SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ergonomic Desk Chair Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ergonomic Desk Chair Recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of 19tass
posted
Looking for recommendations for a good ergonomic desk chair. I am presently using an old wooden swivel chair with an added seat cushion, and its killing my lower back. TIA for any suggestions!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Herman Miller is an amazing chair. I got one for my home office a while back and the are much more reasonable than retail.

https://www.madisonseating.com...bQzqdfAaAj-9EALw_wcB

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Herman Miller Aeron.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a good chair is key. Also, if the budget allows, consider a standing desk to alternate throughout the day with. strengthening your core, along with hip stretch exercises also helps out.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aeron and Mirra by Herman Miller.

Freedom and Liberty by Steelcase.

I prefer the Aeron and then the Liberty.

The chairs come in different sizes. The Aeron in A for the short statured, B for the standard sized, and C for bigger folks.

A sit stand solution for your desk is also helpful and they range from desktop units that move the monitor and typing surface to something that moves the entire desk.

The chairs are spendy at list but office furniture liquidators usually have some in stock and there are coupons and trade discounts from the manufacturer.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Switching to a standing desk with monitor, keyboard, and mouse all set at good ergonomic heights can be great for back and neck issues. If that's an option for part of the day, it may be with considering.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Aeron.
Lots of adjustments. Well made so they last much longer than a cheaper chair.
Well worth it when you spend all day there plus what better back health saves in bills and discomfort.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Looks like its Herman Miller hands down. Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I highly suggest looking for a local office furniture store that sells used stuff.

You can find some amazing deals and get a really high quality chair.

Got a $1500 chair for my office at home for $300.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Herman Miller Aeron. I had one and gave it to my dad. Wish I had kept it. Best chair I have ever sat in.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Tried and didn't like aeron.
Tried another high end chair. Couldn't stand it.

Have had this for a long time and love it. Others have tried it and gotten it as well. chair

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Herman Miller is an amazing chair. I got one for my home office a while back and the are much more reasonable than retail.

I looked at that Madison site and found options not available on the Herman Miller site and at a much lower cost than the Herman Miller site. Several hundred dollars cheaper so I emailed Herman Miller and asked them about the Madison Seating site and was told that they are not an authorized dealer so I backed off on getting a Herman Miller chair. What have been the experiences from those that have ordered Herman Miller Aeron chairs from Madison Seating?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

I looked at that Madison site and found options not available on the Herman Miller site and at a much lower cost than the Herman Miller site. Several hundred dollars cheaper so I emailed Herman Miller and asked them about the Madison Seating site and was told that they are not an authorized dealer so I backed off on getting a Herman Miller chair. What have been the experiences from those that have ordered Herman Miller Aeron chairs from Madison Seating?

A year or more back, I picked up a like-new Aeron from Craig's List, it had papers and tags. The guy had bought for his "fiancee", she dumped him. I got a very good deal.

I wasn't going to pay retail, Madison Seating was tempting. I looked into them and was scared off. I don't remember the specifics but yeah, I'd stay away from Madison.

The CL deal was hair-raising, more than a few iffy sellers here in St.Louis. That said, it's a quality chair, parts and service are available and a good used chair might be something to consider. More than a few YouTubes on Aeron maintenance. A lot of businesses use them and replace for one reason or another.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
At the office the boss would not go for a Herman Miller. I had to go to OfficeMax and sit in the 20 they had. I quickly narrowed it down to 2. I didn't get the one I wanted because it was too large and took up too much room. I need to be able to get the arms under the desk too.

Most felt pretty poor. A handful were decent but you really have to try them with your own ass.

At home I have a Steelcase Sensor. I wish they still made those. Expensive but I love the way it lays back. Mine is pretty well done though.

Posts: 17892 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Aeron and a Steelcase Gesture in my home office.

I prefer the Gesture.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A quick note on buying used. In my experience at work the cylinder is the part that fails most often. Be sure to test setting your preferred height and then sit in the chair for 5 minutes. Height should remain where you set it. There should be no sinking. Impossible to do if you buy online so make sure your purchase is protected. The chairs are serial numbered and you can call HM to see if they're still in the warranty period.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I just replace the cylinder on my (used) Herman Miller that I've owned for about 6 years. There is an adjustment on the release that I didn't know about until after I bought the new part so it may have been unnecessary.
They aren't all that expensive and easy to replace.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
My Aeron just hit the 10 year mark. Good as the day I bought it.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:
I have an Aeron and a Steelcase Gesture in my home office.

I prefer the Gesture.

I've been looking at the Gesture for a long time. Glad to hear you like it.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I bought my Aeron in 2004, IIRC.

Love it.

But there are other similar options now.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post