Find
Notify
Tools

Yuban Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I grew up in a house where my parents pretty much exclusively drank Yuban coffee.

I've wandered all over with different coffees and coffee brands over time. Pete's Major D has been a long time favorite. I went through the phase of grinding my own beans and all of that.

I always looked down on Yuban because...well...it's what my parents drank.

On a whim a few months back, I picked up a can of Yuban at the grocery when it was on sale. Maybe it was just out of curiosity, nostalgia's sake, or sentimentality.

I have to say, it is damn good. I think I now know why it's all my parents bought during my childhood.

So now guess what? I'm finding myself buying nothing but Yuban.

Weird how that works out.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4201 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Been awhile since I had any since I quit making it by the carafe full but I always thought it was better than most store bought pre-ground coffees.

Edit to add: well I haven’t seen it here in a while and nobody seems to carry it around here anymore. Probably another reason I haven’t had any in a while. Frown

Posts: 4987 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'll look for Yuban next time at the store and give it a try.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid I recall my mom always drinking MJB and Yuban. Funny thing, I just bought some Folgers the other day. The boutique coffees have become so expensive is doesn’t seem worth the cost. Plus I’m one of those who uses cream and sugar. Not to mention that coffee used to be sold by the pound. Now it’s more money and measured in ounces.

Posts: 761 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I used to drink Yuban all the time but then it just became scarce. I'll have to check around but I doubt the stores around here carry it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5047 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I used to drink Yuban all the time but then it just became scarce. I'll have to check around but I doubt the stores around here carry it.

They changed the packaging.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4201 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Yuban is good. I drink different brands/blends but grew up with parents who drank Folgers.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24145 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I tried it a long time ago and I remember that I liked it. I haven't seen it around here in many years, but then again, I haven't been looking for it.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My folks used to drink it in the 50s and 60s, I thought it was an instant coffee....

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

I haven't seen - noticed might be more accurate - it for years, at least in the stores I shop at. I remember it being a little better than the cheap brands.

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems that I bought a can back in the day while still with my parents. They couldn't adjust to it, had to go back to Maxwell House. Yuban appears to be available in K-cups through Amazon, will have to check it out.

Speaking of coffees of yore I enjoyed the occasional Cafe Vienna International coffee from General Foods. They still make it under the Maxwell House brand, but the interweb says that they (Kraft bought them) are to stop making instant coffees later this year. Frown

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
This ans SANKA.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Just looked at Yuban K-Cup prices on Amazon, and I think I'll pass! $17.00 for 12 cups??? Nope...

Will stick to my Folgers varieties which I like, and are much cheaper!

If I still used my drip coffee maker I might try one of the 1lb containers, but I don't want to dig it out again as I prefer my Keurig Slim now.

Posts: 4595 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I looked it up on Wikipedia and Yuban is owned by the same company that owns Maxwell House. It also says that Yuban was sold in the Western US back in the day. Maybe that's still the case because I know I don't see it here in Florida.

Posts: 3389 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I looked it up on Wikipedia and Yuban is owned by the same company that owns Maxwell House. It also says that Yuban was sold in the Western US back in the day. Maybe that's still the case because I know I don't see it here in Florida.

I can find it fairly easily here in north Alabama; cannot speak for anywhere else... obviously.

Posts: 4595 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When I bought canned pre-ground coffee, the favorite was Chock Full o Nuts.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
When I bought canned pre-ground coffee, the favorite was Chock Full o Nuts.

Now I can’t get this out of my head.

Chock full o'Nuts is that heavenly coffee,
Heavenly coffee, heavenly coffee.
Better coffee a millionaire’s money can't buy.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:

Now I can’t get this out of my head.

You're welcome. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I drink Chock Full of Nuts daily. Always with breakfast. Enjoy it.
My Dad loved Yuban and had a pot on all day, every day. Would always have a cup with him whenever we visited, which was often. It was good coffee too, typically stronger than most.
Might have to try some again, as it’s been a while since Dad passed.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to drift too far in the thread, but can anyone still find Hills Brothers? Have a trip planned to hit the local Army commissary tomorrow, will look for Yuban (pricey on Amazon for K-cups just as bronicabill reported)

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post