SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MARS, S.C.: Wht's the story behind this story?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MARS, S.C.: Wht's the story behind this story? Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...r-AAoccgl?li=BBnb7Kz

Wash Post talks about a KKK sign being put up on the square in Dahlonega.

Now this is the WP, purveyor of piss and B/S.

What was the true story behind this?

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20328 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Ok here's what's going on
The owner wants to open another business and the council is dragging their feet
So she put up this sign to force their hand

I'm siding with the land owner here

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39778 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. Rather bad judgement in her sign choice, but that's her right.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20328 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
and what happened next would become one more pocket of America dealing with a disturbing incident at a time when hate crimes have been on the rise and new brands of white nationalism have been making a comeback across the country.

What absolute, utter bull.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30511 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that article isn't sensationalized at all Roll Eyes

I don't agree with the sign she put up, or her method here, but geez!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6235 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Well Confused

Posts: 22985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The owner of the property (who has extensive local property holdings) did this as a very poorly judged attempt to force the city council to allow her get a non-compliant building approved. She thought she was being clever for some reason.
This really isn't about the Klan, other than the reaction everybody had. And yes, it was way over the top.
The story behind the denial is long, and not simply a city government run wild, denying a property owner for no reason. This is in a small town historic district that relies on tourism and she wanted to tear down an old building(s) and put up a new hotel that doesn't fit the area. The historic district had these restrictions way before she bought it and everybody else has had to comply.
When she was denied the first time, she came back with a new plan that was much worse and was denied again for obvious reasons.

Then the sign went up and the news trucks arrived. There aren't many towns nowadays that you can mount a KKK sign on the top of the tallest building, and the news trucks won't show up.

Most everything else is a side show put on by various people with agendas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9595 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'm getting sick of this activism shit. I don't care which side. People need to STFU and go to work and then play with their kids.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11453 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'm getting sick of this activism shit. I don't care which side. People need to STFU and go to work and then play with their kids.

+1000

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 673 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
This brings up Reed v. Town of Gilbert. The town had a "ordinance imposed stricter limitations on signs advertising religious services than signs that displayed "political" or "ideological" messages." When a local church was cited, the case went to the Supreme Court as a freedom of speech issue.
Reed was a minister of a small church. To get people n, the church would put up temporary signs on Saturday and take them down Sunday. The church was cited twice, once for leaving the signs up for too long and again as the signs didn't have a date on a hen.
Basically, one had to read the sign to understand it's content. The Supreme Court ruled that this violated the first amendment.
Right now communities are revising their sign codes to make them content neutral.
It's also the reason Green wrote in her sign application "“Size of sign: 4x6.”
"Material of sign: wood (painted).” "Color of sign: Gold with Black Lettering.” "How sign will be attached to wall: Screwed.” And leaving the content out.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
This brings up Reed v. Town of Gilbert. The town had a "ordinance imposed stricter limitations on signs advertising religious services than signs that displayed "political" or "ideological" messages." When a local church was cited, the case went to the Supreme Court as a freedom of speech issue.
Reed was a minister of a small church. To get people n, the church would put up temporary signs on Saturday and take them down Sunday. The church was cited twice, once for leaving the signs up for too long and again as the signs didn't have a date on a hen.
Basically, one had to read the sign to understand it's content. The Supreme Court ruled that this violated the first amendment.
Right now communities are revising their sign codes to make them content neutral.
It's also the reason Green wrote in her sign application "“Size of sign: 4x6.”
"Material of sign: wood (painted).” "Color of sign: Gold with Black Lettering.” "How sign will be attached to wall: Screwed.” And leaving the content out.

This was nothing of the sort.
This was an intentional act by the building owner to get exactly the reaction that happened.
She was trying to extort the city to make the rules not apply to her.

Posts: 9595 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
And now we have a bunch of people in Dahlonega saying, "I'm scared!"

What babies!

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've dealt with the Dahlonega and lumpkin county councils more than once.
These people do not have the interest of the county or city at heart.
The whole political organization is run by cronyism.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39778 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
It is a beautiful town. My son and I enjoyed our visit there.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3709 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I've dealt with the Dahlonega and lumpkin county councils more than once.
These people do not have the interest of the county or city at heart.
The whole political organization is run by cronyism.

You're right about the local government, but in this case they are right.
Even a blind squirrel........

For anyone that wants to know, here is the official city response. The middle section deals with the issue of the hotel itself.

fficial-statement-city-of-dahlonega-updated-march-12017&catid=146:news-about-dahlonega&Itemid=132" target="_blank">http://dahlonega-ga.gov/index....dahlonega&Itemid=132