SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legal question?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal question? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
My son worked for a land scaping company for about a month. Things with one of the owners didn't work out. He was called "fag" twice during his time there. He took it in stride. Here's the thing. My son is gay. When things came to a head when it happened the third time and he stood up for himself and informed the owner the he was gay. He response was, "What do you want me to lighten your load." He quit the next day with my full blessing. Now this company is asking him to sign a "release agreement" to collect his last check. What is a release agreement? If my son lived in this state he would have a decent case with the EEOC in my opinion. But, he goes to school in Minnesota and just doesn't of the time to pursue this issue. I just want to see this kid get his last check and move on. Any advice for a dad trying to council his son through a difficult situation?

Posts: 7653 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
State labor board?

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
My son worked for a land scaping company for about a month. Things with one of the owners didn't work out. He was called "fag" twice during his time there. He took it in stride. Here's the thing. My son is gay. When things came to a head when it happened the third time and he stood up for himself and informed the owner the he was gay. He response was, "What do you want me to lighten your load." He quit the next day. Now this company is asking him to sign a "release agreement" to collect his last check. What is a release agreement? If my son lived in this state he would have a decent case with the EEOC in my opinion. But, he goes to school in Minnesota and just doesn't of the time to pursue this issue. I just want to see this kid get his last check and move on. Any advice for a dad trying to council his son through a difficult situation?

Earned wages are owed to the employee, period. They cannot legally condition you son's receipt of his final check on signing a release. I'm not an employment law attorney, but I know a bit about the field - enough to know they can't withhold earned wages. You may be able to make a complaint to the Department of Labor if they persist. Talk to a local employment law attorney to get more specific advice.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry your son had to deal with this. Moving on is his best approach. If he did not sign anything when he went to work tell them to provide his last check. Or he will file a complaint with the labor board and include a sexual harrasment. complaint.

No excuse for that. Any of it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I'm an HR guy and with the limited information you provided he doesn't have to sign anything. I'm not familiar with your state laws but it appears that since he quit they have until the next regular payday to provide the check as long as it is not longer than 20 days.

Tell him to NOT sign a release agreement unless they are giving him something for signing that he isn't already entitled to. Many employers will offer severance pay in return for signing a release agreement.

DO NOT sign a release agreement for free.

Tell the employer that he's filing a complaint with the state labor board and they will provide the check quickly.

My Credentials: MHRM, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Director of Human Resources

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If all he needs do is "sign their paper", to get paid. Tell him to do it. If the the laws where he is employed preclude an employer from withholding and demanding a "signing", have him tell them to pound sand and demand his pay.

It does not "define" him. It defines them, as assholes.

In the world of today, such a "leaving" of a job is an insignificant bump in the road of life traveled.

Tell him to let it be a life lesson that some people are simply assholes, and that the world has an endless supply of them.

His goal is to understand this and adjust to deal with it, be "forward looking" and anticipating, without becoming target fixated.

I cannot begin to express the scorched earth anger of people who think it OK to fuck with a person for no just cause.

"Infuriating" is such a weak word for the thing.

A man who has earned a thing, is entitiled to it, with no interferance at all. Mad

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I'm an HR guy and with the limited information you provided he doesn't have to sign anything. I'm not familiar with your state laws but it appears that since he quit they have until the next regular payday to provide the check as long as it is not longer than 20 days.

Tell him to NOT sign a release agreement unless they are giving him something for signing that he isn't already entitled to. Many employers will offer severance pay in return for signing a release agreement.

DO NOT sign a release agreement for free.

Tell the employer that he's filing a complaint with the state labor board and they will provide the check quickly.

My Credentials: MHRM, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Director of Human Resources

Wise council indeed. Don't sign it.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm also in the "don't sign shit" camp. It's money he earned and is owed. There is likely a labor oversight agency (labor board, workforce development, something) that can provide limited assistance.

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
As one who does specialize in various areas of employment law (among other things), I agree 100% with the advice to sign nothing and demand the check.

If they’re concerned he’s going to sue, offer to sign a waiver and release for $X - whatever he thinks is reasonable. Nothing wrong with or illegal about that. But the wages are not optional nor can payment be conditioned upon a damned thing.

I don’t know the laws of your state, but usually there are relatively short time periods before failure to pay earned wages becomes actionable (like 30 or even 15 days). There are also usually multiple ways to go about collecting (along with various forms of damages), so you’d want to talk to a knowledgeable attorney in your state before deciding whether to file suit or a complaint with the appropriate administrative agency.

Good luck.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Here in GA, there is a DOL-800 form that employers fill out at time of separation. It states the reason and gives some information about earnings. It is used when filing for unemployment. No signature required except by employer.

My company also has an internal form that is filled out at separation to assist with final payment as well as to reconfirm where W-2 should be sent. Signatures for employer and employee. Employee doesn't have to sign.

Not being abe to read this "release" form causes anyone answering to guess contents. As others have stated. If work was performed, pay must occur.

Have him read through it and then determine best course of action. Don't sign anything releasing employer from liabilities or holding them unaccountable.

Also, was he a 1099 or W-2. A lot of small businesses used 1099s incorrectly.

It is unfortunate that he has to go through this. He should file a suit against the employee for all the reasons stated. Seems easy to make hostile environment and/or discrimination.

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
As one who does specialize in various areas of employment law (among other things), I agree 100% with the advice to sign nothing and demand the check.

If they’re concerned he’s going to sue, offer to sign a waiver and release for $X - whatever he thinks is reasonable. Nothing wrong with or illegal about that. But the wages are not optional nor can payment be conditioned upon a damned thing.

I don’t know the laws of your state, but usually there are relatively short time periods before failure to pay earned wages becomes actionable (like 30 or even 15 days). There are also usually multiple ways to go about collecting (along with various forms of damages), so you’d want to talk to a knowledgeable attorney in your state before deciding whether to file suit or a complaint with the appropriate administrative agency.

Good luck.

-Rob

As usual, BurtonRW is right on the money. Wages are earned, not consideration for a release. I too am unfamiliar with the state laws where he is, but in the 11th Circuit, the abuse he suffered would not be enough to support a claim. Although clearly discriminatory and hostile, it is likely not severe or pervasive enough to violate Title VII. It does seem like a no-brainer though for an action for unpaid wages. At least in Florida, there is an attorney fee provision which makes it easy to find an attorney to take the case.

Posts: 881 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I suspect the wording in the release agreement will read to the effect your son will not hold the company accountable for anything which occurred at the work place (ie, he won't sue them for sexual harassment). Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Shnea, Burton, JDSigManiac, and LBTRS have said what I would have said. They cannot condition release of pay already earned on signing a release. You are hearing universal agreement from people who know what they are talking about. Pay attention.

Be careful of any release. Even if they do offer something beyond pay already earned, consult with an employment lawyer to understand whether their offer is a fair exchange for the release.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Wages are owed. If they want a release, they can pay for it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Running tally: 6 members of the SigForum Bar Association say the former employer can stuff their release.

If my memory serves, Rob has done some significant practice in the employment law field, and his advice is sound.

I'll second what Artie says, too. If they are so nervous now as to want this release, they had better pay for it above and beyond the wages owed.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
7 votes. I'll throw mine in.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
All this unanimity and nobody to bill it to! Aaarrrrgh!

I won’t chime in as a lawyer but merely with the cultural observstion that in the good old days an employer could hand you the cash without worry of being hauled into court or agency with 2 or 3 versions of what happened and exposure to untold liability.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
As a member of the Bar in WA I'd say this: in WA this would be totally illegal. And while I could assume your son lives in CO, I don't know that. But I really doubt that his state of residence will allow any employer to withhold earned wages predicated on signing any release. As to just signing the release to get the money and move on I'll say this: now is not the time to be making decisions that could have a significant impact later on in life. Maybe signing it and moving on will be the best thing for him, but there is no way of knowing that now. Also I'd be willing to bet tons of my hard earned money that there is no way the employer can make him sign to get paid what he's owed (notwithstanding the fact that most states allow a separate cause of action for such income withholding shenanigans) therefore why should he possibly forfeit his rights to get something he's entitled to?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2081 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
7 votes. I'll throw mine in.

...and this vote is from an attorney who also definitely knows a thing or two about employment law!

-ShneaSIG

Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I’ll offer a concurring opinion on the matter. Don’t sign squat.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post