SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Not a “Rainbow Bridge” Post, but…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not a “Rainbow Bridge” Post, but… Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Tough decision fast approaching.

This is Jade; she’ll be 11 on the 4th of July. She’s been extremely healthy her entire life. She’s of German working dog lineage, and both her sire and dam were German imports. Smaller in frame, and extremely athletic, she has maintained a weight of 70#. No hip or joint problems at all. My wife and I took a Christmas card picture in early December and she looked as happy and healthy as she has for the last 10 years.

Then things changed. Soon after Christmas she developed an aural hematoma in her right ear. It required a surgical procedure to incise the pinna and cross stitching to prevent the inner space from refilling. Three weeks in a damn plastic cone. Very soon after removing the cone, she developed a hematoma in the pinna of her L ear. Surgery. This time, instead of a plastic cone, we bought an inflatable ring for her neck to protect the ear. I highly recommend this route over the “cone of shame” that scrapes through every doorway, around every corner, and runs into the backs of your legs.

Last night, I was on a dad/daughter music date night down in Denver. My wife called this morning to say Jade couldn’t get up this morning. She got a neighbor to help load her in the truck and took her to our vet. Diagnostics reveal advanced arthritis in her spine. She’s up and around, but her back end is unstable, and she can’t pick her R foot up completely, and therefore drags the top of her nails as she walks.

It’s very disconcerting to see a dog that has always been healthy, deteriorate so rapidly. Our vet’s great, gave her a steroidal injection and Rxs for Prednisone and Gabapentin (pain, especially nerve pain), along with a Rx for her stomach, I guess the meds are strong.

Our vet says she’s in pain, but “let’s she how she does on the meds.” We’re certainly not going the route of spinal surgery. Both my wife and I feel the ultimate decision is in the near future. She’s a great dog, kind of best of both worlds—intimidating to strangers, but she actually loves people and we never felt like she was a risk to harm anyone. Other dogs, not so much. Small dogs are like another species entirely; simply a prey species, like a rabbit or something.

I’m not likely to post in here when she’s gone, but it’s rather cathartic to tell you a little about her while she’s still around. I forgot to mention. Since the bilateral hematomas, her ears no longer stand erect. I swear she knows this and is depressed about it.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Wonderful you've had a long stretch with a great dog. They become family members. Only consolation when they pass is "God gave us dogs but when they die he takes them all back into Heaven."

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry to read your news.
Wishing the best and painfree time for your dog.
Will keep you and your dog in my thoughts.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Best of luck with Jade.

Not sure if you saw our thread, but we faced somewhat similar situation with our ~9-yr old, 22lb, Dachshund.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...730058894#5730058894

The choice was a very expensive surgery, pain meds and see if the disc backed off of the spine on it's own, or put him down.

We cashed in an IRA to go the surgery route.
Ollie is slowly getting stronger and also takes gabapentin (down from 450mg/day to 200/day now) to keep him sedated while he recovers.

Regardless of your decision it sounds like Jade has had an exemplary life and prayers from both us and Ollie.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We went the spinal surgery route with our previous dog. It was 100% and well worth the expense.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks friends. Some things to consider. Hope Ollie continues to make progress.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry dude.

I went through something similar. Our 13yo companion got struck by cancer last summer and fought hard until a sudden sharp decline in January.

It really sucks. You see the end coming and there's nothing you can do about it.

You have my deepest sympathy. I hope you can enjoy the time you have left.

I miss her so much.

Posts: 5136 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Dang that's a shame.
Nice looking GSD, they are the best. Hoping she feels better.

Posts: 1556 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She will likely rally on the pred. Don't let that give you false hope. It will work until it doesn't and long term steroid use has its own issues.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
She will likely rally on the pred. Don't let that give you false hope. It will work until it doesn't and long term steroid use has its own issues.

Yes it does, that’s a powerful drug

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry to hear this. She sounds like a wonderful girl, and we hate to see any of our pets in pain. If you haven’t contacted yet, I would think her breeder would like to know as well, flukey as this sounds- they may have some ideas or advice. I wish I had something more helpful to offer.
Take care.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Wishing for the best...prayers sent for your pup.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Thanks friends. Some things to consider. Hope Ollie continues to make progress.

Thank you and if you want to talk details/etc about the spinal surgery Ollie went through just reach out via email. Be sure to put "SigForum" in the subject line otherwise I might mistake your email as spam.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Best to you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you and your pup. My Candy is 14 years old. She is really slowing down, sleeps lots, and slow to get going. I feel your pain. It hurts. The worst part of having pets for sure.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always makes me sad and miss my boy Blue when I read threads like this. Jade looks beautiful and glad you had the privilege of raising such a good dog. Dogs have such a special place in our lives. Hard to do without them.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Best wishes on many happy days ahead. Those meds hopefully really help.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say this, but I don't think it is all due to to arthritis. Degenerative Myelopathy would be my guess, as I have gone through it with both my previous German Shepherds. It was usually diagnosed by ruling out everything else. The simple test for it is to have your dog stand and then "roll" one of their back paws so the top is resting on the ground. A healthy dog will almost immediately turn their paw right side up but a dog with DM will keep resting the paw upside down, as they can't tell the difference (anything longer that 10 seconds probably means DM). There are now genetic tests for DM, which has helped the GSD as a breed. The disease usually shows up around 7-11 years of age. Both of my previous dogs started developing symptoms at just over 7 years old.

I hope it is not the case and you have my thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
It’s very disconcerting to see a dog that has always been healthy, deteriorate so rapidly.

I went through this with my last Golden. Perfectly happy and healthy until one day when he was 9. We were throwing the ball out in the yard and I noticed him start limping a little on one of the fetches. I took him into the vet for a checkup the next day. Presumptive diagnosis was osteosarcoma and a bone biopsy confirmed it. I had to put him down a few weeks later as he was unable to even stand up.

Talking with my brother who is a vet, apparently this is fairly common with many animals. All is seemingly normal until it isn't.

Best of luck to you, it's a tough thing to go through.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
4 times now we’ve been there. It doesn’t ever get easier.

#5 is snoring on the couch next to me. He’s a big pup, and at between 8 and 10, he’s just now showing signs of slowing.

We understand and wish you all the best. I cannot adequately express how much we wish you the best. She looks like a great pup, happy and well taken care of.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post