SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tenants vs. tenets
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tenants vs. tenets Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

I use it a lot, intentionally. I hate the word "moot."

A more appropriate use is mute. If I tell you that your point is mute, I am intentionally stating that your point is without voice. Moot has a different connotation, and had I chosen to use it, I would have.

In context, the use of "mute" in the sentence, "that is a mute point," is not incorrect. It's entertaining when someone is quick to say, "you can't say that: you must say, "moot."

It's almost as though someone else insists that I use their words, as though they ought speak for me. If I tell you that your point is mute, I mean mute, and not moot. I am telling you that your point lacks voice, is silent in its effort, and means nothing to me.

Misuse of advice vs. advise is annoying. Let me give you some advise.

That's not nearly as annoying as asking for a couple of hamburgers, only to hear, "so how many is that?"

More than one, less than three.

At least you have thought about it, but I think you are the only person using "mute point" to mean that the speaker's point has no voice. You will get some grief from the grammar hounds for it. I think moot is a perfectly good word - it has a specific and useful meaning.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
... My grammar terms knowledge sucks, so I’ll probably mangle this a bit, but “Your” is an adjective specifying possession. Whose post am I replying to? I am replying to your post. ...
Possessive pronoun.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Tennant vs. Tennent . . .

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post