SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A thought experiment on why certain things are done a certain way
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A thought experiment on why certain things are done a certain way Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Getting dressed this morning I asked myself
“Why does everyone (afaik) thread their belt counter clockwise?”

Well?

And, what else is there along these lines

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
<Puts thumbs through suspenders>

<shrugs>

Razz

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
<Puts thumbs through suspenders>

<shrugs>

Razz

Well played, bolo. Well played.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
If you're right-handed it would be awkward to start clockwise. If left-handed awkward counterclockwise.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Actually it reminds me of a story.

A young girl is watching her mother prepare the turkey for thanksgiving and is enthralled as the bird is cleaned, stuffed, and dressed. All the while she asks questions about the process. Her mother dutifully answers each one. Just as she is about to put the bird in the roasting pan she trims off the tail part (the Pope's Nose) and the little girl asks her mother why she did that.

Her mother looks puzzled for a moment and says, "I don't know"

The daughter asks who might know.

Mother, "I learned this from Grandma, lets ask her." She goes into the other room where grandma is sitting with her own mother wondering if she will be around for the Christmas holidays.

Mother: "Mom, why did you teach me to cut the tail off of the turkey before putting it in the pan?

Grandmother: "I learned it from Great Grandma, I'll ask her." She leans over to the older woman and asks the question. GreatGrandma laughs until tears come to her eyes.

Great Grandma: That's the only way a turkey would fit in my roasting pan!"

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

Well?

And, what else is there along these lines

Maybe because the tail end would be in the way of the holster if fed clockwise?

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Do women wear belts the other way? I know their buttons are backwards, which is also a mystery to me.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Women’s buttons are backwards because they used to be dressed by someone else...at least that’s the answer I got when I asked the oracle

I wear my belt threaded clockwise because the end folds over the buckle and is tucked back in. This extra “tounge” gets in the way of my holster, so I put it backwards. This is my daily wear belt. It’s a 511 nylon reinforced black belt with a d ring buckle.

On all my other belts, I thread the normal way.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Maybe folks in the Southern Hemisphere thread their belt clockwise. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9014 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do women cross their arms to take off a t-shirt.

Before boobs becomes the answer they all do it, even the flat chested.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I realize its weird but I alternate to keep from getting those funky bends if done the same way all the time.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Do women wear belts the other way? I know their buttons are backwards, which is also a mystery to me.

-Rob

Aristocratic women had maid to dress them. It was easier for a the maid to fasten button which were backward to the the person being dressed. I guess when female started to use belts it just followed suit.

Posts: 1756 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

Well?
So the gig-line matches your buttoned shirt.

Posts: 45402 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I threaded mine clockwise as a kid. But I’m left handed.

Getting drafted changed that habit, among many others. Smile

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Why do women cross their arms to take off a t-shirt.

Before boobs becomes the answer they all do it, even the flat chested.

I would think longer hair keeps them from reaching for the back of the neck and that their tees aren't sweaty, they don't mind the shirt rubbing their face when coming off.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
So the gig-line matches your buttoned shirt.

I thought everybody knew about the gig line?

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

-Rob

Lost in time, and lots of reasons proposed. Loops and laces fastened lots of medieval clothes, but the (likely) reason that male upper clothing fastens essentially "flap to the right" was because weapons were generally carried on the left side, and drawing them was less complicated with no openings to catch. Armor was built with vulnerable openings to the right as well, because most men were right-handed.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
From either direction depending on what is hanging off of the belt and what will likely be removed first. My vertical cell-phone case goes at 8:30, the belt threaded clock-wise. Appendix carry IWB at 3:30 threads counter-clock wise.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Women’s buttons are backwards because they used to be dressed by someone else...at least that’s the answer I got when I asked the oracle.

Dunno if there's any truth to it but I heard that women used to always sit on the left side in church, and men on the right side. So women's buttons were backward so that they could more discreetly nurse their babies in church.

Posts: 7276 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
It would seem because the majority of people are right handed. To undo the belt, it is easier to take the belt off clockwise instead of either learning to use your left hand or reach across your body with the right hand. I dunno for sure but that's my guess.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post