SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yesterday, it was my turn. I spent the afternoon in the ER
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday, it was my turn. I spent the afternoon in the ER Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
Seems like a normal day, except I was reading the forum way later than usual. So I went to the bedroom to get undressed and head for the shower. Just like every other day. But I leaned forward and heard a loud "snap" and felt a blinding psin. It was my left ankle, and I managed to fall forward onto the bed. I was thinking "that was weird". But then I tried to get up and it was a no go at best. More pain. So I felt it couldn't be that bad and slumped against the walls into the shower.

So the count is 2 falls, but both onto the bed. It was ackward, but I managed to wash my hair and my body. But then a strange thing happened. I was lying on the floor, looking at the ceiling. And more pain in my ankle. OK, I guess I fell again. Don't remember it. So I yelled for my wife, a useless activity. She wasn't home. I tried to get up, but didn't feel too good. Then I puked. My conclusion being the day wasn't going well for me.

So every 5 or so minutes, I yelled help. Still no response. Finally after an eternity, or what seemed like it, my wife appeared at the bathroom door and asked "whats wrong with you now". She wasn't all that sympathetic, but she's a nurse so they usually aren't. And I was still wet, and I think still had soap on me. So very reluctantly, she helped dry me off.

Then the waiting game began. Hospitals aren't run for the convenience or comfort of the inmates, more for the chatting time at the nurses stations. They don't like it when you point that out, but its true.

So they xray'ed me. But the doctor heard I'd passed out an puked. He said that complicates things a whole bunch. I might have a concussion, so up comes an MRI to see if they can find my brain. No luck I guess, so they let me go home, saying it was just a torn ligament or something. No broken ankle. I still can't put any weight or pressure on it.

He did prescribe some pain pills, the narcotic kind. I thought they were doing litte, but after sleeping about 10 hours, the weight of the blankets were too heavy and made it hurt something awful. I woke my wife up about 4:30 and off to the bathroom we went. So I could take a leak and another pill. The leak did more to relieve pain than the pill.

So here I sit in my new recliner (or is it decliner?) The outlook for Christmas is more of the same.

Merry Christmas to Y'all.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Wow, I guess there's both good and bad in this story. Glad you're feeling a little better but suspect you'll see the Ortho guy this week. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
go get a second opinion please, a.s.a.p.

I won't go in too the horror story my sister went through under similar conditions.

long story short, had she not been in the driveway of the Emergency Room, she would have died .

the not knowing business would have me going nuts.

please feel better but please choose to go get another opinion.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54659 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re still around.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Dayum, I was counting on you to help me unload and set up for next w-ends RK show. I've got 3 tables and am bringing out the good stuff. Wink

Listen to your wife and be a good patient. I just had a scary thought, rburg in a hoveround terrorizing the Walmart shopping aisles... Eek

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Dayum, I was counting on you to help me unload and set up for next w-ends RK show. I've got 3 tables and am bringing out the good stuff. Wink

Wow, you and Joe are both taking the good stuff, if he doesn't back down. I'm going. And I've got a Go-go. Except they can't get it to charge, and its dead.

Joe and I are getting a table. Had I known you were getting 3, I'd have mooched off you. l've never been to a show in Shelbyville. We don't know where it is. The first show down in Somerset, I just knew there was one. So I was driving along the main strip (its a strip type town, one big road with 300 gas stations. But suddenly there was a ratty old Bazer with leaves painted on the side. It was a dead giveaway that I had a hillbilly. So I pulled in and asked him. He looked at me and said "there's a gun show in town? Follow me". Sure enough, it was at the Center, which is no where near the center of anything.

And out will come 2 of my old 44s. Guns in boxes! Both postwar, one being a 3rd model target. They only made 40 or so of them. The other being a military with a fairly low serial (95000s). Gotta be other junk to sell.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Shelbyville? I'm talking about the 3 day RK show in the horse barn at the Louisville fairgrounds Dec 27.28.29. Stewart Flea market is right next door and it will be a zoo. Not good planning to start a new show 20 miles from an established show. Wonder who is promoting the Shelbyville show?

Never mind. I googled it and it is an RK show Jan 4,5th at Shelbyville fairgrounds. I may do that one too. Will you and Joe come to Louisville this coming w-end assuming you can hobble? I'll be by myself Friday But Frakes will be there Sat wire to wire he says.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The Louisville RK show is terrible. you pay big time parking prices ($10) for a 2nd rate show. The idea of the Shelbyville show is to bypass parking fees.

We haven't seen Frakes in a long time. I've got new batteries on order from Amazon, and they should get here on next Friday. Its possible, I'll ask my oldest son about taking me.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Think you could get around on a knee scooter?

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I might have been tempted to use the old line “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.” Eventually someone would have heard it and cracked up. Come to think of it, your wife may have taken you even less seriously.

Sounds like you may have even had a ligament snap away. Hope not.

Posts: 6016 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Sympathies, my wife is also a nurse.
I’d had some virus, got up and flopped on the toilet. When I got up, I passed out. I came to, the tile was nice and cool. Comfortable I started to nod off.
The came the harsh words of a nurse. “If you don’t get up off that floor, I’m calling 911 and you’re going to the hospital bare assed naked!” I low crawled to a couch and flopped. Last I hear was “Well, that’s close enough.”

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
What a long strange trip that was.

Glad it's not your tiCker. Hang in there.

and, my Mom was a nurse. If I had a dime for every: "What do you want ME to do about it"? as the reply to my whining when sick. We kids get it taken out on us for the travesties they endure on the floors. Frown Big Grin

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post