Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost a friend Login/Join 
posted
I've known this man for more than 65 years.

Went to school together, double dated together, was in each others weddings, raised children together, fought in a war together and raised some hell together.

He was a renaissance man. He could rebuild an engine while quoting Shakespeare and give you a lesson on economics. He could skin a hog and discuss the history of the world.
Made his children (boys and girls) take home economics and shop class. "I want them to be able to take care of themselves and not live with me all their lives" Smile.

He was recently diagnosed with early Dementia. He ate supper the other night and told his wife "I'm tired, I'm going to lay down". About an hour later his wife realized he never did that. Always sat on the front porch and had a glass of brandy after supper.

He laid down on the couch and gave his soul to God.

Went to their house today and mow and get everything spruced up.

Sarah came out and gave me a hug and I started to tear up. "Don't you dare! You know the road he was headed down. He was blessed to pass like he did".

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

He did.

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry for your loss. I'm glad he passed peacefully.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the loss of your friend! He sounds like a person I would like to have met. He went peacefully and that is a blessing.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss.
I had some tears when I read the history you two shared.

PC

Posts: 1374 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. He sounds like an incredible person to have known for so long.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Friends like that leave the world a better place than they were born into. My sincere condolences.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a Deputy and was fighting with two guys and he drove up. Got out with his stubby ball bat and clocked one of them.

"Can you handle the other one buttercup or would you prefer I do it?"

Resident Reactionary
posted Hide Post
May he rest easy in peace till you meet again.

Peter 5:8

Posts: 2329 | Location: Upstate | Registered: June 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That's a nice tribute to a good friend. My condolences to all.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. He sounded like one of a kind great person.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1549 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insatiable reader. Book shelves full. Was given a Kindle for Christmas a couple of years and tried it, wouldn't use it "Nothing like holding a book in your hands".

Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
I offer my condolences.... And celebrate a life well lived.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1379 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace.

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
You have my condolences at the passing of your friend...that is a long time to know someone and share so many things in life...prayers for you and his family...his wife sounds like a very wise person and you a very good friend.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss, but I pray we may all go this peacefully.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your loss. Frown

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36898 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1549 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
He sounds like he was a great friend and family man. Condolences to all.

Posts: 4567 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. He sounds like the kind of man this country and our shared culture were built on.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post