG Forum news early this week. I actually needed some for our family of five when I went to Sam's Club in Des Moines on Tuesday, ever since COVID they have kept what seems like half a semi load out on the floor at all times. It looked like that supply was down by 12 cases or so. I went to Costco tonight for our Thursday "half and half" pizza and perused the paper goods sector and they had a big 4'x4' piece of cardboard on the side of a pallet with the words "Sold Out BATH TISSUE" written on it. Looks like there was still some paper towels for those with rugged cracks and forgiving plumbing.

Posts: 2604 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was reading today that Gov. Desantis is opening the ports in Florida with the help from the National Guard. They have heavy equipment operators. If the unions want to cause issues, it won't happen in Florida as it is a right to work state. I say fire them all that are refusing to come back to work and get someone else or start automation, like other places are doing. They are only going to screw themselves just like UAW.

Posts: 7080 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well they just voted to return work and accept a 62% wage increase.

Was in Costco today in mobile AL just a few miles from the port. People were going stupid over water and paper products. We needed Costco brand dog food…

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PSA - keep in mind that if you “need” TP or paper towels you can buy these at Lowe’s (at least you can in my area) as well as major cleaning supplies. I was in my local Lowe’s today buying a toilet kit and their shelves were full of TP and paper products. I did not go into my local Wal-Mart so no idea if this is even an issue in our area.

Posts: 3346 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Where does the majority of pulp used to make TP come from?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4878 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's moot. The ports are open again. So the hoarders can start enjoying eating their four dozen eggs they panic-bought and using their two-lifetimes supply of TP. Big Grin

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
So the hoarders can start enjoying eating their four dozen eggs they panic-bought and using their two-lifetimes supply of TP. Big Grin

After eating all those eggs, a good TP supply might become handy.

Posts: 8016 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Just got back home from my bi-monthly Costco run. People were pushing around carts full of nothing but TP, paper towels and cases of water. One woman was pushing one cart full of TP and pulling a second one full of paper towels. The staff were bringing in pallets of the stuff from the warehouse and customers were snapping it up as fast as they brought it in. One guy had cases of TP stacked as high as he could reach. He planned ahead though, and brought long bungie cords to tie them in place so they wouldn't tip over. Oh, and there were ZERO empty shelves, anywhere.

Then there are the big oversize cart things - whaddaya call `em, like a steel flatbed on wheels, no sides, just a push handle? I saw a woman piling one of those full of cases of water, and a guy loading one with TP and paper towels.

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Just got back home from my bi-monthly Costco run. People were pushing around carts full of nothing but TP, paper towels and cases of water.

Just heard the same thing from a friend who works at a Costco in Delaware today. Unbelievable. Truly highlights how totally uninformed most of the public really is.

Posts: 17673 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's moot. The ports are open again. So the hoarders can start enjoying eating their four dozen eggs they panic-bought and using their two-lifetimes supply of TP. Big Grin

According to my Costco employees, nah, they’ll return the shit and try to get a refund. That’s how stupid these people are Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12961 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

According to my Costco employees, nah, they’ll return the shit and try to get a refund. That’s how stupid these people are Big Grin

During a hurricane that hit Naples a few years ago all the stores had signs a week before it hit. No returns on generators or plywood. I had no problem with that. Reminds me of the low life’s that buy a big screen tv for the Super Bowl then return it after the game.

Posts: 1826 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Wifey and I did our weekly Kroger run today (eastern end of Louisville/Jefferson County). Only thing I noticed was that paper products aisle (toilet paper, paper towels, etc) were a tad bear, but everything else was readily available.

At checkout counter, management had posted signage saying a limit of two (2) packages/cartons of toilet paper and bottled water. I informed that cashier that that sign was ridiculous as the Longshoremen work stoppage was being held in abeyance until mid-January. She didn’t know what I was talking about !!!

So yeah, let those panic-buyers drink their imported bottled water from Fiji, and wipe their butts with grade triple ZZZ sandpaper.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2808 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post