SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sea level rise threatens the internet, but New Orleans better prepared than most, experts say
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sea level rise threatens the internet, but New Orleans better prepared than most, experts say Login/Join 
posted
The most interesting part of this article is a picture of the cross section of cable. It looks like rainbow sprinkles, and illustrates at least to me the complexity of splicing this stuff once someone has cut the fiber.

Here is the link as the story is picture and caption heavy: You will need to scroll down to the story from the link.

https://www.nola.com/

Posts: 17284 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Your link goes to something about a judge and a city park. Try again.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The most interesting part of this article is a picture of the cross section of cable. It looks like rainbow sprinkles, and illustrates at least to me the complexity of splicing this stuff once someone has cut the fiber.

Here is the link as the story is picture and caption heavy: You will need to scroll down to the story from the link.

I don’t think the cross-sectioned cable shown is a fiber optic cable since the article says it serves 1200 homes. That much fiber could probably serve the southeastern US - or a state anyway. Still, the task of splicing whatever it is would be daunting.

Nolo has lots of problems ahead. Being built below sea level on a swamp will be problematic. Hopefully no more major hurricanes will hit there.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Hopefully no more major hurricanes will hit there.

The only uncertainty is when, not if.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your link goes to something about a judge and a city park. Try again.

As I noted above please scroll down to the story. Unfortunately there is no direct link to the story on the internet. Sorry.

Posts: 17284 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I noted that "climate change" was what the rising sea levels were attributed to, but there's been a long-known issue of subsidence in New Orleans, so there's that. Doesn't matter much about FttP if nobody can live there. But cables are abandoned and relocated all the time. BTW, I apologize for coming off sideways on you in the other thread.

FWIW, that's a copper cable in the picture, not fiber. There are "binder groups" of pairs that have colored ribbons around them to expedite splicing. The pairs repeat colors, so if you don't see the ribbon, you have to go back in the sheath until you do.

EDIT: LINK TO STORY

Posts: 5765 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Amazing how all of the horror stories of Global Warming Climate Change will take place eleventy years from now.

I thought snow was supposed to be a memory and ice caps completely gone. Where is my hockey stick graph. Confused

At least this is not a 1728 fiber, now that wouldn't be any fun at all...

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Well, I knew I lived in BFTexas, but the biggest we ever placed was 288 fiber. 1728 Eek

Posts: 5765 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Miami supposed to be under water by now?

Posts: 20132 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a partial PR piece in response to the Corps of Engineers report findings about all the levees

https://www.theadvocate.com/ne...af-87b7bc7799f6.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I wonder if New Orleans being better prepared and more planning than 'most' really matters? I wonder how much planning they have in Denver? Big Grin

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's fiber. I think that's POTS.

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Amazing how all of the horror stories of Global Warming Climate Change will take place eleventy years from now.

I thought snow was supposed to be a memory and ice caps completely gone. Where is my hockey stick graph. Confused

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
^

It’s POTS, but I’m not going to count the pairs. Maybe a couple thousand?

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I would not be a buyer of sea level waterfront property in Miami.

https://www.businessinsider.co...ise-solutions-2018-4

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I would not be a buyer of sea level waterfront property in Miami.

https://www.businessinsider.co...ise-solutions-2018-4

Business Insider is a leftist rag posing as a legitimate business publication.

New Orleans is below sea level. It always has been below sea level. The city started as a mosquito-infested swamp that was used as a hide-out by pirates and other outlaws because no one in their right mind would go after them in that malaria haven. New Orleans really should never have existed as a city.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
You haven't lived until you have punched down a multi-hundred pair telephone cable in the attic of a building in the middle of summer with the icky pick goo all over your hands. I think I lost at least five pounds sweating that afternoon.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:
You haven't lived until you have punched down a multi-hundred pair telephone cable in the attic of a building in the middle of summer with the icky pick goo all over your hands. I think I lost at least five pounds sweating that afternoon.

Never in an attic, but in a sweltering central alarm station that was well over 90 degrees, dead air. Room on the third floor. I don’t know how some of that equipment ran in that heat.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:
You haven't lived until you have punched down a multi-hundred pair telephone cable in the attic of a building in the middle of summer with the icky pick goo all over your hands.

I added it to my bucket list so I can die with unfinished business.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1965 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
^

It’s POTS, but I’m not going to count the pairs. Maybe a couple thousand?

Dammit people!

Every-time someone reposts the picture, the thread jumps and I have to start over....

One....
two...
thr....

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
POTS only? No 4wire T-1s, ISDNs, Essex lines, P-Phone circuits, Ring Downs, PG Flex, or (my absolute personal bestest total most favoritest super duper circuits of all time) #r!<k!!\! DAML lines? Cool! I've never been able to tell just by looking. Wink

At least it isn't paper or tone cable. No lead sheath to solder back shut. No air pressure alarms for sure. Should have a good twist (unlike self-supporting). If you look at the dispersion and what looks to be a yellow binder for the groups, I'd have to guess an ANMF-600, but I haven't done that stuff in a while...